What's the point of discussing player interest with agents??

This feature has massive potential, but I find this irritating more times than not. The only way to get a positive response is by saying you're "very interested". Is there any point to actually being "slightly interested" since it's just going to offend the agent every time? I guess I'll just lie about every player and say I'm very interested to every agent. 

If you think of the player's agent as a salesman, acting for the player, then you perhaps can see that he will be much more enthusiastic and positive if he thinks that there is a good chance of him driving a successful deal  On the other side, if you ask him for details and don't convince him that it will be worth his while, he will get upset.  It really is like dealing with all interactions in the game, it is a balancing act that does need some thought.

37 minutes ago, FrazT said:

it is a balancing act that does need some thought.

What exactly is being balanced? If there is NEVER an incentive to give a realistic sense of your interest, if it is ALWAYS more beneficial to claim "very interested", what is the point of the feature??

28 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

What exactly is being balanced? If there is NEVER an incentive to give a realistic sense of your interest, if it is ALWAYS more beneficial to claim "very interested", what is the point of the feature??

Less likely to get hated by the agent if you don’t make a deal. 

33 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Less likely to get hated by the agent if you don’t make a deal. 

Now that's an actual reason! I did not consider that agents could possibly dislike you for failing to sign a player you were "interested" in.