How would you handle these contract negotiations - Advise please

I am managing BOca Juniors. We have just reached the Copa Argentina beating River Plate 2 - 1 in the semi-final.

One of my star players is defender Avila who has scored more then 10 goals from free kicks. He feels he deserves an improved contract.

I don't really want to give one as his contract only runs out at the end of 2024. That is still 3 years away. But I promised we'd discuss it later.

The only demand I have a problem with is his release clause for foreign clubs. He wants it set at 3.7 million pounds. He is too valuable to me and I'd like to set it much higher. Unfortunately I can't as the option is not there.

So do I not give him a new contract and he walks away in anger at the end of 2024 or give the player what he demands and he can walk away for 3.7 million pounds in 2 months time?

You can offer him a new contract, make it bad enough that he rejects it and then say "Look, I said I'd offer you a contract; it's your fault you turned it down."

That satisfies the Promise side of things and, as other people have pointed out, even if he gets upset he'll probably calm down in a few months if everything else is going well.

On 09/10/2022 at 10:03, SergeiG said:

Usually if you got more than 3 years on the contract you can upset a player a bit and he will come around after 3-18 months.

Exactly this. If a player is pushing a new contract, and I really don't want to offer him one, and he has over 2 years left on the contract I will just point blank refuse. Don't like going down the promise route with these things. They will have a paddy and probably be upset for a few months but then they will come round and be happy again in time for you to actually want to give him a new contract in a year or so's time. 2 years left on contract is normally the absolute minimum id do this though. 3 years plus left then you have no problems just refusing them