Struggled for Possession in the opposition’s half.

Direct style is not the case since i play on standard in coutious mentality while  not good enough since i am the best team in my championship by far.

Is it according to your knowledge that not many people stepped on the opponent's territory?
because we are in a hurry to develop?

I am trying to develop in FM21 a cautious tactic and while i am getting the results in some games we have reduced offensive activity and i think that has something with the above..

any help appreciated 

My Cautious.png

It’s properbly poorly phrased, but it  basicly means that your team was pressed into their own half most of the time which basicly fits your cautious mentality. 

A higher mentality will move your players higher up the pitch and helps you to win back possession early. Overall you will spend more time in the oppositions half 

It could be also the fact that you have "take more risks" on a lot of players(F9, AP, IF) and be more expressive too. This will lead to more difficult passes and you could lose the ball in any moment. Not sure if this is the case for "Struggled for Possession in the opposition’s half." Tho.

So what it means is that i cant keep possesion and lose the ball in the opponents half.

As Carrera said is poorly phrased since i half in most of my games possesion that exceeds 60%.

But maybe has to do with the fact ,as you said,that i am loosing it since i have "be more expressive " enabled and some roles with take more risks.

1 hour ago, Panosgeo79 said:

As Carrera said is poorly phrased since i half in most of my games possesion that exceeds 60%.

Yeah, but possession is achieved in your own half as you are on a cautious mentality and trying to play out from the back. 

Your team doesn’t give away possession because they are too risky (check your pass %) they simply need too long to transition into the oppositions half. 

As long as results are fine just keep going, I was only about to tell you what the game is trying to express with that phrase

4 ore fa, Panosgeo79 ha scritto:

So what it means is that i cant keep possesion and lose the ball in the opponents half.

But maybe has to do with the fact ,as you said,that i am loosing it since i have "be more expressive " enabled and some roles with take more risks.

There's only one way to find out. Full match and analyze. You'll understand perfectly what's happening 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/08/2022 at 22:46, Andrew Marines said:

There's only one way to find out. Full match and analyze. You'll understand perfectly what's happening 

You don't need to do a full match to analyse, dear lord. Just look at the transitions that matter, double check vs the statistics to see if your players are doing what they are doing.

When the tactical feedback says you struggled to keep possession in the opponents half, it means that you your transitions are most likely breaking down in the final third. Looking at your tactic, there are some issues. You have an attacking unit that bombs forward on attack duty, then you have an F9 that looks to drop deep to feed the ball to them. Now ordinarily I would say that isn't a bad idea., but when I look at your roles and duties I start asking myself some questions.

When your ball moves through the defensive tier, you have a wingback who needs to dribble a lot to get the ball up the pitch, he has a DM on support who could help but thats all. While its nice to have him on support the wingback has zero options to pass the ball if the DM is marked out, then when he gives it back to the central defender, the whole transition starts all over again. If he goes right you have a fullback on support who needs to also do the same. Here he has the further complication of not having anyone else to support him apart from a Mezzala who would operate nicely in the halfspaces . Together they could craft crossing chances for the far side of the pitch. But wait, there is a AP(A) who tries to surge through the middle.

So who does the FB pass/cross the ball to? Then you have the AP working with a an F9, three cooks trying to work up a goal scoring chance, which incidentally only happens to be the two wide wingers. In a nutshell its not a good formation because you told your backline to play with low risk, they may not try the chancy move, so your transitions will break down.

Solution?

Give the WB and FB more options, play ball playing defenders, they can help bring the ball up so if they are marked out they will offer passing options.  I wouldnt play with an AP(A) F9 and Mezzala. I would change the AP to a CM(A) at least now the Mezzala has two targets. If you are going to play with an F9, I would only play with a high block if I had top quality players then I would work ball into box and turn the FB to a WB as well. Why? I would want the wingbacks to dominate the flanks this creates marking issues for the backline. Furthermore I would consider playing a mid block on balanced mentality instead of a high block. 

13 ore fa, Rashidi ha scritto:

You don't need to do a full match to analyse, dear lord. Just look at the transitions that matter, double check vs the statistics to see if your players are doing what they are doing.

Maybe that's just me but i don't understand anything if, at least at the beginning, i don't watch full matches. I don't trust the stats and neither the key highlights the game is proposing me. Not because they are not key highlights or good stats, just because, especially online, people try different roles and that action could be just luck. For example a guy that tried an RMD with a mez-A and a wb-s(probably with offensive mentality). The RMD couldn't move well 90% of the match but the game proposed onto key HL two actions from that side. I was worried but rewatching it full match made me understand that those two actions were just random and when i played against him, they didn't happen.

I'm not suggesting to watch every match full match(i'd be crazy) but at least half a match with higher speed until you see something not working well can do the trick and it's a lot more effective than wait  for a transition that matters(cause a lot of people can't understand well if it matters or not)

6 hours ago, Andrew Marines said:

Not because they are not key highlights or good stats, just because, especially online, people try different roles and that action could be just luck. For example a guy that tried an RMD with a mez-A and a wb-s(probably with offensive mentality). The RMD couldn't move well 90% of the match but the game proposed onto key HL two actions from that side.

Generally when you are playing on key highlights and against humans, its pretty hard to judge anything that happens as a lot of the chances could be down to dumb luck. You could have made a change and while you were making it, the other guy could have been making another change at the same time. I do that a lot when I am playing against someone online because my changes are anticipatory. 

Against the AI on the other hand, when learning how to understand transitions I would recommend people play it on extended at least, until they learn to spot what the key highlight is all about. Every key highlight is meant to show something significant, some people can pick it up quickly and others don't. Its just experience.

On 23/08/2022 at 07:33, Andrew Marines said:

Maybe that's just me but i don't understand anything if, at least at the beginning, i don't watch full matches

I understand what you mean. i used to watch the first 10 min of every game on full highlight just to get the flow of the game and make adjustments if necessary then I go back to watching on comprehensive or extended unless I feel like the flow of the game has changed again then I will go back to full match for some minutes again. I think that is more time efficient then sitting to watch one game for 90 min