*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

40 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

FM 23 has problems that boring me. But as someone who moved from FM 21 to FM 23, I can say with certainty that there has been a significant advance. My friend who also didn't play FM 22 share the same opinion. 

I'm in the same boat. I skipped FM22 (and FM20). I can see that if I'd been playing FM22 for a year this would seem virtually an update, but by skipping a year, the ME looks and feels satisfactorily advanced. The new 'features' do feel underwhelming or plain irrelevant, but the ME is enough for me to feel excited about FM23.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jethers said:

I just can't play this game right now. The ME is killing me with players not even remotely doing what is asked of them and the constant long balls over the top of my defense whilst CB's stand and watch is so annoying. Defense line on standard and have CD's with 16 pace and accel......

I don't seem to be able to replicate anything the AI does and my players often completely ignore instructions. 

I know it's a game and I know it shouldn't be robotic however just some degree of control over the team would be nice.

Too late for a Steam refund so SI can spend my money on a hot tub in the office but I'm uninstalling until this ME is radically changed.

As it's not officially out yet, steam usually always refunds it as long as it's before the official release date.

2 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

That isn't was the person you quoted was saying.

They want to edit it as the person playing the game, who currently has the ability to use the pre-game and in-game editor, not have influence on the board as the in-game Manager. There's a significant difference between those two concepts.

It would be enough for me if the game equated maximum attendance with the look of the "stadium". When your maximum attendance is 2000, you really don't want stands around 4 sides of the pitch.

If they fixed the defending of space, long balls and long shots for FM23, then I would never go back to FM 22. This game's chaotic nature of the deflections, the finishing improvements (types of finishing , not rate) the fact that players actually cross the ball now instead of cutting it back to the supporting midfielder, there's so many good things.

I really hope it is fixed on release, there's so much to like but it is let down by this perpetual issue (has happened at launch with other versions) where the AI has a get out jail card when it doesn't know what to do, namely shooting aimlessly and booting the ball up field.

Here's to a positive release day patch, otherwise I will wait for March.

2 hours ago, Harrymcintyre said:

It’s not a building simulation game? 

What? Managers don’t handle the incremental details of transfer fees or wages either, let’s remove them from the game? Managers also do not handle the appointments of many staff job roles like they do in this game, let’s remove that too? 

Your point is ridiculous. A pre game stadium editor would improve this game substantially.

4 hours ago, Troels Jensen said:

I'm managing Real Madrid and have just won the UCL as well as the league. I tried reloading several times upping the salary and bonuses each time - still he decided to go back to Newcastle to renegotiate a deal - in the news item he even "admitted" that there were better offers on the table but decided to go with Newcastle anyway.

I know people have different tastes and all but choosing, well, Newcastle over Madrid AND getting a much worse deal on top of that is something I don't really get ..

you're not showing the first contract screen, with playing time and promises. Contracts are a package deal, have to look at everything combined, not just weekly wage.

3 hours ago, Troels Jensen said:

So, about defensive positioning ..

I know, they're doing a really great jo of keeping a straight line in the back but .. Maybe at least one of the world class defenders could've put a bit of pressure on the forward before the ball was crossed?

image.png.03182811c66b242b53c47ab6de33b481.png

image.png.9e418215d2c9267aaadde2cc317e9924.png

Have you tried man marking him? Seems like the obvious solution. I'm really happy to see this, seems like the players just do exactly what you ask of them which could make the game harder. The game has been way too forgiving in the past, players doing things I havent asked them to because its smart, I dont want smart players I want puppets, that's how I win! :D 

14 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

Have you tried man marking him? Seems like the obvious solution. I'm really happy to see this, seems like the players just do exactly what you ask of them which could make the game harder. The game has been way too forgiving in the past, players doing things I havent asked them to because its smart, I dont want smart players I want puppets, that's how I win! :D 

The defensive positioning in this example is pure stupidity. Four defenders keeping a straight back line leaving a lone forward to himself because what? Rules? A certain amount of AI has to be involved for the human player as well.

Edit: I always choose tight marking, trigger press and weaker foot instructions for the opposing forwards.

Edited by Troels Jensen

Just now, anagain said:

I've just had my first look at the new way draws are done in FM23 and I am rather underwhelmed.

EDIT: Went on a bit there, I know. Just really shocked at how poor this new 'feature' is. I hate to be so harsh on the game but I dunno what they were thinking with this.

