Rebuild Man United in FM23

Stevmon

Would be nice to get a good thread going regarding managing Man United in FM23. Looking forward to this game as much as ever and the first steps for me will probably be the following:

(I always aim for as much realism as possible, so among other things always have transfer window disabled when starting a new save)

New staff

- van der Gaag and Mclaren most likely let go. Want my own assistant and thinking about Nicky Butt. His FM22 attributes makes him a great assistant IMO

- Want to try at let the sporting director handle more of my transfer business for realism (never seem to get this to work as I like…) and probably need someone with better negotiating skills than Murtough. Any suggestions?

Create good tactics

What do people have in mind here?

Squad configuration 

GK: Planning on releasing DDG summer of 23 and give Henderson 1-2 years to prove himself as No 1. Academy product, younger + 1/3 of the wages. IMO roughly as good as DDG, but more suitable to sweeper keeper.

Defense: Try and sell AWB and Jones in January. Try and sell Maguire, Bailly, Telles, Lindelof summer of 2023. Use Williams and Tuanzebe as squad players. Find a good right back to compete with Dalot (Pavard?) and a young CB to push Varane/Martinez

Midfield: Try and sell VDB and promote Hannibal to backup Bruno. Get rid of Fred and try and get Bellingham or De Jong. Buy a different winger (ideally a Ji-Sung Park)

Attack: Let CR7 go. Maybe Martial as well. No idea who to realistically get as the No 9… Kane would be great IMO, but probably impossible to buy.

The game should hardwire certain realities into the game. Man Utd would not be able to sign FDJ or Bellingham in real life. Or Kane for that matter. It just can't happen. The competition would be more appealing or the players just don't want to leave their current clubs. 

Managing Man Utd with ETH's philosophy in mind is more realistic. Signings from the Eredivisie or former Ajax players who fit into his way of playing. 

Gakpo, Teze or Sangare at PSV. Kokcu at Feyenoord. Timber or Rensch at Ajax, some of their other youngsters too.

If Gravenberch doesn't get games at Bayern, he could be an option. Noa Lang at Brugge. Dest at Barcelona. Maybe Dolberg at Nice.

Plus the usual signing of an injury prone thirtysomething for silly money that a rival are desperate to sell. 

Edited by dothestrand

2 hours ago, dothestrand said:

The game should hardwire certain realities into the game. Man Utd would not be able to sign FDJ or Bellingham in real life. Or Kane for that matter. It just can't happen. The competition would be more appealing or the players just don't want to leave their current clubs. 

Man UTD has crazy reputation and can give good contracts, I don't see why a player wouldn't want to go there ( ok, maybe the club's league position or no CL). @OP I would shop some Portuguese bred striker like LFC, Nunez might become a flop (hopefully not) but it doesn't always have to be this way.

8 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Managing Man Utd with ETH's philosophy in mind is more realistic. Signings from the Eredivisie or former Ajax players who fit into his way of playing. 

Gakpo, Teze or Sangare at PSV. Kokcu at Feyenoord. Timber or Rensch at Ajax, some of their other youngsters too.

If Gravenberch doesn't get games at Bayern, he could be an option. Noa Lang at Brugge. Dest at Barcelona. Maybe Dolberg at Nice.

Plus the usual signing of an injury prone thirtysomething for silly money that a rival are desperate to sell. 

Everything is posible with enough money.

1 hour ago, SergeiG said:

Everything is posible with enough money.

Maybe but if Utd go for Bellingham IRL then City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real and possibly Bayern would all be in for him. I'm not aware of him being a Utd fan but they'd have to be last of those sides realistically. 

5 hours ago, dothestrand said:

Maybe but if Utd go for Bellingham IRL then City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real and possibly Bayern would all be in for him. I'm not aware of him being a Utd fan but they'd have to be last of those sides realistically. 

Bayern, Liverpool and Chelsea cant offer the amount of money United will and as far as I know Real Madrid is stocked in the midfield. I guess City might take a swing at him and may offer the same amount of money for him.

3 hours ago, SergeiG said:

Bayern, Liverpool and Chelsea cant offer the amount of money United will and as far as I know Real Madrid is stocked in the midfield. I guess City might take a swing at him and may offer the same amount of money for him.

