How many games to decide if player is useful?

At least 5 games.

Aside attributes, I think training performance is also very important. Training performance rating over 8 it means they player will improve, under 8 the player evolution might stall or decline. When I have youth player classified with low potential or low number of stars, if he's training well and showing some progress, I will offer him a professional contract to see how far he goes. Sometimes they turn into very decent players allowing you to get a decent transfer fee

After 5 games you are able to analyse the player's stats. But it depends on different situations. Having a good replacement, expected playing time, age, etc.
Loans is usually for 18 year olds that don't have a chance of first team football or to save on wages.

12 hours ago, FrazT said:

A new signing will often not provide regular good performances until he has settled into the team and tactics, so I will give them at least half a season to show their worth.  Many times these players will shine in season 2.

That scenario it happens frequently on my country, Portugal, because Primeira Liga teams hire lots of players from South America. European football is different from South American football, some players only shine on 2nd season and others like Gabriel Barbosa  and Everton "Cebolinha", despite being very good Brazilian Serie A players, they had failed to succeed on European football so far

Check your staff reports about the player's adaptability to have a broad idea if a player might take "more than usual"  to perform at his max. level. Anyway, at least half a season, at most 2 seasons IMO. Some players perform good immediately though, but it is not what you should expect unless the player has already been playing in your division for a few seasons with good performances and similar role.