I love the idea of the new draws but the way its been done isnt good. As you say, It takes far too long to do a draw and you shouldnt have to click the button of press space to advance through it.

Posted earlier, I timed the draw for the last 16 of the Champions League and it took over 5 minutes to complete the draw, sorry there wont be many willing to sit through that. 

15 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

you're not showing the first contract screen, with playing time and promises. Contracts are a package deal, have to look at everything combined, not just weekly wage.

True. I couldn't change the original offer in that regard because I had my sporting director initialise the bidding. So you are correct - I don't actually know what he was offered regarding playing time and promises. I suspect he would have been offered first team regular considering the lack of defensive depth in my squad but no - I can't say for sure.

42 minutes ago, anagain said:

I've just had my first look at the new way draws are done in FM23 and I am rather underwhelmed.

It takes ages to run through automatically. Longer than a draw on TV

We have a timer that seems to be 10 seconds and it's not always when a team is drawn out.

image.png.3883dd4ba56cdd546c95532b70af69c7.png

The draw I am watching is the 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup and features over 150 teams. It's been 5 minutes and there are 110 teams left to draw.

Why is the timer 10 seconds? I timed the drawing of one fixture in the 2nd Qualifying Round and it was 40 seconds. It's not just 2 lots of 10 seconds to draw teams. There is preamble between the drawings that each take 10 seconds.

The result is a draw for 150 teams takes absolutely bloody ages and way longer than it did in FM22.

It is also bugged beyond belief.

I can stop the timer and advance the draw to the next team but I have to go via the menu below to do so.

image.png.339a79b5f1e9494fe9b53728125301cd.png

Firstly, that menu disappears when you click an option. To advance again you have to click to open the menu again and then click the option.

Secondly, because the timer is stopped the screen is showing the wrong information. The draw is showing St. Ives vs Chorley whilst the live reaction is showing that Hayes & Yeading are playing KIngs Langley. The screens don't seem to keep up.

image.thumb.png.e9277020c8ba56c3ac2a2b490db1bf9d.png

I love this game, and have done so for 20+ years, but I am sorry to say that this draw is one of the most poorly added mechanics I have seen in all my years watching FM.

1) It is slow beyond belief. Reduce the time between advances. In no way does it need to be 10 seconds. Rosie has it right with the most apt reaction I've seen.image.png.85050d93a15023761cefb9af1b0f79f0.png

2) The screen is poorly set up with massive amounts of empty space and a hidden away advance button that has to be clicked too many times to advance the ties. See that bloody great space on the screen in the screenshot above that showd St Ives and Chorley? Fill it with the advance button. Open up the different advance options so they don't disappear with each press (can be done nicer than I have done with paint, of course).

image.thumb.png.64ee45185a942d1a3770f228ca894820.png

3) The twitter style reactions can be fun sometimes, but isn't the below a bit much at these stages of the FA Cup.

image.thumb.png.20a7e626810c2ae0fe924bd9fab102c8.png

It might be fun for the FA Cup 3rd Round, a European draw or the World Cup but it is way too drawn out to be something all but the most time free players of this game are ever going to want to use.

I did eventually find out that spacebar advanced through the teams and I don't have to use that poorly implemented advance button but it still felt poorly implemented as a whole.

In past FMs I liked just clicking the button to have the draw take place automatically. I could see teams drawn and had some tension regarding who played who that I was happy with. It didn't take 40 seconds to draw a tie and I didn't have to press buttons to advance. I could lean back and just watch the teams drawn. When my team came out the hat I'd normally then auto complete the draw. In this 40 seconds per tie format I got so bored I just quit to the end.

I mean, who decided it need to be drawn out to 40 seconds a tie? We're not watching on TV here. I don't know that I want it to take that long if I was watching a draw for one of the events I listed that might be fun, above.

I am someone who takes 30 minutes plus to get through matches in FM and I thought this draw format was way too drawn out. It takes me a month to do a season. If I am not the audience for this new format then who on earth is?

I like the idea to flash up draws but it is very poorly implemented. The timer only needs to be a couple of seconds.

EDIT: Went on a bit there, I know. Just really shocked at how poor this new 'feature' is. I hate to be so harsh on the game but I dunno what they were thinking with this.

