[FM23] & [FM24] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

SixPointer

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Header1.thumb.jpg.c10f0ad2c75de407f178ed946fdc9a31.jpg

is it all plain sailing

Four months have flown by since last, it proved to be some of the most fruitful and enjoyable FM but was it all plain sailing we will get to that.

1cd027c57dd9b9019b39bd5bf5c7b2f6.png

A near perfect September, the only blemish coming away to Lyon a game I wasn’t expecting to win.

The goals have kept flowing as have the clean sheets on the domestic front, I’m very much a believer that a strong attack wins games but a strong defence wins championships.

654e203b8776bc079e572eab744e0914.png

Standard Liege returned to the champions league proper for the first time since 2009/2010 and boy did, they make a statement.

The Turkish champions arrived in Belgium in good spirits, it was short lived. After 12 minutes Nicolas Raskin smashed in a freekick, however a former Franz protégé Thierno Ballo would equalise, Franz had turned Ballo’s career around and this is how he repaid him.

Stoisavljevic fired home a superb Melvin Bard cross to ensure the hosts went into the break in front, nothing short of what they deserved after battering the visitors. Fenerbahçe came out fighting and made a game of it until a Ballo was caught on the ball and Liege went direct, Dragus with a superbly taken finish.

0e7a15f0f6406ea1900b741fdf0421c1.gif

Stoisavljevic confirmed it was a night to remember for the liege faithful. His movement of the ball to find himself in behind in the half space was perfectly matched by De Winters great pass, the touch and finish rounded off a beautiful goal and a memorable evening.

9aec23044573ef7224fe4dd15cd0ae20.png

October got off to a flyer with a comprehensive 3-0 win in the Walloon derby, leaving the Zebras title challenge in pieces. Raskin laid on two, both great balls in behind the defence, Dragus who looks to have recaptured some of his form from the first season finished emphatically, Rauta who’s had a slower start this year tucked away the second.

08c1fcc1703d6081d5657ae4ecc8ae9f.png

A huge three points from a very tricky place to go, Donetsk. Shaktar are UCL regulars so to come out on top on this one is massive for us.

The decision to switch to the 3-5-2 shape worked wonders, the shapes matched up and from the half time overview you can see how crucial the anchorman became in protecting out backline.

Shaktar had the better chances but failed to capitalise, in the end Rauta's early Salah like finish and Franz game plan to sit deeper in the later stages was enough to secure the three points in what was a very tight contest.

eefe5a72b3d9159160fadb9e70fc349d.png

Unfortunately, we couldn’t make it ten wins in a row in the Jupiler league, dropping points away at Union Saint - Gilloise in Brussels is a poor result. The capital club were dead last, I don’t want to slip up after big European results to become a habit after all the league remains the utmost priority.

64228eee86772f4d60b4ff0ece357203.png

Well Thomas you sir are in for a shock!

8ffe7a712046617bb72177a8cec275ec.png

What a month for the club, a colossal victory in north London making Tuchel eat his words in the process. Eupen dispatched 3-0 with a rotated team and the great Inter sent back to Milan empty handed suffering a 2-0 defeat in the process, beating a much improved Club Brugge was the icing on the cake.

Again the 352 shape worked wonders against Spurs, they played a 343 with dual AMC's this allowed our CMs to match up with their pivot and go man for man at the back. A risk but a calculated risk, a penalty allowed us an early lead which helped the game plan, but in truth after the second went in we sat in and withstood some heavy pressure.

Winning against KAS Eupen was a must, considering we had faltered after our last big UEFA champions league match. the pick of the goals coming from an excellent KVDB line breaking pass to release Rauta in behind who again finished excellently coming inside on his left.

e81bd53bc6289fbe4dbab5abcc849db6.png

A famous night in Liege, perhaps the clubs biggest result in recent times and one am sure the fans will saviour.

The Italian giants offered very little, and I was shocked at how inept they were at breaking down our midfield, I opted to go 343 and take the game to them and it worked perfectly, so much so that they changed from a back three to a back four by the end of the game.

I showed a clip of the Milosevic chip but here it is again for good measure.

0d1fcf61808e1db12a3acc5c6849627f.gif

Rauta stuck the nail in the coffin off Club Brugge to seal the perfect month, very nice to see the front three all linking. Milosevic dropping deep to receive the ball before playing it into Benny who slides the ball into the gap vacated by Milosevic whose movement has pulled the defensive line apart. Rauta shows his composure and finishes of a great move and the month.

46e9e8ac443503225cfa7093cb86bab3.png

December brought about another huge European performance, going toe to toe with the Portuguese giants and coming out on top.

