Basic vs Advanced Rules?

sh3rvin

The main benefits of the advanced editor are you can create much more accurate competitions, or create the most complex things you can imagine, including multistage completions and interconnected completions. The basic editor is just that  basic.

But there are many downsides to it

It's not very forgiving, it is very hard to learn and in places not very intuitive, it provides very little guidance. It's very bloated, with so many options clearly added for one specific competition. It will fail to run at times without giving you a clear reason why.

But when you can create something you dreamt up I find it very rewarding, much more so that the basic editor.

First place to start is to find an existing country you are interesting in, and open it up and see how it's been done.

Why not use both? Personally I typically use basic rules to setup the basic structure of a league and then switch to advanced to fine tune things. Basic will do a lot of the work for you and produce fewer errors, especially good for things like setting up playoffs in a league, significantly easier in basic. Advanced lets you do extra things like setting up different amounts of TV revenue on a per match basis, depending on what type of TV/match it is or the reputation of the teams involved.

6 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Why not use both? Personally I typically use basic rules to setup the basic structure of a league and then switch to advanced to fine tune things. Basic will do a lot of the work for you and produce fewer errors, especially good for things like setting up playoffs in a league, significantly easier in basic. Advanced lets you do extra things like setting up different amounts of TV revenue on a per match basis, depending on what type of TV/match it is or the reputation of the teams involved.

This. I work in the same way. Set up stuff in basic, sometimes set up things in such a way that it is easier to use or replicate things in advanced.

On 15/08/2022 at 02:26, rusty217 said:

This is how i do things. I still haven't managed to create a competition from scratch in Advanced rules.... its the Cups/TV coverage which is the biggest point of me using Advanced rules