Its a beta version . Calm the farm.  Wait till release then see how it goes

3 minutes ago, jimbo22 said:

I love the idea of the new draws but the way its been done isnt good. As you say, It takes far too long to do a draw and you shouldnt have to click the button of press space to advance through it.

Posted earlier, I timed the draw for the last 16 of the Champions League and it took over 5 minutes to complete the draw, sorry there wont be many willing to sit through that. 

This is just it. The CL draw should be something that people want to watch but implementing it poorly ruins the whole idea of making draws look better.

Just sad that it comes across as a missed opportunity.

36 minutes ago, anagain said:

It takes ages to run through automatically. Longer than a draw on TV

We have a timer that seems to be 10 seconds and it's not always when a team is drawn out.

image.png.3883dd4ba56cdd546c95532b70af69c7.png

The draw I am watching is the 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup and features over 150 teams. It's been 5 minutes and there are 110 teams left to draw.

Why is the timer 10 seconds? I timed the drawing of one fixture in the 2nd Qualifying Round and it was 40 seconds. It's not just 2 lots of 10 seconds to draw teams. There is preamble between the drawings that each take 10 seconds.

The result is a draw for 150 teams takes absolutely bloody ages and way longer than it did in FM22.

It is also bugged beyond belief.

I can stop the timer and advance the draw to the next team but I have to go via the menu below to do so.

image.png.339a79b5f1e9494fe9b53728125301cd.png

Firstly, that menu disappears when you click an option. To advance again you have to click to open the menu again and then click the option.

Secondly, because the timer is stopped the screen is showing the wrong information. The draw is showing St. Ives vs Chorley whilst the live reaction is showing that Hayes & Yeading are playing KIngs Langley. The screens don't seem to keep up.

image.thumb.png.e9277020c8ba56c3ac2a2b490db1bf9d.png

I love this game, and have done so for 20+ years, but I am sorry to say that this draw is one of the most poorly added mechanics I have seen in all my years watching FM.

1) It is slow beyond belief. Reduce the time between advances. In no way does it need to be 10 seconds. Rosie has it right with the most apt reaction I've seen.image.png.85050d93a15023761cefb9af1b0f79f0.png

2) The screen is poorly set up with massive amounts of empty space and a hidden away advance button that has to be clicked too many times to advance the ties. See that bloody great space on the screen in the screenshot above that showd St Ives and Chorley? Fill it with the advance button. Open up the different advance options so they don't disappear with each press (can be done nicer than I have done with paint, of course).

image.thumb.png.64ee45185a942d1a3770f228ca894820.png

3) The twitter style reactions can be fun sometimes, but isn't the below a bit much at these stages of the FA Cup.

image.thumb.png.20a7e626810c2ae0fe924bd9fab102c8.png

It might be fun for the FA Cup 3rd Round, a European draw or the World Cup but it is way too drawn out to be something all but the most time free players of this game are ever going to want to use.

I did eventually find out that spacebar advanced through the teams and I don't have to use that poorly implemented advance button but it still felt poorly implemented as a whole.

In past FMs I liked just clicking the button to have the draw take place automatically. I could see teams drawn and had some tension regarding who played who that I was happy with. It didn't take 40 seconds to draw a tie and I didn't have to press buttons to advance. I could lean back and just watch the teams drawn. When my team came out the hat I'd normally then auto complete the draw. In this 40 seconds per tie format I got so bored I just quit to the end.

I mean, who decided it need to be drawn out to 40 seconds a tie? We're not watching on TV here. I don't know that I want it to take that long if I was watching a draw for one of the events I listed that might be fun, above.

I am someone who takes 30 minutes plus to get through matches in FM and I thought this draw format was way too drawn out. It takes me a month to do a season. If I am not the audience for this new format then who on earth is?

I like the idea to flash up draws but it is very poorly implemented. The timer only needs to be a couple of seconds.

I've already posted about this here, and have already said how much I hate that manually drawing the teams one-by-one takes TWO clicks per team instead of one. Again, these are great ideas but poorly executed.

I also play the game at a similar pace to you and find these draws waste far too much time. I'm very much a "don't bore us, get to the chorus" kind of person when it comes to this.

30 minutes ago, Troels Jensen said:

True. I couldn't change the original offer in that regard because I had my sporting director initialise the bidding. So you are correct - I don't actually know what he was offered regarding playing time and promises. I suspect he would have been offered first team regular considering the lack of defensive depth in my squad but no - I can't say for sure.

