Here's how to reshape working with Technical Director

Gamblingblues

We need to add an "expert advice" mode that allows your Tech Director (and other staff) to make clear what your tradeoffs are and guide you to decisions.

For example, at the end of each year the TD could say "your staff is good at technical attack and defense, not great at player dev. you can choose plan A, where I will provide candidates to improve young player development, or plan B, where my candidates will be more tactical coaches."

Tradeoffs. I can hire people to help X, or hire people to help Y. You choose.

This would be GREAT when asking the TD to hire scouts too. Asking you whether we want to focus on improving our knowledge here or start growing our knowledge there. Left to their own devices they aren't following anyone's plan.

Or your owners telling you that Popular Player you're trying to phase out earns the team money in advertising opportunities, and by continuing to play the kid in front of him you're going to lose $250k in potential revenue. 

You are presented a choice, the tradeoffs are clearly stated, you are able to guide the outcome.

Not every choice should be framed like this - it's open world, after all - but especially when your staff is tasked with carrying out duties, they should be asking you for your direction. "Hire a set piece coach and maybe our xg/g goes up .5" would be GREAT advice. It goes beyond just saying "we don't have a set piece coach, we should consider hiring one."