Attacking 4-2-4 formation. Hints are welcome

Dear FM'ers,

This is my first time sharing a tactic. As I really want to play 4-2-4, with a potential superteam in the future, I chose PSG to test this tactic. This 4-2-4 system seems to do wonders in the domestic league, but I can't quite get it right in the UCL. Every time I'm (on holiday) getting knocked out before the semi's. First test I set the mentality on Very Attacking. Second test I changed it to Positive. The results are almost the same.

What are some tweaks I can make?

Holiday Test Results:

4-2-4.2.png

4-2-4.png

4-2-4 FM23.04.fmf

• 1 month later...

@darrylweezy Holliday-testing can be a bit misleading, as you don't have the option to tweak things (e.g. mentality) from game to game. The league results prove that your tactics are a decent starting point. However, against better competition (Champions League knockouts) you're probably too attacking.

One thing that comes to mind: you instruct your keeper to roll it out to the centrebacks and fullbacks but you're using extremely attacking wingbacks in that role. Once the GK has the ball, they will bomb up the field, making it impossible for the GK to roll the ball to them. I'd either remove "roll it out" or remove the fullbacks and just roll it to the centrebacks. Does it really matter if your keeper rolls it or throws it or kicks it?

The combination of low block and much higher defensive line leaves you open to balls over the top. I'd either change to mid/high block or drop DL to standard (if you want to keep the low block - which would be quite unusual for a big team like PSG).

• 1 month later...

A couple of things jump out at me as I’m in the process of moving to a 424 at  Vigo. For one, the two AF(A)s. I’m using one AF(A) and one PF(S). I’m also experimenting with a DLF and an F9, because I want someone dropping back in the middle. I also use two central mids (rather than DMs), but one is a DLP and the other is a BWM. I don’t want opponents ramming attacks up the middle. My two AMs are IF(S).

This arrangement is included in Rashidi’s Book of Tactics, available via Drop Box. I switched to it from a 433DM Wide because I have two young strikers who came on like gangbusters last season (24-25), and both needed more game time. I also landed Endrick, who I’m planning on using at the right IF. So, it had to be a 424. As an alternative, I have a 424 with DMs instead of MCs, but I’m still tinkering with the DM roles.

Good luck.