FM23 difficulty

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Junkhead said:

This is the point though isn't it? The AI versions of real managers should set up like their real life counterparts, and initially achieve similar results. If manager and player attributes were accurate and tactics worked as well as they should compared to real life,

I dont agree with this, IRL a manager can tell their players to do whatever the manager wants, and it may differ from match to match depending on opponent.

in FM you have 6-7 roles pr position with corresponding TIs that arent even available for all roles. So FM has to translate what managers do IRL into the available options that FM has.
I also think it would be impossible to make a ME that doesnt favor some tactics or setups over others and in turn give some surprise results. Man marking is really effective in FM, so real life managers that uses zonal markings only will struggle to win matches with that tactic translated into FM language f.ex. The list is endless.

8 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Honestly I've just used the same 433 DM Geggenpress from '22 and hard pressed to see if it's less effective.

From what I've watched of the Zealand/Benji/Wts video that was put out the other day, looks like they're thinking the same.

They've maybe tweaked the fitness levels etc to make it harder, by the squad management of a player controlled team Vs an AI controlled team pretty much negates any of the tweaks they make.

SI put out the stats for the beta so far and shock 433DM is favourite tactic

Until the AI know how to rotate squads and rest player, attacking high press tactics will always work against them.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

3 hours ago, zindrinho said:

I dont agree with this, IRL a manager can tell their players to do whatever the manager wants, and it may differ from match to match depending on opponent.

in FM you have 6-7 roles pr position with corresponding TIs that arent even available for all roles. So FM has to translate what managers do IRL into the available options that FM has.
I also think it would be impossible to make a ME that doesnt favor some tactics or setups over others and in turn give some surprise results. Man marking is really effective in FM, so real life managers that uses zonal markings only will struggle to win matches with that tactic translated into FM language f.ex. The list is endless.

No, I think you misunderstand me - you're 100% right with your post re. where we are currently at, and that FM isn't in a position to do what I suggested. And of course I appreciate that literally infinite possibilities and instructions - as you rightly say - is very unlikely.

But surely what I have suggested - IE a representation of an actual football match, and as close as possible to accurate attributes across all leagues is what SI are ultimately aiming for as they consider the game a simulation.  

And, if the game was more realistic (in pretty much every way), then it would also be harder, which is what the majority seem to want.

So, if what we are seeing in FM23 is teams that are at opposite ends of multiple leagues when compared to real life, and certain tactics dominating (which they don't in real life) then we are further away from the realism that SI are aiming for and from the difficulty level we all want.

If we focus on the limitations which are currently there and accept them as permanent then there is little point discussing the difficulty level because nothing will change.

33 minutes ago, Junkhead said:

So, if what we are seeing in FM23 is teams that are at opposite ends of multiple leagues when compared to real life, and certain tactics dominating (which they don't in real life) then we are further away from the realism that SI are aiming for and from the difficulty level we all want.

Its been like this for a long time though, and IME it seems to have a lot to do with who is managing the team. When the AI sacks their manager they often get completely different results. And not because the new manager is "better" or "worse" but has a different setup that might suit the team better. I dont think its possible to make AI managers act exactly like the real life managers and therefore getting real life end results on the division table (minus the ref mistakes and injuries as you mentioned). It's 380 games being simulated by a computer with probably a lot of RNG going on under the hood. I'm sure there are ways to make the game harder without having to make all league tables end pretty much exactly like they did IRL through 97 leagues from 53 nations. It just doesnt seem feasible to me.

I took charge of wolves got fired and went to qpr i got them to prem and then fired and now at spurs and dont seem to be winning a game i try alot of things, 

i was decent at fm22 but something just seems different, I mainly play 4231 but tried out many things and such even lose or get done by the shitter prem teams i dont get wtf im doing wrong !

44 minutes ago, Ammz51 said:

I took charge of wolves got fired and went to qpr i got them to prem and then fired and now at spurs and dont seem to be winning a game i try alot of things, 

i was decent at fm22 but something just seems different, I mainly play 4231 but tried out many things and such even lose or get done by the shitter prem teams i dont get wtf im doing wrong !

mentalities work different and so does the player roles. If you are using a 4231 and give up lots of goals, you might want to change the CM's to DM's as they act like CM's in a 4321.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

On 26/10/2022 at 16:00, SergeiG said:

If anything the game is too easy.

