How come we can't remain on good terms with a club when leaving?

Bad Wolf

Something that's always bothered me - Why can't you leave a club at the end of your contract? You're put on this month by month rolling contract thing. And also, why can't we leave a club on good terms? Why is it that in later season the interviews are always "There's history of bad feeling between you and this club" and all four interview answers are in the negative apart from one which is like "I guess my feelings have mellowed"

Even if you praise the club in your press exit interview, there doesn't seem to be any way of remaining on good terms with the club.

There's history of bad feeling between you and this club

I don't think this part is always true since I have never seen it. But the rolling contract thing bothers me. I once decided to run down the contract at a club because afaik I wasn't really performing well enough for bigger clubs to pay a compensation and hire me. I didn't resign and refused the contract offers. So June 1st comes and I'm still at the club. There's always some weirdo at media asking if I'm happy that a kid scored on international duty, but nobody on the media or the board cares about me running down the contract. I reckon this is due to the developers believing that nobody will ever run down a contract, so they probably didn't even bother about it. But they definitely should

1 hour ago, Shrabon said:

I don't think this part is always true since I have never seen it. But the rolling contract thing bothers me. I once decided to run down the contract at a club because afaik I wasn't really performing well enough for bigger clubs to pay a compensation and hire me. I didn't resign and refused the contract offers. So June 1st comes and I'm still at the club. There's always some weirdo at media asking if I'm happy that a kid scored on international duty, but nobody on the media or the board cares about me running down the contract. I reckon this is due to the developers believing that nobody will ever run down a contract, so they probably didn't even bother about it. But they definitely should

The reasoning SI gave for not being able to let your contract expire is for "continuity". I don't really understand it either - if your manager can get sacked because the team you're managing got relegated to an unplayable division, why is running down the contract not allowed? All SI need to do would be to add a popup dialogue box that says "Are you sure you wish to let your contract expire and leave [Club]?".

18 hours ago, autohoratio said:

The reasoning SI gave for not being able to let your contract expire is for "continuity". I don't really understand it either - if your manager can get sacked because the team you're managing got relegated to an unplayable division, why is running down the contract not allowed? All SI need to do would be to add a popup dialogue box that says "Are you sure you wish to let your contract expire and leave [Club]?".

Continuity? Of what? That doesn't really make much sense

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2022 at 17:48, Bad Wolf said:

Something that's always bothered me - Why can't you leave a club at the end of your contract? You're put on this month by month rolling contract thing. And also, why can't we leave a club on good terms? Why is it that in later season the interviews are always "There's history of bad feeling between you and this club" and all four interview answers are in the negative apart from one which is like "I guess my feelings have mellowed"

Even if you praise the club in your press exit interview, there doesn't seem to be any way of remaining on good terms with the club.

Totally agree about the interviews. I resigned from a club after a lot of success because I wanted to try a new challenge in a new league, but the only responses in the interviews implied there'd been a massive falling out or something. Perhaps being able to state why you resigned (in an interview) could lead to more context-based questions/answers in follow up interviews.

I resigned during pre-season as I thought this is what I'd do IRL (rather than leaving the club in the lurch halfway through a season).

On 02/11/2022 at 09:51, youngs15 said:

Totally agree about the interviews. I resigned from a club after a lot of success because I wanted to try a new challenge in a new league, but the only responses in the interviews implied there'd been a massive falling out or something. Perhaps being able to state why you resigned (in an interview) could lead to more context-based questions/answers in follow up interviews.

I resigned during pre-season as I thought this is what I'd do IRL (rather than leaving the club in the lurch halfway through a season).

Pretty sure there IS that option, after you resign there's usually a press conference and even if you say good things about the club etc, in seasons to come when you play them, it's like you hate them.