Tips to improve a bog standard 4231 / 4-2-3-1

With winger and a wingback, I'd probably take off work ball into box and let those guys cross a little more. On balanced mentality I think you don't need the extra caution in the final third. 

Id maybe switch the BBM to the right, he will have more space to move into and may offer a later target for the WB. This will also give more space for the IF. 

I find the ordinary 4-2-3-1 formation to be suboptimal in FM22. Using a 4-2DM-3-1 seems to be much more defensively sound for me. The lack of DM is going to hurt you in front of your defensive line, which might be why teams can take long shots against you. Also, the lack of DMs combined with a higher than normal defensive line and attacking fullbacks could lead to plenty of balls over top -- a real issue with defending in FM22.

I believe you're going to be very exposed on your left. The WB(S) and IF(A) are both rather aggressive roles and the BBM will also try to get forward often. I usually set up with either two DM's, (who can have support/attack roles), or two CM(s) with more of a holding profile. This setup for example has me sitting in sixth place with Almeria in my first season after promotion.

20220926170902_1.thumb.jpg.573106916c1a795b8d7a01927a2bb3e7.jpg