A penalty decided the fate of this one, Benfica were far more dominant and unlike Inter Milan, they carved us open a few times only to be met with the inspired Vandevoordt.

8 saves, 7 held and 1 tipped, against an XG of 1.82 it was quite the performance from arguably the most frustrating player at the club. He can have two or three games like this where he is unbeatable, saves things he just really shouldn’t, comes and claims crosses and through balls. Then you have two games he’s rooted to his line and throws one in.

b726cf0d839b4110022c2ebaaef0921b.png

Yes thats correct a 3-0 humbling at the hands of Genk, there will be no treble, and the back to back cup holders are out.

ae9a97d4b3329b854e4ce24603530f81.png

In fact, the wheels completely came off the second half of December we looked like a team crying out for the winter break injuries to Diakite, and the magic Milosevic didn’t help matters.  A cup exit and 6 points dropped in the league wasn’t how I envisaged rounding up the update so you could say it wasn’t all plain sailing, but it was pretty special sailing to this point.

dc67da50398936821f93df638fc81a2f.png

The five draws, three of which came in December allows Gent, Club Brugge, and Anderlecht to have title aspirations again especially when you consider the points will be halved at some point.

That said if we can put the blip behind us and turn those draws back into wins and remain unbeaten there is potential to increase that margin again. It feels crazy to be critical unbeaten, 35+ goals difference, the best attack in the league the best defence. Correct the draws in December and it would be unbelievable.

d7adc2ddf218fb720d1662035a2ba0b3.png

When you bring our UEFA champions league position into the equation it’s been a phenomenal season thus far in Liege. In fact, I don’t think the most optimistic die hard liege fans could ever have dreamt this up.

Two ties left to play in January, the Galactico’s Real Madrid the arguably biggest glamour tie world football and Hertha Berlin who finished runners up to Bayern last season but are struggling this year. If we can leave those two games with 2/3 points, we give ourselves a real shot of qualifying.

Edited by SixPointer

2 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Looking very strong in the Champions League!

On paper yes. But spurs and Benfica battered us in reality. I just learnt my lessons for holding out with my systems. Something I haven’t had to do till now really.  Inter Milan had a nightmare against us. 

It seems that we are most critical of our tactics when things are going well and we think we should be doing better or things are terrible and we want better!

Your Standard Liege team is doing well for a team of its stature. Just not as well as you want it to because you are on a "Schedule" with the challenge.

Just win your league, continue efforts in Europe and glory should come your way if you let it.

9 hours ago, warlock said:

Always a good feeling :lol: Great win against Inter, too. Hopefully, you can regroup in January and get back to business.

Thanks bud. I think the champions league excitement took my eye off the ball. Along with a handful of injuries. Need to get back to winning ways quickly.

7 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

It seems that we are most critical of our tactics when things are going well and we think we should be doing better or things are terrible and we want better!

Your Standard Liege team is doing well for a team of its stature. Just not as well as you want it to because you are on a "Schedule" with the challenge.

Just win your league, continue efforts in Europe and glory should come your way if you let it.

You’re spot on bud. The league is the sole aim this season! That opens the next stage of the challenge we’re more building towards a UCL crown will happen. Which is mad considering how good things are going at standard.

42 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Absolutely brilliant stuff mate!! And the team should be recharged after the winter break as well. Maybe you can go for the CL in this phase after all ;)

Who knows it appears stranger things have happened. I did have to hold firm against Benfica and Spurs both games were true smash and grabs.

55 minutes ago, warlock said:

Sad but inevitable. Good luck with filling the gap!

I’ve got a couple options. There is a Mexican wonderkid who looks even better but I don’t feel it’s a very realistic route. There is another Balkan baby who has everything but pace. He’s also about 10 million cheaper and feels a little more realistic consider where I usually shop.

7 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Yikes - the last thing you want is to lose key players mid season 

suppose that’s the nature of the beast. A victim of our own success 

38 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

I’ve got a couple options. There is a Mexican wonderkid who looks even better but I don’t feel it’s a very realistic route. There is another Balkan baby who has everything but pace. He’s also about 10 million cheaper and feels a little more realistic consider where I usually shop.

suppose that’s the nature of the beast. A victim of our own success 

Gotta love the Balkan talent! 

53 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

When the talent raiders come, they come all at once.

Very very true!! I was hoping to survive one more window.

34 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

Gotta love the Balkan talent! 

it feels more realistic than a Mexican. 

A big loss to lose that pair, but you had great service from both. Release clauses can kill momentum, but you strike me as the kind of guy who will overcome it. Agree the Mexican doesn't seem such a realistic move, am sure you'll work smart and recover from this.

Gotta love the Balkan talent.

It feels more realistic than a Mexican.

