Finding the role for a talented yet perennially inconsistent player

I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct place to post this, I can change it if needed

This isn't so much needed help for a tactic, since the tactic itself works, but rather it's more of trying to find the perfect role for one of my best players who simply cannot perform to the level I know he can.

image.thumb.png.d0181defbe3bdff9c1bd86c999748ef7.png

This is Richard Ensrud. Arrived at just 18 after impressive performances in Norway, yet from the moment he got here he's been distinctly average. You just need to take a peek to see he's one of the best young players in the world, and could easily control any game against even the biggest opposition. And I know the 'Inconsistency' means he won't, well, consistently perform at the highest level. But I feel most of his games he's simply a passanger, not doing anything of note, and just occassionally having a good game. (As a reference, in the 17/20 games he's started his average rating is 7.02)

image.thumb.png.1369db94b7aecde08f8b196c4ea8a4c7.png

This is the tactic I employ. Not so much about possession, since for the past 4 seasons I've been using this tactic we only keep around 50%, but rather fast, quick transitions to exploit the two monsters we have uptop. Like the image shows, he plays in the B2B role on the left hand side. And just for some extra context, I tried to also limit the amount of PI as well

Both fullbacks have Get further forward, the DM has Shoot Less Often, both B2B's have Move into channels and Shoot Less Often, and the CM has Dribble More

I've considered moving Johannesson to the B2B role and Esrund moving to be the CM, maybe changing it to a AP-A to use his passing and traits (Although my first thought is that a ball magnet playmaker could go against the idea of fast transitions). I've considered ideas more out of left field like dropping him to be a DML and be a Regista/Segundo Volante (I like assym tactics), but for now I'm sticking to how my tactic is shaped now.

So, I'd like some advice on how I could get the best out of him in my system, or how to change my system to get the best out of him.

15 minutes ago, VoidVector said:

I'm not 100% sure if this is the correct place to post this, I can change it if needed

It's fine mate :thup:

Looking at him, he looks a great Mezzela, so the BBM is a good fit for him, then I noticed his Flair. 8. That's pretty low for a dynamic role

Combining his Traits he looks like he'd suit the DLP role, he'll just lack a bit of panache in any role

hace 14 horas, Johnny Ace dijo:

Looking at him, he looks a great Mezzela, so the BBM is a good fit for him, then I noticed his Flair. 8. That's pretty low for a dynamic role

This is interesting. I never really associated Flair with something like the BBM. How does the 8 Flair affect a role like that? In all honestly, Flair is the attribute I probably pay the least attention to since (probably thanks to not knowing how it functions in-game) I never really seem to tell if it has any impact on performance or not, regardless of the system I'm using.

I'll give him a run with the DLP role and see how it goes.

On 10/09/2022 at 01:56, VoidVector said:

This is interesting. I never really associated Flair with something like the BBM. How does the 8 Flair affect a role like that? In all honestly, Flair is the attribute I probably pay the least attention to since (probably thanks to not knowing how it functions in-game) I never really seem to tell if it has any impact on performance or not, regardless of the system I'm using.

I'll give him a run with the DLP role and see how it goes.

I was the same too, never really paid much attention to it but if you keep your eye on a high Flair player vs a low Flair player, you'll see the differences. I find low Flair players a bit boring, which is absolutely fine for some roles. Off the top of my head, I bet in general most central defenders in the game will have low Flair. Whereas roles further up the pitch will have higher Flair 

A DM DLP is probably fine with lower Flair because you'll want him to play safe in deeper areas, where an Advanced Playmaker, a bit of Flair wouldn't hurt because he's operating further up the pitch and defences won't anticipate his actions so easily  

Have a quick look here where I had a light-bulb moment when playing two CM's on Support 

I've encountered the problem that some of the players "disappear" in the games and it has come down to tactics - their role (or combination of roles and partnerships on the pitch) haven't let them shine and has affected their ratings, somewhat unfairly.

In your case your tactics is very symmetric, so it isn't likely the case and the fact that your right BBMs is doing fine, indicates that perhaps it's the question of preferred foot of the players - perhaps he isn't found with passes or he isn't finding forward players with (key) passes and that's why he disappears? His work rate, movement, decisions and vision is great. I would use him in the same role (BBMs), but add 'more risky passes' for a change.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think if I was his manager I'd be very concerned about his personaility.

"Fairly Determined" means yes he has high determination, and nothing else. Everything else is bang in the middle (not good enough for elite football) or lower. Its almost as toxic as "balanced" which is a not good personality type.

My priority for him would be mentoring groups above all else. If you can find in your team a good mentor for him that's great.

Re. everything else about him, he's so so good - if necessary I'd consider signing a senior player / veteran on high wages just to mentor him to try and help him be the best he can be.