You can see the other page with promises on top of the contract negs, button just to the left of "existing contract" drop down box.

33 minutes ago, Troels Jensen said:

The defensive positioning in this example is pure stupidity. Four defenders keeping a straight back line leaving a lone forward to himself because what? Rules? A certain amount of AI has to be involved for the human player as well.

Edit: I always choose tight marking, trigger press and weaker foot instructions for the opposing forwards.

what Rules? it's because of your setup, something I'd love to see more of in FM, that the choices we make have more impact both positive and negative.

PS: Man marking is a PI, not opposition instruction.

8 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

what Rules? it's because of your setup, something I'd love to see more of in FM, that the choices we make have more impact both positive and negative.

PS: Man marking is a PI, not opposition instruction.

If I have OI's on the forward set to tight marking and always press and I have four defenders close-ish to him, then I expect one of said defenders to be close to that forward. Having a back line as shown in my example is not realistic and you will never, dare I say, see it in the real world. Fair enough you want puppets but I would like a certain amount of common sense among the players to apply in this case.

I wouldn't care if the defenders had lost their marking or something like that but in this case they try to keep a straight line 12 feet from the byline for no reason at all. It's more bad AI and less wrong instructions. They literally had one job.

54 minutes ago, Troels Jensen said:

If I have OI's on the forward set to tight marking and always press and I have four defenders close-ish to him, then I expect one of said defenders to be close to that forward. Having a back line as shown in my example is not realistic and you will never, dare I say, see it in the real world. Fair enough you want puppets but I would like a certain amount of common sense among the players to apply in this case.

I wouldn't care if the defenders had lost their marking or something like that but in this case they try to keep a straight line 12 feet from the byline for no reason at all. It's more bad AI and less wrong instructions. They literally had one job.

pressing is done on the man with the ball, that and man marking are 2 different things. The defence is perfectly lined up for a left footed cross, seems like the wide man is an IW, and with no defenders marking the striker he scores. makes perfect sense IMO.

3 hours ago, rp1966 said:

They do, but when it comes to the modelling and texturing I think we're in SI's hands. The game needs to be able to produce 1000s of stadiums for clubs around the world and that means a construction kit approach - it also has to accommodate the way the crowds are generated. That's why I don't think city builder type mods for stadiums will ever be a thing.  The modelling, texturing etc needs to drastically improve (along with lighting and weather), but being able to at least choose the layout from the construction kit within the confines of the stadium capacity would at least address some of people's issues.

I don’t think any expects skylines type of editing. OOTP baseball has a stadium editor and it works just fine.

Just a couple of observations on the poor research of Burnley. 

1. Supporter culture shows 'play direct football' which is nonsense.

2. Charlie Taylor has played as a CB all season and yet can't play there at all on FM23.

3. Jay Rodriguez is a natural ML in-game... he's never played as a ML in real life. Maybe as a AM(L) a couple of times but that's all.

4. Nathan Tella can be re-called by Southampton in real life, but this clause isn't in the game.

5. Sean Dyche is only listed as 'favoured personnel'. To list Dyche alongside Brian Jensen in the favoured personnel category is laughable. He's at the very least an Icon!

Very poor from the Burnley researcher.

4 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

pressing is done on the man with the ball, that and man marking are 2 different things. The defence is perfectly lined up for a left footed cross, seems like the wide man is an IW, and with no defenders marking the striker he scores. makes perfect sense IMO.

Perfect sense from what perspective? Coding or real football (which FM23 is not, I know)? It still doesn't matter. There are four defenders just looking at the only player from the opposing team close to goal - one of them should be right on top of him, regardless of man marking instructions or not. What is shown in the example has no resemblance to real football.

Anyway, I don't think we'll come to an agreement, so let's not clutter this forum up more than necessary.

13 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

^ these are data issues. Need to be posted in the right thread.

I'll post them in the 'right thread', but this is also the FM23 Beta feedback thread so deserves to be posted here also.

56 minutes ago, Troels Jensen said:

Perfect sense from what perspective? Coding or real football (which FM23 is not, I know)? It still doesn't matter. There are four defenders just looking at the only player from the opposing team close to goal - one of them should be right on top of him, regardless of man marking instructions or not. What is shown in the example has no resemblance to real football.

Anyway, I don't think we'll come to an agreement, so let's not clutter this forum up more than necessary.

