Avoid the general training sessions except from Goalkeeping and Physical? Focus on more specialized traning?

Here FM Treq says to mostly avoid the general training sessions (the royal blue coloured ones), except for Goalkeeping and Physical. The idea beingthat you want more focused training suited to your tactics and with more focus on developing the attributes of young players. He discusses it here: (Rashidi edit: I had to remove the video as posting it here is against the forum rules. Do that under the Fansites Section, thanks)

What do you think of this idea? To me it makes sense. On the one hand I don't like the implied idea of micromanaging traning. But on the other hand I am beginning to think that it could be a little fun experimenting with it. Besides, my limited experience is that if you delegate training it is generally awful, barely develops the young players.

7 hours ago, danej said:

Here FM Treq says to mostly avoid the general training sessions (the royal blue coloured ones), except for Goalkeeping and Physical. The idea being that you want more focused training suited to your tactics and with more focus on developing the attributes of young players. He discusses it here:

What do you think of this idea? To me it makes sense. On the one hand I don't like the implied idea of micromanaging traning. But on the other hand I am beginning to think that it could be a little fun experimenting with it. Besides, my limited experience is that if you delegate training it is generally awful, barely develops the young players.

I completely disagree.  Youth team training should be used to iron out the weak spots in your young players rather than focusing on specialization.  It is much more difficult to fix the weaknesses of a player after the player turns 18 and training starts to not be as effective.  The player will have plenty of time to specialize once they've graduated to the U23 squad.  This also follows the way SI have set up the 4 unique youth team training schedules that offer a broad range of development while the U23s use the more specialized training schedules that the senior team uses.   That doesn't mean that you can't have an extra focus on certain areas for the youth squad but I think it is a very bad idea removing the General training sessions. 

2 minutes ago, rsihn said:

I completely disagree.  Youth team training should be used to iron out the weak spots in your young players rather than focusing on specialization.  It is much more difficult to fix the weaknesses of a player after the player turns 18 and training starts to not be as effective.  The player will have plenty of time to specialize once they've graduated to the U23 squad.  This also follows the way SI have set up the 4 unique youth team training schedules that offer a broad range of development while the U23s use the more specialized training schedules that the senior team uses.   That doesn't mean that you can't have an extra focus on certain areas for the youth squad but I think it is a very bad idea removing the General training sessions. 

Yeah I also got more sceptical towards this idea since I wrote this. I found some Rashiki videos regarding traning, they enlightened me a bit. Proved the point often mentioned on this forum that most stuff on YouTube is rather inferior to the best content such as Rashiki's.

I have a more specific reason:  all of the 'General' sessions, except Physical and Goalkeeping, spend time on Tactical Familiarity.  So those sessions are useful when you need to build tactical familiarity but after that, you are wasting that portion of those sessions:  SI has said that except if you change tactics or bring in new players, your team does not lose Tactical Familiarity (i.e. once it reaches Fluid, it stays Fluid).

Note:  most of the sessions under the Attacking or Defending tabs also spend time on Tactical Familiarity.

To fine tune, especially in pre-season or early-season, I look at where I need to improve Tactical Familiarity and select the sessions which train those aspects:  so if I'm lower on Trigger Press and Marking but Fluid on the others, I'll train the General-Defending or one of the Defending sessions.

Also, after you reach Tactical Familiarity with your main tactic, you can then switch to train an alternate tactic or two or three, in which case you can still make full use of the General sessions.

12 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

I have a more specific reason:  all of the 'General' sessions, except Physical and Goalkeeping, spend time on Tactical Familiarity.  So those sessions are useful when you need to build tactical familiarity but after that, you are wasting that portion of those sessions:  SI has said that except if you change tactics or bring in new players, your team does not lose Tactical Familiarity (i.e. once it reaches Fluid, it stays Fluid).

Note:  most of the sessions under the Attacking or Defending tabs also spend time on Tactical Familiarity.

To fine tune, especially in pre-season or early-season, I look at where I need to improve Tactical Familiarity and select the sessions which train those aspects:  so if I'm lower on Trigger Press and Marking but Fluid on the others, I'll train the General-Defending or one of the Defending sessions.

Also, after you reach Tactical Familiarity with your main tactic, you can then switch to train an alternate tactic or two or three, in which case you can still make full use of the General sessions.

Yeah I was thinking the same after watching a Rashidi video about training recently. That made me understand a little more.

10 hours ago, Andrew Marines said:

Probably this gives a better idea on how training affects attributes.

image.thumb.png.627cfc8f49d35eef02ecdc4c2cddcbce.png

If I understand correctly this means that the various general training schedules are very different in their overall effectiveness. The best ones being Attacking, Defending, GK and possession (in ranked order). Overall and Outfield being worse. Tactical being worse again. Physical being the worst of them all. Interesting to know whether these numbers reflect the truth.

1 hour ago, danej said:

If I understand correctly this means that the various general training schedules are very different in their overall effectiveness. The best ones being Attacking, Defending, GK and possession (in ranked order). Overall and Outfield being worse. Tactical being worse again. Physical being the worst of them all. Interesting to know whether these numbers reflect the truth.

My advice - stop watching videos and use that time to actually play the game instead 👍.

A little while ago you started a thread called “How to be reasonably successful without being too perfectionist? In particular regarding youth development”.  And now here you are looking at detailed general training schedules - and all because you’ve been watching loads of videos and, if you don’t mind me saying, getting yourself a bit confused with it all.

If you want to get into the detail then that’s perfectly fine, but walk before you run.  Delegate General Training to your Assistant (he’s actually pretty good at it), set up individual training for each player, assign players to training units, set up some mentoring groups (if needed) and let them get on with it.  Then play the game and learn stuff as you go along without getting bogged down in the detail.  Expand into the more detailed stuff (if you want to) as and when you feel comfortable with the rest of things 👌.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

My advice - stop watching videos and use that time to actually play the game instead 👍.

A little while ago you started a thread called “How to be reasonably successful without being too perfectionist? In particular regarding youth development”.  And now here you are looking at detailed general training schedules - and all because you’ve been watching loads of videos and, if you don’t mind me saying, getting yourself a bit confused with it all.

If you want to get into the detail then that’s perfectly fine, but walk before you run.  Delegate General Training to your Assistant (he’s actually pretty good at it), set up individual training for each player, assign players to training units, set up some mentoring groups (if needed) and let them get on with it.  Then play the game and learn stuff as you go along without getting bogged down in the detail.  Expand into the more detailed stuff (if you want to) as and when you feel comfortable with the rest of things 👌.

Exactly this. You can watch all the videos in the world, but there is still no guarantee that you will understand the game more than you will than if you actually play it.

A prime example is right here, in the tactics and training forum. There are so many members who can write insanely detailed threads about creating tactics, how it works and why. But, they have all been playing for a long time. They have reached the point where they understand the whole micromanaging aspect and they know what works for them. People like @Cleon, @Rashidi and @crusadertsar can all write in depth and informative guides because they have been playing for a number of years and know what works for them (I know I missed out a hat full of other class creators).

As has been mentioned, take your time to learn. You will enjoy it more.