I wonder how the average person would react if they overheard this conversation in a cafe? Probably move to a distant table :lol:

13 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

A big loss to lose that pair, but you had great service from both. Release clauses can kill momentum, but you strike me as the kind of guy who will overcome it. Agree the Mexican doesn't seem such a realistic move, am sure you'll work smart and recover from this.

Yeah, but I like the fact the release clause comes into it. Feels realistic. 40 million for a player we paid 3.5m for 2 years earlier is testament to his meteoric rise. 

yeah I haven’t played since I got back to Scotland. Always happens first few days am back from work it takes time to settle back in. But I’ve definitely went off the idea of the Mexican.

11 hours ago, warlock said:

Gotta love the Balkan talent.

It feels more realistic than a Mexican.

I wonder how the average person would react if they overheard this conversation in a cafe? Probably move to a distant table :lol:

Hahahahah I think the cafe would empty pretty quickly 🤣

On 14/07/2023 at 10:19, SixPointer said:

Yeah, but I like the fact the release clause comes into it. Feels realistic. 40 million for a player we paid 3.5m for 2 years earlier is testament to his meteoric rise. 

yeah I haven’t played since I got back to Scotland. Always happens first few days am back from work it takes time to settle back in. But I’ve definitely went off the idea of the Mexican.

Hahahahah I think the cafe would empty pretty quickly 🤣

Yes agree on the realistic transfers. I try to work on those kind of ideas too.

Enjoy your time back in Scotland. Best not to frequent any cafes there, just in case...

On 15/07/2023 at 11:55, Jogo Bonito said:

Yes agree on the realistic transfers. I try to work on those kind of ideas too.

Enjoy your time back in Scotland. Best not to frequent any cafes there, just in case...

🤣🤣 managed to avoid the cafe but the pub was an all weekend event….

2 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

That Inter win! Things are looking really, really positive for you @SixPointer - I hope you get in some FM time soon...

Thanks man. Well everyone that hasn’t seen me has caught up with me over the weekend so this midweek should be less hectic and allow for some much needed game time 

• 2 weeks later...

Header1.thumb.jpg.7359d20b1ac28cfcce34d3ec32a30237.jpg

Hello, hello It's good to be back, it's good to be back

My 18 days at home were action packed to say the least, somewhat like the transfer window I had recently completed at Standard Liege. This delayed my update and thus stopped any game time, but here we are ready again.

It would be a significant window, huge departures have already been declared and it was time for Franz to again show his fantastic eye for a player and his ability to get real value for money.

6a5092265e47d25c3ecf4692ba679d91.png

A huge profit margin, 84.5 million euros to be precise. The league record for individual player sales was broken. Club records of course smashed for income, but also records broken for single player arrival.

Has Franz pulled off another transfer masterclass.......... let's get into it.

876aea7126f8f1e5a308a8272be61833.png

Two out of the three major outgoings have been covered, two massive losses to our forward line but both brought in large profit and let's be honest all good things must come to an end. However the last major deal Koni De Winter perhaps displays Franz's ability to drive profit for undervalued players.

Koni had moved to Juvenetus as a youngster but failed to make the grade, a career of loans had been okay until he then caught Franz eyes on loan at Oostende after an impressive spell. A free transfer and one solid first season was followed by being the stand out defender so far this term. 30 million euros of pure profit, sublime business.

068cca31f07b0fbc79c6fe6c2dd49aba.jpg

His replacement Sebastiaan Bornauw returns to belgian football after seven years away, the former anderlecht academy graduate had spells with FC Koln, Wolfsburg, Villareal and finally Alaves.

The big powerful center back broke the clubs record signing fee, a costly outlay indeed but coming into his prime, returning home felt right. I think he is the perfect player for that middle stopper role in our back three, he takes no prisoners and can do the basics on the ball.

His personality and leadership qualities will provide our youth players with an excellent role model but also makes him a strong candidate for a captain berth if Nico Raskin was ever to move on.

51aa48fc48e479b40360801f1589aa03.png

Rauta and Milosevic replacements, there were of course so many candidates here but in the end i opted for as much realism as possible while securing cost effective able replacements.

Jason van Duiven, has been on the cusp of breaking into the PSV squad and perhaps is a shock signing in terms of his goal returns. However Holland being our neighbours is certainly a well travelled route.

He looks ideal for that AF role on the left hand side, with his pace, power, creativity and all round intelligence. I can't help but feel he has so much potential to unlock. Certainly a risk.

Another Serbian wonderkid you say? Nemanja Spasic looks just that. My only real concern is his lack of pace and acceleration other than that he looks a complete forward

Lethal finisher, great touch and technique, powerful and determined. His 15 league goals in his first 38 starts is most impressive for breakthrough seasons, i'm positive he can provide us something similar to his departing countryman.

