Managing Cardiff Met University

Cardiff Metropolitan University are an amateur team in the JD Cymru Premier League. All players on amateur contracts but with access to a good training & youth facilities and an OK academy set-up. Anyone managed them and had success? Can you sell amateur players for a fee, can you even become a semi or professional club? Looks a great set up for developing talent but not if you can't sell them for £££'s.

I tried it, got about a dozen seasons in before i gave up. It's damn near impossible.

Being the only amateur team in the league you have no hope of signing anything but the worst players in the league.

If you do by some miracle manage to find a good player then you'll lose him stupidly quickly, often within a few months.

If you get a good youth player come through your academy then you can already wave them goodbye. If they have any kind of ability or potential then they'll be gone within a couple of years.

So essentially you have to build a squad of players who are too bad for any other team in the league to be interested in them and the bad players from your youth intakes.

Good luck!

On 29/09/2022 at 14:04, bruntonpasty said:

Cardiff Metropolitan University are an amateur team in the JD Cymru Premier League. All players on amateur contracts but with access to a good training & youth facilities and an OK academy set-up. Anyone managed them and had success? Can you sell amateur players for a fee, can you even become a semi or professional club? Looks a great set up for developing talent but not if you can't sell them for £££'s.

Right, 10+ seasons with them...i've gotten to the europa league group stages twice ( 1st time i finished 3rd in group n lost to villareal in the ECL 2ko round), dragged them up to 2* rep but not being able to upgrade youth facilities kinda sucked...

@MackBristol i've signed cesc fabregas 2nd season ( he retired), had zach awe, Diamond Edwards has been with me god knows how long, its hard to keep the quality you bring in but its sooo worth it!

@Colorado theres also HKFC in Hong Kong that are always Amateur

Edited by dashi112
spelling

21 minutes ago, dashi112 said:

Right, 10+ seasons with them...i've gotten to the europa league group stages twice ( 1st time i finished 3rd in group n lost to villareal in the ECL 2ko round), dragged them up to 2* rep but not being able to upgrade youth facilities kinda sucked...

@MackBristol i've signed cesc fabregas 2nd season ( he retured), had zach awe, Diamond Edwards has been with me god knows how long, its hard to keep the quality you bring in but its sooo worth it!

@Colorado 

Are they still amateur?

54 minutes ago, kentonizking said:

That's impressive! To get to Europe as an amateur.

They must be hard coded because they are a Uni team maybe 

They are coded to be Always Amateur, as are Swansea Uni and HKFC.

most hated club in my run with them: Ferencvárosi TC ( 4 times in 11 years i drew them)

Surprise win: Beating Lausanne-Sport 8-1 on aggregate in the ECL 1KO Round

Surprise loss: 23/24 season CL 2QR, 1st leg beat Qarabag 5-2 at home...lost 11-2 away