Does letting the AI manage the U18 and U23 teams work over a long save?

My usual tactic is to not sign players for the U18s and remove the U23s from their respective league. This means that both teams end up filled with fake players. I ignore the U18s and arrange friendlies for the U23s to keep first team players fit

The obvious problem this causes is the development of club grown players. I usually avoid this by signing 18 year olds and putting them straight into my 1st team but they never reach their potential because they dont play enough

I've never let the AI control the U18 and U23 teams because I dont trust them and think it will end up chaotic. What are peoples experience with this? Does it work?

I've never NOT left the AI to look after reserve and U18 squads to be honest. Im struggling to see what the main disadvantages would be of letting the Ai control the teams as opposed to not having them do anything. IMO having the reserves just playing friendlies to keep first team fit and the U18s being non-existent would have a much more detrimental effect on a long term save than if you just left them to the AI.

Even if the Ai do a "bad job", its better than nothing at all surely.

I hire good coaches for the reserve and U18 sides and then let the managers run the teams. Having good youth coaches and training facilities is the most important factor in this. Between 16-18 the only thing I may do is assign a specific individual focus, and praise/criticise their development. They really don't need any more attention than that.

After 18, i'll usually loan them out at a level I think is suitable for them and playing first team football, unless they happen to be improving in the reserves or I can find some football in the first team.

I let my B and under 18s managers run almost all their own games, but I will preselect the team for important matches as they can sometimes be completely illogical about selection.  Example:  My under 18s got to the CL under 19s semi finals last year and despite having 3 good GKs already in the squad, the manager chose a really average15 year old from the youth input to start against Barcelona in Spain for his first game