They're all standing back to goal, facing right way waiting for a left footed cross. Any further out and they'd have to run towards their own goal to clear the expected left footed cross. This is in fact a perfectly set up defensive line, it's their reaction to the play that causes problems when no one is asked to mark the striker. 

Whether FM should automatically hold your hand in situations like this or not is another discussion, like when a CB is off the pitch for treatment and your best fitted* CM/DM automatically covers for him. Or when an IW/IF runs wide because the space is there, even though you told him to always** cut inside. 

I've always felt FM's been a bit too helpful, so even if your tactics are whack your players find a way, having to put more focus on my defensive setup would be a welcome change IMO.

Issues with the Squad Planner have already been noted. I'm using a Customized view of my Squad screens, adding my U19 and B squad teams in the filter and then going position by position, same as I was doing in FM22. 

So far, I haven't seen the issues on defense in the ME, but I also haven't played many matches, yet. 

One minor irritating issue on staffing. I've accepted the recommendations of my staff to promote two members to higher positions and recruited two others to replace them. In both cases, the board blocked the replacement moves before accepting the promotions, leaving me the choice to either release the two promoted staffers to make room for their replacements or cancel the recruits' contracts. Since the promotions were offered first, they should be cleared first, and in all events there should be a "delay" button on the blocked move, similar to what happens when a club doesn't have enough cash to complete a transfer.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, DMaster2 said:

Lmao it's pointless to post there, international management improvements have been requested since forever and have you seen any? Or the set piece module? Or the graphics? Etc...

Hundreds of feature ideas are logged from that location every year. So it's not pointless in the slightest. The squad planner feature came in part from posts from our feature request forums as have many aspects of features over the years.

4 hours ago, autohoratio said:

That isn't was the person you quoted was saying.

They want to edit it as the person playing the game, who currently has the ability to use the pre-game and in-game editor, not have influence on the board as the in-game Manager. There's a significant difference between those two concepts.

Having a part of the pre-game editor setup to select basic setup for stadium is an idea I'm perfectly fine with, as I said when I wrote:

5 hours ago, XaW said:

If you mean a stadium editor as a pre-game editor to create mods, sure, no issues

For me I read it as "The manager should be involved in the layout of the stadium when building a new one", and that is something I really DON'T want in the game personally.

I pray that this is the year where you can create clubs like Athletic. Just let me add custom transfer policy and whack in a list of cities in which players must be born to be allowed to be bought by my club or a list of clubs players can be home grown at to play for my club.

I BEG.

Just got promoted from 3.Liga to 2.Bundesliga playing attacking possession football. Nothing but praise from fans. They loved it. All of a sudden, when we get promoted fan culture wants me to play direct and defensive. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by wicksyFM

6 hours ago, Kaiserslautern1900 said:

I'm not gonna go to the U19, check the ones with the highest potential and then go to squad planner and click on New --> U19 --> Position --> Name to add them.

You don't need to do that. Do it the other way around. They way I use it is I add everyone from my first team to my U-18s at the start of the game for each position. Then I go back to each position, and delete any that I don't think are of use in that position, whilst  adding any key shortlisted players. 

After I've done all this, I've got a clear picture for each position, and what's great about it now, is any position I'm weak on, I can immediately click to add a new scouting focus for that position. The feature to plan ahead seasons is great too, it actually saved me buying a left back at the end of the first season, as I had no idea a left back that had been on loan from the start of the game would be returning with such a high rating. 

Yes, there might be more 'clicks' than the old squad depth screen, but I find it much better to concentrate on one position at a time rather than look at an overall view. But that's just me. It's a feature that's perfect for the way I play the game, I totally get it's not for everyone. 

3 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

From all that hundreds of features per year that are logged, the one that emerged was the squad planner and not let's say .. a new set pieces creator.

The emergent process must be flawed somehow.

There's already a set piece creator in the game. Does it need improved? Maybe. (personally I think it's fine as it is, because the last thing the game needs is a further advantage for the human player)

But people's ire this year seems to be that any 'new features' are just revamps on what are there already. Surely that's all a 'new' set piece creator would be? 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

There's already a set piece creator in the game. Does it need improved? Maybe. (personally I think it's fine as it is, because the last thing the game needs is a further advantage for the human player)

But people's ire this year seems to be that any 'new features' are just revamps on what are there already. Surely that's all a 'new' set piece creator would be? 