Last night I just finished my first season at United and I won the league, Both cups and the Europa League and I used one tactic which I made from scratch the entire season. Lost 1 game all season(away at City) and Ronaldo went to score 59 goals in all competitions 10/10 for difficulty level and realism.

The highlight for me was a game against Crystal Palace which I won 6-0. I was leading 2-0 and Casemiro was sent off in the 37 minute and I managed to score 4 more goals after that. Absolute joke.

image.png.3691acdc8dd058a34bdfab6811442501.png

Don't understand people who say its a joke and the game is too easy.  They pick a top 6 team in the country , download some amazing tactic , ramp their credentials up to the top shelf, put their details on none , and all this on a Beta version too , then say its a joke . A top 6 team might be your favourite but give yourself a challenge and change to a Sunday league manager on full detail with a low team in a low league . See if its easy then . Let's us know how you go 

Just now, prot651 said:

Don't understand people who say its a joke and the game is too easy.  They pick a top 6 team in the country , download some amazing tactic , ramp their credentials up to the top shelf, put their details on none , and all this on a Beta version too , then say its a joke . A top 6 team might be your favourite but give yourself a challenge and change to a Sunday league manager on full detail with a low team in a low league . See if its easy then . Let's us know how you go 

Some say it's easy as non league. Don't conveniently leave that point out.

5 hours ago, prot651 said:

I don't know how many times I have said this. I've been a Sunday League Manager rep with no badges, and still experience it in the Vanarama North with teams predicted to finish 23rd.

6 hours ago, sthptngomad76 said:

I don't know how many times I have said this. I've been a Sunday League Manager rep with no badges, and still experience it in the Vanarama North with teams predicted to finish 23rd.

I get this too. One of the 'easy' features in FM has always been recruitment at the lowest levels - it's too easy to bring in players on frees who are far better than both your own squad and the league you're in. So I set myself limits like no bringing in any players at all. I'm managing a University club on the beta, so I justify it in my inner narrative such that players unconnected with the establishment can't be part of the squad. I also have no badges, am a Sunday leaguer and have attribute masking on. Yet even with all that, I'm too successful. I did go on a losing streak - it got fixed when I simply clicked on accepting all my supposedly numpty assman's tactical recommendations.

Now I totally get that us LLaMas are a minority species as FM players and the game shouldn't be built around us, but there could be a tickbox in the setting up a new game screen that automatically sets up a load of restrictions such as staff being genuinely poor quality and players and staff only being interested in joining if they are a short commute away , maybe with 2 or 3 difficulty level options which, like attribute masking would be used by a minority.

Every single year there is a "the game is too easy thread".

Youve played the game for years on end, and you know exactly what buttons to click in what situations. Thats why you find it easy.

The game can never be hard enough or easy enough for you, because its not like real football anyway, all youre trying to do is break the game by testing tactic after tactic after tactic for weak spots in the match engine.

11 minutes ago, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

Youve played the game for years on end, and you know exactly what buttons to click in what situations. Thats why you find it easy.

The game can never be hard enough or easy enough for you, because its not like real football anyway, all youre trying to do is break the game by testing tactic after tactic after tactic for weak spots in the match engine.

Nope. Clearly you don't read the posts, so there's no point explaining  :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, prot651 said:

In the history of the EPL, 7 teams have won it, 2 of those were fluke years (Blackburn, Leicester).

Arsenal haven't won it nearly 20 years

Manchester United in nearly 10

Liverpool 1 title win.

Picking a top 6 side shouldn't mean you're just winning everything. 

Just about finished my first season of FM23 playing as Blackburn and I've had mixed feelings about.  After the first few matches I thought it was feeling a bit easy.  However as the season went on it's become harder and harder and I'm now finding it impossible to win at all.

3.PNG.04130073c97b8cc91b8d638333275176.PNG4.PNG.ec8daacceee6d3d902a923ca7afd088e.PNG

I'm playing with Valencia. Top badges with low reputation. 1st season finished easily 2nd in the league with only Real Madrid upfront. Lots of loan players left at the end of the season and with £4 million transfer funds thought I would struggle. 2 games in and easily winning again. My £3.7 million striker is on 31 goals in 28 games. Just too easy to score.

fm fofana.jpg

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Nope. Clearly you don't read the posts, so there's no point explaining  :rolleyes:

Theres no point explaining it to me no, because its a computer game and im not really bothered. The game isnt the slightest bit realistic in any way.

