xG stat for analyzing players clarification

I wanted to clarify how to  make use of the xG when looking at players. I'm assuming the higher the xG the better. In that it means the player is getting/creating more chances to score. If I compare his xG this to his actual goal total and the amount of goals scored is higher than his xG that is an indication of a good finisher. Conversely if his goals amount is less than his xG that would indicate that he's wasteful. I realize this is simplified and there are other factors involved but would these be a fair assumptions?

Yes this is correct. The only other significant variable for xG would be the goalkeeper.  This is a really useful metric to see how good a player is at finishing, but it worth remembering that a poorer finisher might get more goals and be a better option if they are able to position themselves better, are quicker, stronger etc so simply have more chances to score, which would result in a higher xG.

Irl players like Vardy and Son are sometimes mentioned as players who have tended to over perform on their xG.