Improving professionalism and workrate

I am finding it very easy to hit F levels of professionalism and workrate in my team, and it's hard to know what to do about it, especially the latter.

I can look for players with professional personalities, and avoid moody/casual/insecure, but there aren't many - the majority of players are 'normal'. I can't see any indication of workrate on a player's profile. I do prioritise Teamwork and to a lesser extent Leadership but it doesn't appear to make a difference.

Any tips?

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

I am finding it very easy to hit F levels of professionalism and workrate in my team, and it's hard to know what to do about it, especially the latter.

I can look for players with professional personalities, and avoid moody/casual/insecure, but there aren't many - the majority of players are 'normal'. I can't see any indication of workrate on a player's profile. I do prioritise Teamwork and to a lesser extent Leadership but it doesn't appear to make a difference.

Any tips?

Work rate is a component of 'team work' so if you have players with less than stellar teamwork then that helps.

Other factors do hurt work-rate, less professional players for instance will drop their work-rate when their morale is low etc.

PS - If you click on the grade description it'll bring up a dialog and show who is contributing positively and negatively towards each area.

• 1 month later...

One thing I find frustrating is that a lot of my signings end up having low work rates and I can't seem to filter that out through the scouting process. They might have a good teamwork stat and a determined personality, but when I bring them into the team it turns out their work rate is bad. This is particularly a problem with youngsters. I have tried to mentor it out of them and I discipline them if they slack off in training, but that often isn't enough. 

The only reliable solution is to take a player on loan first, see if their work rate is decent and then sign them. That is not always possible, particularly for some of the more in demand players.

It would be great if low/high work rate was something that scouts highlighted in their reports. In real life, this is surely something that is readily observable by scouts.

• SI Staff

Work rate is a component of teamwork so if someone has 20 in that its impossible their work-rate is 'bad' (it might not be 'high' but it won't be awful) - the other thing to consider is that players will develop based on the experienced players around them (especially their personal mentors if you set one) ... so if your team is hardworking and professional then that will rub off on them.

If someone is reacting badly to discipline and acting lazy in training then that is probably also a sign they're not greatly professional - either you can try and drum it out of them by mentoring, discipline etc. or you can simply cut them from the squad.

PS - One of the risks with youngsters is if you sign them with big contracts early on then it tends to make them lazier and unprofessional, so try not to pay them the big bucks from the get-go.