Counter Pressing and/orTrigger Press

I’m simple and need this explaining. 

Basically I wish to create a 352 WB formation, so the 2 strikers/CM-A are the ones that score (set pieces aside) and I don’t wish them to move out of position. 
My wing backs will be wing backs doing their thing, which leaves the remaining 3 x CD and 2 x MC (or 1 x MC and 1 x DM perhaps).

My question is this:- how do I ensure the best defence using the remaining players (and GK)? I get confused as there seems to be a lot to consider and surely some decisions affect others. I’m not a fan of many, if any instructions. 4231 OP tactics bore me. So where possible I let players make their own decisions on passing, don’t play high lines etc… In my head all the following can shape how I defend. 

counter press button,

trigger press slider,

stay on feet/tackle harder/neither 

Individual player instructions 

opposition instructions 

lines of engagement/defensive (I nearly always leave them as they are or lower the LOE

Is it possible with a mid table team, with good but not fast defenders to be defensively solid? By that I mean in the sense that they won’t needlessly give penalties away, but also won’t chase every player as soon as they see them. Sorry I’ve been at work all day and not sure if I’m writing this while making sense. 

Don’t ask me to produce a tactic as I haven’t yet. This is merely me asking for help to understand the basic principles of how my instructions and decisions could help/hinder the less risky defensively solid aim I wish to achieve. Cheers in advance 

Edited by Englishhammer
Spelling

3 hours ago, Englishhammer said:

I’m not a fan of many, if any instructions.

That’s totally fine. In that case I would just make adjustments to the pressing triggers instruction. 

Slightly lower it, if you are after protecting space against a superior opponent for example

slightly increase it properbly, if your team is the favourite to regain possession more quickly. 

remember tho, it’s not the instructions alone, that make a good Defence. Mentality, Formation, roles and duties do also play a very important role. 

Edited by CARRERA

I've toyed with a deeper line, higher line of engagement and the OI's to never press any of the opposing CB's.

It had some solid success until the latest ME update which has led to a glut of goals being scored from long balls over my defense despite being set up deeper.

It could be something to work with again to see if you can essentially get to a point where you're forcing CB's to lump the ball forwards to aerial contests with an aerially superior defensive unit.

If the goal is defence stability then I would avoid the use of the wide CB role and have 3 CBs. If you arent using a DM then one of the CBs (the middle one usually) should probably be a stopper to stop the opponent exploiting the space in front of the defence.

Keep team instructions on standard is fine. Maybe consider split press (front 5 players have more urgent press individual instructions). Lowering the team instructions (deep def line, less urgent press, etc...) will improve defensive stabilty at the cost of increased pressure.

I'd recommend defend narrower (force opposition outside) though. With 3 big defenders crosses can be easily dealt with.

If you do end up using a DM then having him man mark their AMC (if they have one) is often a good idea.

Using a phone to type this, so please excuse any typos. Plus I am heading from the hospital atm.

352 formation

Counterpress. This is an instruction primarily for sides to maintain possession immediately after losing the ball. To do so they might break formation in an attempt to win the ball. This has the potential of causing you to lose a bit of shape so it’s vital to observe your own time immediately after it’s lost the ball. In an effort to win the ball back, did it make things worse? We’re you able to win the all and do something with it.

Whenever I play with this instruction it’s meant to be for sides that want to attack. If you don’t have players with the necessary skills you could struggle.

The instruction ties in closely to LOE and DL. The LOE will be triggered by your front line, so if it’s set much higher, your strikers will be the first to try and engage the oppo players but again this depends on your pressing intensity. Set it too low and the player individual zonal marking areas may be smaller. Here your defensive line plays a big role.

The interaction between the LOE and thr DL create what coaches irl call the zone of compression. This is the area they will try and force the oppo into. That is the area that becomes the battleground. If your dL is set to low and your LOE is high your zone could be very big. And if your pressing intensity is also low the opposition could work the ball all the way to your backline without too much pressure.

For a 352 I typically like to play higher up the pitch with a high defensive line because I want my backline high enough to support attacks turning the WBs into quasi wingers.  

Since i want to play higher than the counter press will be useful since I want my 352 more attacking. If it was not chosen then there could be times immediately after losing the ball where I could find my wingbacks retreating too early.

However I could also playa more defensive variant of the 352 without counterpress but here maybe my DL is set to balanced my LOE could also be set to standard, my players are told to press on the middle notch and my players are told to stay on feet. Now I am playing to restrict space with direct passing, and perhaps a TM/AF combo I could be relying solo on opposition turnovers to score goals.

On 04/08/2022 at 10:29, Bellyfish said:

If you arent using a DM then one of the CBs (the middle one usually) should probably be a stopper

Every other tactic I’ve seen people used Cover so I always stayed away from Stoppers. However I decided upon a DLP-S in CM so placed a CD-Stopper in the middle of my defence and they work really well together. 

On 03/08/2022 at 23:50, CARRERA said:

Slightly lower it, if you are after protecting space against a superior opponent for example

slightly increase it properbly, if your team is the favourite to regain possession more quickly. 

Weirdly yesterday, FM Scout on YouTube released a video about pressing. Apparently high pressing doesn’t wear your players out as much as you think which surprised me. So while I won’t counter press, my trigger press is bolder than I originally would’ve gone for. But again, when defending a lead, I slide it down a notch again. 

12 hours ago, Rashidi said:

However I could also playa more defensive variant of the 352 without counterpress but here maybe my DL is set to balanced my LOE could also be set to standard, my players are told to press on the middle notch and my players are told to stay on feet. Now I am playing to restrict space with direct passing, and perhaps a TM/AF combo I could be relying solo on opposition turnovers to score goals.

I’ve kind of gone down this route but with a DLF/AF who as I suspected mainly score the goals along with my Mez-A. Early days but I think I’m managing what I wanted so far. Hard workers playing it safe and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. Risky football for getting wins, but safe for draws and cheekily nicking a win.

I know it’s only Watford and Wolves but i always found Wolves a strange one on FM22. I either easily beat them or they easily beat me. Thanks to everyone.

9F82B645-1F8F-4113-861F-1918A2F980B6.thumb.jpeg.900bcbaccfe49a5cc9548dbca4dc84b5.jpeg

Edited by Englishhammer
Spelling