And im glad its not, because its entertainment for people like myself in my free time.

You can explain it to people who think like you do if you want, thats fine.

13 minutes ago, littledragon84 said:

Anyone who has started off with no managerial experience and the lowest coaching qualification in FM23, do you think it makes the game more difficult?

I think undoubtedly it does.  It's been a long time since I've tried it, but I seem to remember if you manage a big team with no experience/qualifications it makes it much harder at the start.  Though if you survive long enough, I think your reputation would increase.  Which would make it easier.  Although at the moment I'm finding the game more than a little difficult.  Apparently if you use a preset gegenpress you win every game.  I'm using a non preset gegenpress (I think) and finding it impossible to win at all recently.  How are you finding it?

Edited by priority76

1 minute ago, priority76 said:

I think undoubtedly it does.  It's been a long time since I've tried it, but I seem to remember if you manage a big team with no experience/qualifications it makes it much harder at the start.  Though if you survive long enough, I think your reputation would increase.  Which would make it easier.  Although at the moment I'm finding the game more than a little difficult.  Apparently if you use a preset gegenpress you win every game.  I'm using a non preset gegenpress (I think) and finding it impossible to win at all recently.  How are you finding it?

Atm I'm Cliftonville in Northern Ireland, I'm playing a 4-4-2, with basic instructions. They're a semi pro team so I avoid gegenpress as fitness levels are what you would expect for that level. I was predicted to come 6th and I am top of the league after 14 games, I have won 10 drawn 1 and lost 3 games. Scoring for fun but was conceding a lot, however past few games been keeping clean sheets with a few minor adjustments. 

My managerial experience and coaching stats are mid range. Reading this topic got me thinking would I be top if I had no managerial experience and nonexistent coaching abilities.

Think I'll wait until the release of the game before trying out as a novice manager with a smaller team. 

Just find it really interesting reading players opinions on this. 

Personally I think a 4-4-2 is underrated in the game.

3 hours ago, littledragon84 said:

Atm I'm Cliftonville in Northern Ireland, I'm playing a 4-4-2, with basic instructions. They're a semi pro team so I avoid gegenpress as fitness levels are what you would expect for that level. I was predicted to come 6th and I am top of the league after 14 games, I have won 10 drawn 1 and lost 3 games. Scoring for fun but was conceding a lot, however past few games been keeping clean sheets with a few minor adjustments. 

My managerial experience and coaching stats are mid range. Reading this topic got me thinking would I be top if I had no managerial experience and nonexistent coaching abilities.

Think I'll wait until the release of the game before trying out as a novice manager with a smaller team. 

Just find it really interesting reading players opinions on this. 

Personally I think a 4-4-2 is underrated in the game.

The problem is, you’d think a gegenpress at Northern Irish league level would be inappropriate because like you stated the fitness levels aren’t there, which is a completely reasonable assumption.

However, the game just doesn’t factor that in, leading to gegenpress working with every team in the game, regardless of fitness 

10 hours ago, Lesterfan_Cambiasso said:

I literally just click continue now. In previous editions I would scour the world looking for players, assigning coaching, looking at stats. But now that all seems like pointless busy work as it’s just not needed to overachieve. 

1 hour ago, sthptngomad76 said:

The problem is, you’d think a gegenpress at Northern Irish league level would be inappropriate because like you stated the fitness levels aren’t there, which is a completely reasonable assumption.

However, the game just doesn’t factor that in, leading to gegenpress working with every team in the game, regardless of fitness 

There also isn't much risk to playing attacking mentality as well. That mentality should be prone of losing the ball and inaccurate passes especially at the lower league level. Things like this as well as having the AI be smart enough to rotate players so they aren't tired more than your players will help with difficulty. Until then, attack and high press your way to victory.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

9 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

There also isn't much risk to playing attacking mentality as well. That mentality should be prone of losing the ball and inaccurate passes especially at the lower league level. Things like this as well as having the AI be smart enough to rotate players so they aren't tired more than your players will help with difficulty. Until then, attack and high press your way to victory.

Didn’t consider that. Well put.

10 hours ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

In the history of the EPL, 7 teams have won it, 2 of those were fluke years (Blackburn, Leicester).

Arsenal haven't won it nearly 20 years

Manchester United in nearly 10

Liverpool 1 title win.