Bayern is one of the most healthy clubs around the world, if they really want they pay 100 million with ease. Chelsea with Todd Boelhy are crazy spenders and Liverpool splash with cash too but only for the right players. United has no chance to get Bellingham imo.

21 hours ago, krisdonna said:

Bayern is one of the most healthy clubs around the world, if they really want they pay 100 million with ease. Chelsea with Todd Boelhy are crazy spenders and Liverpool splash with cash too but only for the right players. United has no chance to get Bellingham imo.

I was talking about wages. No way Bayern, Liverpool or Chelsea will offer higher contract than United. If Bellingham is a gready bastard United might offer him 300K a week and lure him that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to disable the 1st transfer window. Only had £20.6m to spend which is pathetic. I did manage to sell Fred and AWB for a combined £40m so getting rid of players you don't want seems a bit easier in this version of the game.

37 minutes ago, trekman said:

Forgot to disable the 1st transfer window. Only had £20.6m to spend which is pathetic. I did manage to sell Fred and AWB for a combined £40m so getting rid of players you don't want seems a bit easier in this version of the game.

You can't really expect to be given more after the spending in the summer:lol:

14 hours ago, trekman said:

True but I was hoping for a bit more.

So after spending £60+ million on Casemiro

£80+ on Antony 

£40 odd on Martinez 

£20 million isn't enough? Like someone said it probably is too much as it is 

How is everyone finding Casemiro? I think he is a bit reckless and a thug. Only 18 games in and he's already been suspended three times. Twice for collecting 10 yellow cards and once for a straight red. I'm playing him as a BWM. Is that the problem?

33 minutes ago, trekman said:

How is everyone finding Casemiro? I think he is a bit reckless and a thug. Only 18 games in and he's already been suspended three times. Twice for collecting 10 yellow cards and once for a straight red. I'm playing him as a BWM. Is that the problem?

Doesn't he have a PPM of dives into tackles?

A BWM who dives into tackles will a accumulate a shedload of cards.

1 hour ago, axehan1 said:

Doesn't he have a PPM of dives into tackles?

A BWM who dives into tackles will a accumulate a shedload of cards.

I'll have to look into this further and see if I can get him to calm down a bit

Thinking about selling Lindelof or Maguire, but Lisandro Martinez was poor in pre season.

To many players injured already so you can't even sell them Jones 4months, Tuanzebe 3months, Williams 4months,.. and on top of thah Eriksen got injured 2-3 months at the end of july. Ronaldo out 4 weeks also.

Will do the research and maybe just one season with UTD before full version is out 8.11.

Think the problem is that the stats are based off last season or very early this season so Dalot is unfortunately going to be underrated, he should also be either footed imo.

If things keep going well for him this season though he should be a beast by the next data update, same with a lot of United's new signings.

Edited by bluehefner

9 hours ago, bluehefner said:

Think the problem is that the stats are based off last season or very early this season so Dalot is unfortunately going to be underrated, he should also be either footed imo.

If things keep going well for him this season though he should be a beast by the next data update, same with a lot of United's new signings.

Think will be winter update at best for any changes to attributes

• 1 month later...

Just about to start season 4…

First season I finished 3rd, massively over-performed considering my only signing was Diogo Costa for £30m. 

Won the league in season 2 and 3, I only have two players from the original starting 11 in the squad, that being Varane and Bruno. The rest have been sold. Massively cut down the wage bill in the process.

Signed Lautaro Martinez who has been a goal machine and my best buy. Other notable signings include Milinkovic-Savic from Lazio, Ansu Fati from Barca (only £40m!), Olise from Palace who has been outstanding, and Declan Rice. Udogie from Spurs worth a mention too.

I’m now in the process of signing some younger players to bring through and to bolster the quality of the squad. Endrick, Livramento, Wanner and Scholl (both from Bayern) join in the summer. Kobbie Mainoo is now in the first team squad and now a wonder kid with 5 star potential! I’ve also had a couple of other 5 star prospects in the youth intake.

Last season I bought Timber from Ajax, circa £70m and he was awful. Had an average rating of 6.6. Never performed no matter what. I’m sure I’ve heard someone else mention that on these forums, but anyway, great stats but terrible performer! Big mistake.