Your personal opinion differs from my personal opinion and it's ok. I hope you don't think yours is more important than mine.

Surely we could understand that others may find useful a revamp for a buggy & clunky set pieces module, even if you personally find it fine as it is. 

15 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The single biggest flaw with set pieces is that you cannot select where players are on set pieces, only positions

It's needed fixing for ages. I don't get why it hasn't

3 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

Your personal opinion differs from my personal opinion and it's ok. I hope you don't think yours is more important than mine.

Surely we could understand that others may find useful a revamp for a buggy & clunky set pieces module, even if you personally find it fine as it is. 

Yeah but the point I'm making is that people are criticising this year's new features as being revamps of existing features whilst at the same time screaming to get a, er, revamp of an exisiting feature. 

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Yeah but the point I'm making is that people are criticising this year's new features as being revamps of existing features whilst at the same time screaming to get a, er, revamp of an exisiting feature. 

It could be possible to nuance your statement and maybe you will have more understanding for their ( and in this particular subject - mine ) point of view

[...] whilst at the same time screaming to get a, er, revamp of an exisiting feature that is flawed and buggy for decades.

Surely we can see there are nuances involved. People are not annoyed that we do not have a revamp of the main menu - for example.

People here are annoyed that there are major parts of the game that are not fixed for years /decades now ( in their personal opinion ) and there is not even a word about why not ?, when ?, or even if ever will they be fixed.

But the " headlines" parade is smaller and insubstantial year after year ( again in their personal opinion ).

So arguing that every criticism for not fixing / improving existing modules counters the statement that " new features" are not always new is not valid. These could coexist.

Yes, some of the headlines are revamps of older game modules and yes revamps are needed on other modules. No conflict of logic.

42 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

To some, squad planner is a downgrade to what they were using before. If a headline feature was the ability to set which players are in what position in a hierarchy for set pieces, Im sure many wouldn't complain that its a revamp because it would actually be a QOL fix for them.

BTW I have no problem with squad planner.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

Just now, Mars_Blackmon said:

To some, squad planner is a downgrade to what they were using before. If a headline feature was the ability to set which players are in what position in a hierarchy for set pieces, Im sure many wouldn't complain that its a revamp because it would actually be a QOL fix for them.

BTW I have no problem with squad planner.

My biggest issue with a revamp of set pieces is tied in with my biggest issue with the overall game. The AI. THAT is what needs improved upon before everything else. The human manager already has a monumental advantage over the AI manager. Giving users tools to create bigger exploits from set pieces won't be a step forward until the AI is intelligent enough to counter it. I suspect this is the main reason why SI haven't been able to improve that area of the game for years. 

10 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

My biggest issue with a revamp of set pieces is tied in with my biggest issue with the overall game. The AI. THAT is what needs improved upon before everything else. The human manager already has a monumental advantage over the AI manager. Giving users tools to create bigger exploits from set pieces won't be a step forward until the AI is intelligent enough to counter it. I suspect this is the main reason why SI haven't been able to improve that area of the game for years. 

The FM23 review video made by Benjy, Zealand, Lollujo and WTS makes some simple suggestions on how the logic of set pieces could be improved. For example, they suggest just as with set piece takers (like pens) we should be able to order players in a list (such as the tallest and strongest down to the least suitable) to defend key areas of the box - like near and far post. This would apply regardless of the tactic / formation being used. Couldn't the AI make use of the same tool if it existed? No idea, I'm not a developer.

Edited by rdbayly

1 hour ago, MBarbaric said:

i don't know what you do for living but i can tell you have no idea about defensive positioning.

:lol: cheapshots fired!

What I'm saying is that the defence is in a perfect line, goal side, facing the correct way. If the FM player hasn't set up his defence properly I am glad to see that now has ramifications on the match. This would never happen IRL, of course, because real life players aren't puppets, they make their own decisions all the time. But if this now is the reaction to us FM players not having given our defence instructions to mark properly, I'm very happy.

15 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

While that is true, it still doesn't explain why we are not given the ability to set a hierarchy like we can with free kicks and throw ins. Every game we have to adjust set pieces to make sure the correct players are in the correct position.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

Won't reply to the post above as it'll be gone shortly. I've seen the reddit threads, obviously people can be damning in their comments without fear of it being deleted. In fairness they can also be less objective. The "negativity" is almost wholly born of frustration and a reflection of how deeply people are invested in this game.