Picking a top 6 side shouldn't mean you're just winning everything. 

True but its a game and those clubs gave heaps of money

1 hour ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I thought it was advertised in FM22 (which I never bought) that stamina would count for something and less fit players would not succeed in a gegenpress system. That seems not to have been the case then, and doesn't look like it's been factored in much now. As a LLaMa, I can't really tell if tired players perform worse as the nature of the game at that level is error-strewn anyway. Now in FM23, creators are trialling low block, defensive systems and telling us they work well (and my tactic is a default Cautious which I didn't use in previous iterations), but if you can still win too easily on default positive/attack mentality that's a real disappointment. I personally create tactics that I deem realistic rather than ones that 'exploit' the ME, but that's another example of having to proactively practise self-restraint, but it is disappointing.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

I thought it was advertised in FM22 (which I never bought) that stamina would count for something and less fit players would not succeed in a gegenpress system. That seems not to have been the case then, and doesn't look like it's been factored in much now. As a LLaMa, I can't really tell if tired players perform worse as the nature of the game at that level is error-strewn anyway. Now in FM23, creators are trialling low block, defensive systems and telling us they work well (and my tactic is a default Cautious which I didn't use in previous iterations), but if you can still win too easily on default positive/attack mentality that's a real disappointment. I personally create tactics that I deem realistic rather than ones that 'exploit' the ME, but that's another example of having to proactively practise self-restraint, but it is disappointing.

I personally create my tactics based on my team's strength using guide to FM. However, if my team is talented enough to attack and press according to guide to fm's guide then I will use it. Either way, I usually still overachieve (if Im expected for a relegation battle, I would finish mid table)

18 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I personally create my tactics based on my team's strength using guide to FM. However, if my team is talented enough to attack and press according to guide to fm's guide then I will use it. Either way, I usually still overachieve (if Im expected for a relegation battle, I would finish mid table)

Yeah, same, kinda. I mean, if my squad is one of the stronger ones in a league and I'm tipped for promotion, I'd set out an attacking tactic, but then again, I wouldn't choose that team! Wanting a difficult challenge, I choose the weakest team in the lowest league, so my tactic needs to reflect that. That's why I'm hoping defensive and cautious mentalities with low blocks without stamina-busting pressing tactics can work properly. Currently with the beta, I'm finding that, like you, overachievement is coming too easily.

2 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

I thought it was advertised in FM22 (which I never bought) that stamina would count for something and less fit players would not succeed in a gegenpress system.

They did advertise that. It was pretty much identical as before.

I think it's more frustrating getting told by developers that "this has been fixed" when it quite obviously has not- it's the same this year being told of the new manager AI improvements with their reactive play style and more aggressive transfer dealings, when in reality upon purchasing the beta they're as stagnant as always, as suggested here. There's always hope for the full release, but going by their track record I'm not holding out for substantial improvement. 

Edited by sthptngomad76

On 26/10/2022 at 09:00, SergeiG said:

If anything the game is too easy.

Last night I just finished my first season at United and I won the league, Both cups and the Europa League and I used one tactic which I made from scratch the entire season. Lost 1 game all season(away at City) and Ronaldo went to score 59 goals in all competitions 10/10 for difficulty level and realism.

The highlight for me was a game against Crystal Palace which I won 6-0. I was leading 2-0 and Casemiro was sent off in the 37 minute and I managed to score 4 more goals after that. Absolute joke.

image.png.3691acdc8dd058a34bdfab6811442501.png

I've been playing the game since it was called championship manager but I have to say i think this years game is harder or i'm doing something really stupid and obvious but apart from the fact that Christiano Ronalo is a goal scoring machine at 38 my side are awful and I mean awful. At one point i was 17th :o although my form did improve a bit I am still only 9th and about to get the sack.

3 hours ago, trekman said:

I've been playing the game since it was called championship manager but I have to say i think this years game is harder or i'm doing something really stupid and obvious but apart from the fact that Christiano Ronalo is a goal scoring machine at 38 my side are awful and I mean awful. At one point i was 17th :o although my form did improve a bit I am still only 9th and about to get the sack.

Championship Manager I think it was 99/00 season was the first time I played the game, brings back memories. I think they used arrows on the tactic screen to indicate if you had players attacking or defending, defo changed for the better now. 

