Praise/criticise players - effectiveness - in particular regarding training and match performances

I wonder: Excactly how effective is it to praise/criticise players for their traning and match performances?

I am convinced that it is quite effective. Both from my own sparse experience as a rather new FM player. And from what I see elsewhere. But I wonder excactly how effective it is.

More specifically I ask because I am in some ways undecided as to how I prefer to play the game. On one hand I don't want to be too succesful, with total succes being a foregone conclusion and only a matter of time. To a large extent I prefer results that I not too far off what would be realistic for the club. On the other hand I don't want to do terribly either. And it is nice to understand the game mechanics and know of easy ways to improve performance.

My impression so far is that it works well to praise weekly training ratings from around 7.75 and above (perhaps even above 7.5, I am not sure). Criticise at 6.45 or lower. And similarly with match performances. Goes for all squads, senior squad, U23, U18.

But I wonder whether these morale boosting actions is too effective for my subjective taste. Whether that style is almost a way of exploiting that game, making it too easy. I wonder excactly how effective such morale boosting actions are.

I also wonder HOW these morale boosting actions are effective. They obviously improve morale and thus match performance. I imagine improved morale also improves training performance to an extent. But I wonder how much these morale boosting actions influence player development, I mean attribute improvements.

I see that similar topics have been discussed before. But not in this detail. And besides, I only found 4-5 year old archived post. So I hope it is not out of hand to make a new post about this.

Edited by danej

Praising and criticising players should IMO only be for exceptional performances and certainly not for every training report or game unless it was well out of the ordinary.  If you keep it rare, then it will be appreciated more- do it all the time and it will encourage complacency.  The effect will be positive ( or negative ) but will be reasonably short-lived.  I doubt that this will have any major effect on your results but will not go wrong.

17 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Praising and criticising players should IMO only be for exceptional performances and certainly not for every training report or game unless it was well out of the ordinary.  If you keep it rare, then it will be appreciated more- do it all the time and it will encourage complacency.  The effect will be positive ( or negative ) but will be reasonably short-lived.  I doubt that this will have any major effect on your results but will not go wrong.

Interesting. Perhaps this means that although the player responds positively to frequent praise/criticism, the actual end result might not be positive, in spite of what the player response suggests. If you do it frequently that is.

Edited by danej

13 hours ago, FrazT said:

Im not so sure that it leads to complacency, i have been praising every one for training performance over 8 for a few years and it seems to help players develope more then not doing it, ive seen players 27+ years old going up in attributes by doing it. Does not work on all players but postitive personalities seem to react better.

But to answer the op, in my experience praising players for good form always seem to lead to a patch of bad games, i tend to only do it if i players has a good game and i get it in the news feed then i praise him.

I praise every week, every player above 8.00

If you do it regualrly, you start to get training performances hitting very high marks from many players.

I get trianing scores of a 10, some 9s and a quite a few 8s.

You could probably do it every two weeks if thats too much.

Criticise the low ones too, otherwise they dont improve.\

And praise development when there are quite a lot of up arrows or you get a report saying remarkable improvements.

And criticise the ones that dont develop enough, even if they argue back. Criticise enough and they may get a big boost to their determination or workrate attribute.

If you repeatedly praise or criticise a player within a short window, they can become irritable and it will become counter productive. If you criticise player development at a certain age (about 29/30) the player might disagree and get in a huff also.

I praise/criticise training regularly, and praise/criticise development every other month.

Edited by Dotsworthy

Fining players for bad match performance (for me below a 6.6) is most effective, in my experience. Often you will get a message saying "Player A has responded well to the disciplinary action and is improving his game" etc. Fine them 1 days wages for 1 bad performance. It seems to give me consistent results.  Players rarely get annoyed at that amount of money fined, but some players will not like it no matter how much you fine them..... So don't abuse it.