Nagelsmann's 343

Last year, while watching Bayern i was amused by that 343 that they were playing. I know they didn't play as best as they could have(especially with VillaReal) but that tactic kept coming into my head.

That day it started the creation of this tactic( I haven't copied it entirely tho. I've tried setting it up as a positional play).

Let's start from the basic:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0255fbba23bf3cab614b98b16bf53bfb.png

This tactic is a lot more easy as people would expect it to. 3 CDs and a single pivot while the other CM plays in a more advanced position.

The defenders are free to push up into the field to create overloads and space for their teammates:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ee16205cb990d052ecddb26780014e8e.png

AM(RL) are usually narrow. They play in the half-space and support both the build-up and the striker.

Wingbacks play a lot wide and highe up on the pitch. They provide width(this could be exploited by AM(RL)) but not help a lot in the build-up phase.

Probably now you can understand why this didn't work 100%(i'm not saying it doesn't work watch out): This requires a lot of technical and decision making abilities. The moment any of your players make a mistake, it could lead to an easy goal for the opponent.

Recreating this in football manager wasn't easy. We faced two main issues:

but right now i think this is close to what we wanna obtain.

Let's start with some screenshot and a bit of explaination.

1542668282_FreepassfortheAR.png.5fac2a6d58d07ca642fd5d47a3cae5df.pngThis is usually what our tactic looks like in an early phase. We can see the players dividing themselfes in the correct spaces.

As we said, all of the 3 central defenders are free to get further forward with the ball:

1956203841_Liberogoingforward.png.0dcb42d7d026b5d6d1d8b902f8051d76.png675581294_WCBgoingforward.png.f3a2cdf68449df74e7cacc50c6b18d70.pngThis creates a lot of issues when facing mid blocks. An opponent needs to go mark the defender and this open the space for another pass.

In both screenshots we can see how the AM(RL) drop to get the ball but are always ready to exploit the opposition's defence:

Spoiler

1859320224_ARDROPPING.png.52328149418ed9859b7b3c6b9f972155.png1288857313_passingoptions.png.ff10dcee1a99d6c48fe9464b6c11614c.pngWe can see how many passing options has our midfielder in this situation.

This creates overloads that make the opposition's defence to shift into that side of the pitch:

130603729_Overloadleftside.png.ce171bce22503322f3e7082fcf7878a4.png

When we finally get into the final third, our team plays as a 2-3-5 or a 2-2-6, with the defender(the one on the same side of the ball. If we're in the middle it's usually a 3-1-6) that acts as a midfielder:

401034260_Finalthird.png.a136d7641742a557a44c8671ce874edc.png

When we get there, the ritmo is usually low except if there's a good killer ball.

Wingbacks don't want to cross instantly. We don't want to cross by the byline cause all defense is already set up at this point. this is when  the defender is important. We use it as an half-space midfielder that can retain possession and switch it to the other side. he can play a killer ball or a simple pass. It's his choice.

You need to be the better team to make this work as intended so i won't attach any results i got with this. This is just to see amazing actions and plays by our team.

In a comment, i'll attach two-three videos of the results.

TACTIC:

Spoiler

image.png.46728fa5ccd2530e806808ac6cbdc9ca.pngWB-AUTO WITH:Get Further forward, Cross less often, stay wider.

Edited by Andrew Marines

This tactic was used by Nagelsmann while Davies was out last season (don't know why you said few years ago?). Wing Backs were players like Coman, Gnabry and Sané, so absolute Wingers and they'd go and stay at the height of the last line pretty much all the time. That would be way more aggressive than what you lined up here. This tactic also was I think not played in any games, where they weren't expected to have less than 70% possession anyway, only one was he switched to that against Leverkusen at 1-1 around the 60th minute.

I have a tactic called Nagelsmann 3-2-4-1 in my folder which I made in March according to the file, so it was at the time where this was used by Bayern. I can't say the exact reasoning for the roles/instructions anymore but I think I looked into it at that time. From what I remember I think it did well on a test besides of course stuff like Dortmund away and CL away games, but that's not what it was made for anyway. Just to maybe give you some ideas. Roles are of course made for the players, CF is Lewandowski, SS Muller, Treq Sané in his half space role, VOL Goretzka and playmaker Kimmich.

nagi.JPG.48ac75eb82d17aa2e22598fea366dc60.JPG

1 minuto fa, FelixCAN ha scritto:

This tactic was used by Nagelsmann while Davies was out last season (don't know why you said few years ago?). Wing Backs were players like Coman, Gnabry and Sané, so absolute Wingers and they'd go and stay at the height of the last line pretty much all the time. That would be way more aggressive than what you lined up here. This tactic also was I think not played in any games, where they weren't expected to have less than 70% possession anyway, only one was he switched to that against Leverkusen at 1-1 around the 60th minute.

I have a tactic called Nagelsmann 3-2-4-1 in my folder which I made in March according to the file, so it was at the time where this was used by Bayern. I can't say the exact reasoning for the roles/instructions anymore but I think I looked into it at that time. From what I remember I think it did well on a test besides of course stuff like Dortmund away and CL away games, but that's not what it was made for anyway. Just to maybe give you some ideas. Roles are of course made for the players, CF is Lewandowski, SS Muller, Treq Sané in his half space role, VOL Goretzka and playmaker Kimmich.

nagi.JPG.48ac75eb82d17aa2e22598fea366dc60.JPG

Thanks for the heads up about the years. I didn't remember exactly.

Wingbacks are usually playing in the front 5. I though about using wingers in the CM strata but i needed this tactic in an online competition and wingbacks are easier in the game to make track down the pitch.

As i wrote into the post, I used the principles of Nagelsmann with the basics of positional play. It's not entirely based only on the real tactic