How many games have you played in your save? 

What formation are you playing? 

2 minutes ago, littledragon84 said:

Championship Manager I think it was 99/00 season was the first time I played the game, brings back memories. I think they used arrows on the tactic screen to indicate if you had players attacking or defending, defo changed for the better now. 

How many games have you played in your save? 

What formation are you playing? 

"Wibble-Wobble"

(with-the-ball/without-the-ball)

5 hours ago, trekman said:

I've started a game with Man United to see if managing a bigger team would bring some success.  Five games into the season, I think I'm going to quit as the sack looks inevitable and I'm getting frustrated.  I know I'm tactically inept but it feels like managing a team who are expected to get relegated.

4.PNG.7a97705e08c617e280b8ac0ce90e47b1.PNG

2 hours ago, priority76 said:

I've started a game with Man United to see if managing a bigger team would bring some success.  Five games into the season, I think I'm going to quit as the sack looks inevitable and I'm getting frustrated.  I know I'm tactically inept but it feels like managing a team who are expected to get relegated.

4.PNG.7a97705e08c617e280b8ac0ce90e47b1.PNG

If you have a grasp of tactics the game is pretty easy. It make sense that you are losing if you are self proclaim inept at tactics, also a lot have change this year with how mentally and roles work so I am sure that adds to your difficulty.

On 29/10/2022 at 11:30, phnompenhandy said:

I've always played as a Lower League Manager. Right now, I'm managing the weakest playable team in Northern Ireland. I've given myself no badges and am an ex-Sunday League footballer.

As a result, my personal attributes are mostly 1s with a few 2s. There are 2 immediate consequences that I can see. Firstly, players tend not to respond to my teamtalks thus have no morale boost, as mentioned already. The second is that my contribution to team training is virtually nil. I get half a star in every category I train. Further down the line, I'm unlikely to get offered other jobs if I want out due to lack of success.

In terms of perceived difficulty level, this beta is feeling really good. My tactical tweaks appear to make a greater difference than previous versions, but the players are suitably hopeless for this level. Now admittedly, playing as a LLaMa, you can be far more forgiving of flaws in the ME. For example, I tell my keeper to roll the ball out to a defender, and he invariably hoofs it up the pitch. ME flaw, or he just doesn't trust the defenders? You can construct that kind of narrative at this level. But you can see changes like adjusting the D-line now. I'm defaulting to Cautious mentality and still scored 6 in my last friendly (4 being defensive howlers). I'd never go below Positive in previous incarnations.

I am with you on this. I have far more fun playing with Limavady United in the lowest league of Northern Ireland. I make my own tactics without ever studying other peoples tactics. For FM22 I use the Star Attributes skin that just turns attribute numbers into stars. I only sign players found by my scouts and all staff must be found from them applying for the job. I feel SI should make something like this as part of a "Challenge Mode" similar to OOTP. I suggest people may try some of the above things. I find the game becomes more interesting to me. 

On 30/10/2022 at 03:00, prot651 said:

1. I make my own tactic and I suck at it by the way and I don't change it for a few years and still the AI is clueless and keep losing to it. I am 2 seasons in(in April) and I already won the league and the Carabao Cup and on the way to the semi-finals of the Champions League and the FA Cup finals.

2. I complained about the same last year and I got so tired of the same argument "FM22 is actually Low league FM" so I started as Salford in League 2, had 2 back 2 back promotions, almost got promoted to the Prem in my 3rd year but lost in the play-offs and after 4 seasons I got to the prem and was good, never struggled and I go bored after thr 6th season for the same reason. ITS TO EASY! 

3. "put their details on none" what details are you talking about? Are you talking about the DB? what is that has to do with anything?

After I'll get bored with this save I'll probably start again in some farmers league in Europe like I do every year and guess what? It's going to be to easy again and I'll be an established Champions League team in a few years.

30 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

3. "put their details on none" what details are you talking about? Are you talking about the DB? what is that has to do with anything?

You can choose to run leagues you dont manage in yourself on full detail or none, "playable" or "view only", but no of course you cant manage a team in a league without having full detail on, people are just repeating misconceptions.

My best advice is to do a no-transfers save, only use the players your club already has and those coming through the youth system if you are tired of instant success too. If you also start in non-league you shouldn't see 5 promotions in a row anymore going from 6th tier to Prem league in 5 yrs. Of course it removes half the fun with the game, scouting, buying and developing talents, but you do get to see most of that talent getting into your 1st team and not just fall down the pecking order every time you buy a new player.

