Ten Hag's New Look Man Utd Tactic: Is It The Way Forward? And Roles?

I thought Ten Hag got it spot on vs Liverpool in the 2-1 win, and im thinking this tactic really suits the pacey players Man Utd have up front.

Just wondered what you thought of this interpretation of roles that were used in the game?

1413145803_Screenshot2022-08-22at23_19_09.thumb.png.f5e492d9d26f8aca5c487abe1a4c1775.png

There is a lot of depth in the squad, Casemiro, Fred and Van De Beek can all come into midfield, there are other centreback options too.

In terms of team instructions, id say:

Positive Mentality: Look to get the ball forward into attacking areas quickly with direct passes into the front players and dribbles. Not so much emphasis on patient buildup.

Counter When Possession Is Won: Look to exploit the gaps left by the opposition immediately with balls in behind the defensive line. Man Utd did this a lot v Liverpool

Standard Defensive Line + Lowe Line Of Engagement: Hold a compact 4-4-2 in defensive shape, be organised and difficult to break down.

Defend Narrow: Ditto, structurally solid.

Could also POSSIBLY see GK distribute to flanks, but not essential.

I really enjoyed the way Man Utd played in this game and would love to implement this style into FM.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!!

I wouldn't use a Treq and would use a support role instead, for me I would use the PF(s) so there is more aggression when entering the mid block, I like this role a lot due to the surprising plays and dribbles it makes as well once the ball is won back. BBM or just close down more PI + CM(s) for McTom. Martial could be have emphases to take more risks PI for his second assist and the attempted pass for Van Beek once he arrived into the area. Erikson: I'm not sure, if I want to have a counter attacking team I wouldn't use a playmaker however it doesn't mean you can't be successful with one so the choice is up to you.

When the counter attack started everyone seemed to have a channel to attack like Basketball and it didn't look like they getting in each others way. Stopper CB also up for speculation and I wouldn't use a Cover because I don't think it works great in a back 4 imo. Early crosses into the area TI (or not best to leave Final Third blank) , I saw a counter with an early cross by McTom? and Alisson stepped up to sweep the cross. 

This is some of my thoughts on what I saw, so I apologise if I got some it wrong. 

Edited by De Nile

Might be proven wrong - but both in FM and in real life, the system they played yesterday was spot on for playing against teams like Liverpool, City, maybe Arsenal/Chelsea in the PL. Where UTD can play the counter style that suited them well a few years ago.

In FM especially, I find that long-term, especially in competitive leagues like the prem, it is difficult to play the counter / low block style. The smaller teams will let you have the ball and the whole plan of 'exploit gaps with balls in behind' is gone because there will not be any gaps if the other team also sits back with their low compact block.

Maybe only change I'd make is mctom on CM/D?

Let us know how you go.