LOSC under Paulo Fonseca

Hey guys,

I'm a Lille fan and I am really excited for this new season under Paulo Fonseca, especially after our great game against Auxerre.

I'm not a Serie A follower but I was aware of his pretty good job there, and recently I watched his episode on the "Coaches Voice" YT Channel and I know he likes a 343 formation when in possession.

Here is our starting line-up for our first game. 

All our left backs were absent (Gudmunsson suspended and Ismaily just arrived) so Fonseca chose Djalo in this position. This way, it formed a back 3 when in possession, so I chose the full-back role with a defend duty and a "stay narrower" PI. Jonathan Bamba was in charge of bringing width on this side.

Zedadka on the other side was positioned higher, almost like a winger but he still participated in the build-up, so I gave him the complete wing-back role on support duty, with Benjamin André as a ball winning midfielder on support duty to win some balls high up the pitch and still cover the side of the attack-minded Zedadka.

Cabella was clearly a mezzala on attack duty, he was the most attack minded midfielder by staying wide between Bamba and Bayo, behaving almost like a left forward.

I think our new striker Bayo was a pressing forward on attack duty because he helped with the pressing but did not participate much in the build up, preferring to keep defenders busy and make some room behind him.

For Jonathan David and Angel Gomes I'm not really sure.

Jonathan David behave like a second striker in possession, he was free to roam and stayed narrower in possession so I chose Trequartista with "stay narrower" PI.

Angel Gomes was our first playmaker, he came down to collect the ball and organize the play, and was a bit higher in possession to form the 2 man-midfield with Benjamin André. I guess he could also play as a deep-lying midfielder on support in the CM strata but he's not great defensively and I prefer to have a player in front of our CDs to protect them during our high pressing in order to stay a bit compact, especially with our pretty slow CDs.

Do you think it's consistent ? If not what would you change ? 

This tactic will obviously change a bit when our mercato will be over (a proper left back with a midfielder a bit more solid defensively) and when all our players will be available but I guess it will be the same idea.

image.thumb.png.5f54087cee1b62081054b31227665be0.png