11 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

You can choose to run leagues you dont manage in yourself on full detail or none, "playable" or "view only", but no of course you cant manage a team in a league without having full detail on, people are just repeating misconceptions.

My best advice is to do a no-transfers save, only use the players your club already has and those coming through the youth system if you are tired of instant success too. If you also start in non-league you shouldn't see 5 promotions in a row anymore going from 6th tier to Prem league in 5 yrs. Of course it removes half the fun with the game, scouting, buying and developing talents, but you do get to see most of that talent getting into your 1st team and not just fall down the pecking order every time you buy a new player.

As I was saying above, that's how I play it, and it DOES become difficult - for the first few years anyway, until the squad rebuilding AI for the rest of the world shows its flaws.

To recap - a part-time non-league club, predicted to finish last in the lowest league. Players that leave can't be replaced; you depend 100% on the intake from your rubbish academy, as nurtured by your few hopeless staff. Realistic tactics - i.e. no downloads or ME exploits. Check out this guy (who doesn't play anything like as strictly) to see how hard it can be:

FM23 | The Head Coach | Airbus UK | EPISODE 12 - WE CAN'T WIN A GAME

5 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

The question was how does 'detail level' affect the difficulty.  I can't think of any way it would, as like you say the league you are in has to be played in full detail.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

As I was saying above, that's how I play it, and it DOES become difficult - for the first few years anyway, until the squad rebuilding AI for the rest of the world shows its flaws.

To recap - a part-time non-league club, predicted to finish last in the lowest league. Players that leave can't be replaced; you depend 100% on the intake from your rubbish academy, as nurtured by your few hopeless staff. Realistic tactics - i.e. no downloads or ME exploits. Check out this guy (who doesn't play anything like as strictly) to see how hard it can be:

FM23 | The Head Coach | Airbus UK | EPISODE 12 - WE CAN'T WIN A GAME

Why dont you just tell me how he's doing rather than making me watch stupid youtube videos? :D I'm doing the same game type myself now, started in norwegian 3rd tier with a team expected to end dead last, ended up in 2nd place and now being 1 leg away from winning promotion through the playoffs. Just got my fingers crossed I wont breeze through the 2nd tier now in just 1 season as well.

If you have other suggestions on how to make the game more difficult I'm all ears!

On 29/10/2022 at 12:49, noikeee said:

There's no such thing as an easy FM or a hard FM, what there is, is tactics that exploit spectacularly well a certain match engine, or that work spectacularly badly with that match engine.

Which is why every single year we have simultaneously people here saying FM is super easy and others saying it is super hard.

Now... There could well be something seriously wrong in the game that makes a certain gameplan too easy or too hard, 100%, yes. But you always have these massive differences between the experience of some and the experience of others. 95% of the time it's about tactics, 5% about other factors such as some versions of FM really making your team overperform or underperform if your team dynamics are high/low, etc.

There’s different levels of difficulty at different times in the game. At the start of the game it’s a lot harder as the AI teams are properly set. 

15/20 years down the line if you are a top side it will be very easy for you, regardless of what you do. You just need a settled side with good players and you’ll achieve your goals. 

12 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

Why dont you just tell me how he's doing rather than making me watch stupid youtube videos? :D I'm doing the same game type myself now, started in norwegian 3rd tier with a team expected to end dead last, ended up in 2nd place and now being 1 leg away from winning promotion through the playoffs. Just got my fingers crossed I wont breeze through the 2nd tier now in just 1 season as well.

If you have other suggestions on how to make the game more difficult I'm all ears!

It was intended for Sergei. I was joining you in showing him the game can be difficult. Anyway, Dan is daily one game away from the sack. Every watch is sheer jeopardy.

My own beta save in the third tier of N. Ireland has me mid-table and 6 of my squad have naffed off on New Year's Day leaving me with a skeletal squad until the intake arrive.

2 minutes ago, priority76 said:

Let me choose your tactics.

:D 

Are you available weekdays from 11pm to 5am? ;) 

Pretty sure any tactic would do just fine, simply man mark their attacking outlets, if you press them high at the same time the AI just cant get over the half way line. If you have ways to score a goal as well you'll hammer the opposition every time(*)