passing directness and tempo slider and mentality

different mentalities same passing and tempo. so is the directness and tempo the exact same for all these mentalities when set like this? can i set the directness and tempo the same a balanced tactic but increase player mentalities this way? if not they should change the wording. 

1.PNG.e30021ad16383efd3b3fd99283dbd166.PNG

2.PNG.c1768f88ee301f3ee78ff4a0dae651b4.PNG

3.PNG.ff508e3eaafde667240ad1830d835174.PNG

This is not approved in any way, but all instructions are related to their assigned mentality. A Higher Tempo on a cautious mentality will be different from a higher tempo on an attacking mentality.

I know, it doesn’t make sense and SI should really make that clear by naming it accordingly.

However, you can check this by looking at defensive instructions. Check out a higher line on cautious and compare it with an attacking mentality. You will notice the high line on attacking mentality will be slightly higher eventhough both are name „higher line“

15 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

This is not approved in any way, but all instructions are related to their assigned mentality. A Higher Tempo on a cautious mentality will be different from a higher tempo on an attacking mentality.

I know, it doesn’t make sense and SI should really make that clear by naming it accordingly.

However, you can check this by looking at defensive instructions. Check out a higher line on cautious and compare it with an attacking mentality. You will notice the high line on attacking mentality will be slightly higher eventhough both are name „higher line“

much confusion such wow

so if i wanna play at whatever shorter passing and normal tempo is at balanced but on a higher mentality, how would i do that? just eye ball it in game when there are so many other variables? 

55 minutes ago, thebreadlady said:

so if i wanna play at whatever shorter passing and normal tempo is at balanced but on a higher mentality, how would i do that?

You properbly cant. Under the hood there is a 1-20 scale (the more attacking, the closer to 20) for everything as far as I understand the Manual correctly. The tactics creator is just a „simple“ way of showing you how your style could be refined.

I would approach it like a do more or do less of something in relation to your mentality. So if you are not happy with default passing directness on a certain mentality, you can instruct your players to either look for more safe and short passes or to take more risks by playing it direct for a quicker transition. 

Instructions are not absolutes. 

Mentalities

What are the differences between mentalities and what do they change behind the scenes?

In keeping with the theme throughout this manual, mentalities – like attributes and many other in-game scales – can be thought of as being scored between 1-20. A Very Attacking mentality moves the score closer to 20 and represents the fact that the team is being asked to operate in a more attacking manner. Conversely, a Very Defensive mentality moves the scale much closer to the other end. Each base Mentality adjusts a number of tactical settings ‘under the hood’, combined with your tactical instructions, including intensity of press, line of engagement, tempo, attacking width, directness and time-wasting.

Edited by CARRERA

On 14/08/2022 at 13:41, thebreadlady said:

so if i wanna play at whatever shorter passing and normal tempo is at balanced but on a higher mentality, how would i do that? just eye ball it in game when there are so many other variables?

I think people over complicate things by trying to know every single detail.

Personally, I don't ask myself or want to know if shorter passing on balanced is shorter than the shorter passing on attacking mentality. I just set the team up how I want then if I'm watching the games and I see the passing is still a bit long then I'll reduce it, if it's too short, I'll increase it

Mentality is a modifier of player and team instructions, and can probably be accurately referred to as a risk modifier.

I.E - A More attacking mentality is going to lead to a higher tempo, more width, more direct passing, higher defensive lines, a more fluid team shape, more base pressing, a more "attacking" player mentality.

Something that can confuse the heck out of people, a winger on attack within a cautious team mentality is likely to have the same or lessor individual mentality than a winger on support within a very attacking team mentality. 

Basically - Team mentality is a modifer, not a key indicator.

TIs tweak what's already there. Very Defensive Mentality has a very low tempo. Very Attacking Mentality has a very high tempo. As said above, imo it is best to keep things simple:

Is the tempo too low; players holding onto the ball too long before passing/shooting/dribbling? A higher tempo can help that.

Are you seeing too many long passes? I'd ask for shorter passing.