Press Conferences & Tunnel Interviews?

1 hour ago, Wizard boy said:

Is there any benefits to doing them? Usually I send my assistant because I just can’t be bothered as it gets too repetitive. I’ve no doubt most do that but to those who do them, what benefits have you had from it. 

I've never seen any benefits.  Would be interesting if it's changed in FM23, but I doubt it.

In my last save,  the media sarcastically described me as 'talkative'!

Although I love press conferences because they help me get into the role-playing aspect of FM, it needs to be more impactful. People don't like doing them, but I think it's because they don't add anything to the game right now. We need a risk-reward factor here and a struggle between keeping the board, fans, and players happy. Answers shouldn't be right or wrong.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

5 hours ago, Wizard boy said:

Is there any benefits to doing them? Usually I send my assistant because I just can’t be bothered as it gets too repetitive. I’ve no doubt most do that but to those who do them, what benefits have you had from it. 

They definitely can, but I'm not brilliant at them. I just focus on not doing anything that will massively motivate the opposition or cause my own team to become complacent. One that definitely causes you to lose out is saying you think you're confident you'll win before a home game against a relegation candidate in your own league. It's as good as asking for a 0-0. They definitely have a big role in derbies and big matches too.

On 28/10/2022 at 11:59, Wizard boy said:

Tunnel interviews are useless, especially the post-match ones. The post-match tunnel Qs just end up being used in the post-match press conference if you no-comment or neutral your way out. Sometimes if you say something like "we're confident and we're the favourites" or "we'll play attacking football from the get go" your players are happier and you also develop relationships with opposition players by complementing them

The Press Conferences are too long at times. 

They can have an effect. Sometimes the Assistant Manager can say the wrong thing which can affect moral of team/players.

I tend to get labelled with the 100% attendance to press conferences. It does need a reboot for sure.

On 29/10/2022 at 00:08, FrazT said:

I only attend PCs for CL games, cup finals and big derbies- all others and the tunnel interviews are left to the AM- with little noticeable impact.

What I would like to see as an addition to when we left the AM handle the interviews - a bit of guidelines, for example : don't talk about transfers in or out/ loans , don't talk about player future.  Simple checkboxes with do or don't.

This small thing could improve the experience for those who don't want to handle them - and it's perfectly fine to not want to because it's a game and we should have options to automate things.

1 hour ago, C0bbl3rs said:

Wouldn't the do's and do not come from the board/management team already? They tell you what to focus on/not to focus on already.

I was talking about setting do's and do not's on AM , when delegating interviews .

I had my AM talking about transferring my captain, or some nonsense about his contract and all hell broke lose :) .

Ah OK, I get you. 

Thing is, what you suggest could change from week to week. In which case, you remove the need for press conferences and replace it with AM tick box challenge of sorts.

I don't mind press conferences, but the larger versions (20 off questions) gets annoying quite quickly.

Should be no more than 10 questions - tops.

I used to do them all but just found them mind-numbingly repetitive. Especially annoying are questions about “Why did you leave so-and-do in when he was obviously having a bad game?” The obvious answer, “Because 3 other players were exhausted and needed to come off, you dolt” is unfortunately never available. Since they come up in tunnel interviews, I no longer do them. As I’m starting FM23, I’m considering bagging at least some of the PCs, too.

The content of the interviews desperately needs to be improved. I won the Champions League with Everton and there two questions about my 18 loan player who is absolutely trash, and whether he's outgrown the club he's on loan to. Given it's the last game of the season it's not worth speaking about and given such a historic thing has just happened, why are they asking about that? You must get asked the same questions about your tactics about 30 times a season.

46 minutes ago, gunnerfan said:

I used to do them all but just found them mind-numbingly repetitive. Especially annoying are questions about “Why did you leave so-and-do in when he was obviously having a bad game?” The obvious answer, “Because 3 other players were exhausted and needed to come off, you dolt” is unfortunately never available. Since they come up in tunnel interviews, I no longer do them. As I’m starting FM23, I’m considering bagging at least some of the PCs, too.

Or the other player is **** but I don't want to say that... :D 

6 hours ago, C0bbl3rs said:

Thing is, what you suggest could change from week to week. In which case, you remove the need for press conferences and replace it with AM tick box challenge of sorts.

I don't mind press conferences, but the larger versions (20 off questions) gets annoying quite quickly.

I do respect your opinion and I think my idea doesn't exclude your style of play.

If there would be some options ( checkboxes with do or don't ) it would be an improvement - more granularity when delegating the interviews. Those who want to do the interviews would not be affected in any way.

I made a suggestion several years back to set a length for the amount of questions to the press conference before it begins - so if you want to answer only 1 question rather than 5, you can; or the opposite where you can choose to have a long press conference in a league where you'd otherwise only get 2 questions.

Really frustrating that the relevance of the questions you're asked haven't been improved in so many years. My current save is in a "two questions except for Derbies or other big games" league, and even then many of the questions will be completely irrelevent to the match that had just happened (e.g. a player scores a hattrick and another picked up a serious injury, but the press only want to ask about a youngster I sent out on loan instead)

The same old same old questions must be horrid for those new to the game... after so many years I essentially know the 'correct' answer within a glance.

I'm sure most players are the same... which makes the whole thing redundant.

Has been the same for many years and no sign it will get improved upon any time soon.

44 minutes ago, C0bbl3rs said:

The same old same old questions must be horrid for those new to the game... after so many years I essentially know the 'correct' answer within a glance.

I'm sure most players are the same... which makes the whole thing redundant.

Has been the same for many years and no sign it will get improved upon any time soon.

This, and the 'correct' answer is the same thing over and over and over again.

I dread meeting the press at a new club only to have to answer the same ten questions in the same way as always.

I almost always do pre-match pcs, delegate new signings to my DoF, and tunnel ambushes to my AM. It can be a struggle at times, the questions being so repetitive, boring, or downright moronic. They have improved in terms of variety in the last couple of versions, but there's still *cough* room for improvement.

That said, I feel that they set the tone. Your AM, if you send him, will invariably say something stupid, either giving the opposition their team talk, or inducing complacency in the players. And yes, it is partly for the immersion. You want to keep control of the narrative as best you can, while things like fending off persistent baiting from the press when the team isn't playing well is tough--these things reflect the world out there.

God, I have to admit, after doing literally tens of thousands of conferences, I just go through the motions, clicking on the "correct" answers in order to get the desired effect.

Sometimes I just goof off, tipping a newly promoted team to win the title.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to turn the conferences off completely.

7 hours ago, Prej said:

God, I have to admit, after doing literally tens of thousands of conferences, I just go through the motions, clicking on the "correct" answers in order to get the desired effect.

Sometimes I just goof off, tipping a newly promoted team to win the title.

Anyway, I'd love to be able to turn the conferences off completely.

It needs to be more engaging. I also feel like it’s a miss opportunity to show off your manager avatar.