Board Wants Play Direct Football And I Did But They Didnt Satisfied

The board won't be looking at your Team Instruction, but rather if you're actually playing direct on the pitch. That requires a tactic that's set up to do so, which includes players being in position to receive direct passes.

11 hours ago, kentonizking said:

I wonder if 'work the ball into the box' and 'distribute to centre backs' have been your undoing.

Not sure, just hazarding a guess

Good point! They might affect.

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

The board won't be looking at your Team Instruction, but rather if you're actually playing direct on the pitch. That requires a tactic that's set up to do so, which includes players being in position to receive direct passes.

I shared the whole tactics with roles. So, can we say that main problem is Mezzala and no playmaker? If you see any other problems, it is welcome. 

Screenshot_1.png

• Administrators

May be worth sharing on the Tactics forum as well for a bit of feedback - https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/19-tactics-training-strategies-discussion/

Would definitely agree with the 'work ball into box'/distribute to CBs' being a potential downfall. Even the BPD's could be accused of not being direct (even if they can occasionally hit ambitious through-ball style passes). 

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

May be worth sharing on the Tactics forum as well for a bit of feedback - https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/19-tactics-training-strategies-discussion/

Would definitely agree with the 'work ball into box'/distribute to CBs' being a potential downfall. Even the BPD's could be accused of not being direct (even if they can occasionally hit ambitious through-ball style passes). 

Would you not agree Neil that this area is a little fussy? For a start I’m not sure the board really care about playing direct football - surely the emphasis is winning? Can see them possibly wanting ‘attractive’ football but not sure any/many boards explicitly say they want ‘direct football’. 

Secondly having to adjust these roles to perfectly fit the ‘vision’ just seems a bit off and unrealistic. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, DP said:

Would you not agree Neil that this area is a little fussy? For a start I’m not sure the board really care about playing direct football - surely the emphasis is winning? Can see them possibly wanting ‘attractive’ football but not sure any/many boards explicitly say they want ‘direct football’. 

Secondly having to adjust these roles to perfectly fit the ‘vision’ just seems a bit off and unrealistic. 

The way these types of demands work in game, it's not so much that you're not living up to them and that's meaning you're in a worse place, it's more if you achieve them it's like a bonus that gives you more credit with the board. 

And in fairness I definitely think there are chairpeople in the game who demand that style of high octane 'direct' football. The same sort of people you hear in crowds every week saying "just get it forward" etc. :D 

Maybe they're less common than they used to be (Barry Fry comes to mind) but I do think it happens in lower league football even today. 

Apart from what have been recommended, I'd suggest changing the duties of your wingers to Support, and changing the role of Mezzala (as you've mentioned). Hope these help you. :thup:

Edited by talhak

I have played FM for some time, but more on "what feels right" basis. I have read manuals only when nothing else helps... So, this is just a guess.

If your board wants 'direct' and 'attacking' playing style, could this 'direct' mean here that they want 'counter attack' kind of play? Sometimes a bit of running with ball, but mostly wise, skillful passes and crossings forward, and - shoot and score.

If this is the case, then it might be those 'Much higher defensive line' and 'Much higher line of Engagement', that make that impossible. You can't attack fast forward TO the goal, IF you ALREADY are there.

Adding a little bit:

You have also 'Prevent Short GK Distribution', so - at your best - you can force the other team to play 'Park the Bus'. That isn't the nicest type of game to watch... Maybe your board wants some fun.

Edited by rristola
adding some

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

The way these types of demands work in game, it's not so much that you're not living up to them and that's meaning you're in a worse place, it's more if you achieve them it's like a bonus that gives you more credit with the board. 

And in fairness I definitely think there are chairpeople in the game who demand that style of high octane 'direct' football. The same sort of people you hear in crowds every week saying "just get it forward" etc. :D 

Maybe they're less common than they used to be (Barry Fry comes to mind) but I do think it happens in lower league football even today. 

@Neil Brock

It can be frustrating as a player when the board requests such stuff as playing direct football. Especially when they initially tell you they are highly impressed with the gegenpressing style of play that has helped the club achieve promotion etc. 

And when it comes to trying to negotiate this with the board they simply refuse to back down. Would be nice if this could be dumbed down a little for FM23 in that they are more willing to listen to your suggestion of removing it from the club vision.

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

But to put things into perspective, the club in question is Real Madrid in the not too distant future.

Real Madrid have in recent years played a pretty direct style of football for an elite Spanish side

But the idea that they (or any other big club board) would mark a manager down because their inside forwards dribble a bit too much or their midfield puts passes together instead of banging it straight onto Haaland's head is laughable.

Like someone says, they don't look at your TI, more so your performance on the pitch.

That being said, I also played a short term save with R madrid a while back and had the exact same problem. Also using direct passing.

I have a feeling that direct passing in FM is a little bugged this edition. I tried to do a Burnely save after while using 'extremely direct passing + TM and P combo in a 442, and I found that my CBs were constantly passing sideways or only forward to my CM's, I'd rarely come across a long ball. I think it's something to do with how teams play out the back this edition.

I remember In FM22 there was loads of long balls. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edited by Jack722