8684ba7e4794767a2e6179e57108a47e.png

Another pure profit sale, Matazo another who started in Anderlecht's academy before failing to make the grade in Monaco. A free transfer to Standard in his home country offered him a life line, now he moves after a fairly successful first season to league rival Gent.

I sanctioned the deal as it represents a good profit margin for a player who is mainly used as a backup, he only plays well in flashes and with Kamiel Van De Perre lined up as a replacement for 2.5 million it made total sense. Kamiel has impressed me every time we've come up against him after he made his move to Antwerp.

4a705dccc6da5f64945c0dcaea7339ea.png

The final sale came as a surprise as I had real high hopes for Belocian, my most improved player last season. However the deal was simply too good to turn down and the player wanted to go. Bought for 2.5m from Rennes B team he also typifies another Franz Schemier profit turning special.

Natan a Brazilian that I had in FM 22 at Ajax in my last challenge, arrived for 2.7 million, a bargain when you consider how well rounded he looks. I had looked at Marcos Leonardo which would have given me a nice Brazilian duo but his wage demands were ridiculous.

Edited by SixPointer

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

I wish I could be as ruthless and as efficient as you in the transfer market. 

Glad to see you back at it.

Thanks man good to be back..

It does take a lot of time and patients to get the targets right. It’s easy to get excited and keep clicking continue when chasing a player during transfers and then perhaps you miss out and then no plan B.

The biggest basic tip I can give you is at all times have five players shortlisted for each position. In named lists so for example. Name it GK with 5 saved players and use a stats filter to match GK outputs. Every month check in on their performance. If someone is below par have a look for someone to add into the list. This way you always have five options that are performing well and ready to go if need be.

Then I usually have a list of players that are just out with my level so that if I take a step up I have a decent list of players ready to go with me to next level or if a move club.

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Great to see you back and it looks like you have been very efficient with those transfers.

Bornauw and Van De Perre catch my eye, but it's really the strikers that will likely make the difference. I hope they work out well for you.

I think Bornauw is a real coup I know he’s 28 but I think it’s the perfect age for that role. In the middle of the back 3 has been rather unsettled and I think he will toughen it right up.

The strikers are both gambles in a way, the Serbians lack of pace could be an issue but his stats have been good. JVD hasn’t lit the world on fire at PSV but there’s just something telling me I can get the very best out of him. 

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

at all times have five players shortlisted for each position

Wise words. If only I could develop the patience :D.

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

just something telling me I can get the very best out of him

You have to back your instincts, I think, and I'm sure you'll be proved right. An amazing window financially!

12 hours ago, warlock said:

Wise words. If only I could develop the patience :D.

You have to back your instincts, I think, and I'm sure you'll be proved right. An amazing window financially!

Once you get 5 it’s easy to keep on top off. Especially if you save the filters. So I have the leagues I shop in saved and average ratings as a filter. So if I need to find someone new for the list I can see who’s having a good season on average. Then I can dig deeper into them if I see something. That way it’s saves me trolling though poor players.

Header1.thumb.jpg.ac1898a7485939ad7eb6f7b6fe1023c8.jpg

Life goes on...... with or without whoever

It was time to get back to business on the pitch. A huge month lay in wait for the new boys. Two games to decide our champions league future and three league games with an unbeaten run to keep up.

d121a37dddc82d0eb561a20c3cf7ffd2.png

Just the start needed for the young Dutchman, grabbing the only goal of the game with a ruthless finish in a tight affair against Genk.

27ba7c6f8a181ae963c1e26c13f5f835.gif

The iconic Santiago Bernabéu was the next destination

A bleak start after conceding a penalty on three minutes, but Vande saved it. 18 minutes and we did fall behind in the most frustrating of ways for me personally, condeding from a corner. That said we got back into it with a moment Dennis Dragus will be able to tell his grandchildren as he scored in the famous cauldron.

The second half was one way traffic, complete bombardement from Real, Vandevordt did well to keep us in it for so long but eventually the pressure told when Rodrygo fired home. The third and final nail to our coffin was another goal from a set play which capped off a very humbling visit to the kings of the European cup.

This leaves us on the cusp of qualifying due to results elsewhere, it would be a monumental achievement to finish in the top eight of Europe's elite, add in the benefits of missing the extra playoff round and it make the Berlin game gigantic.

4c3a514481827616a838d7acd2cf3760.gif

The two new boys linked together for the first time, Spasic providing for Jason van Duiven. Both players are unavailable for the Uefa Champions League, which in a way is a positive as it has allowed them time to settle and remain fresh.

St Truiden battled well and were probably worth a point on their own patch, again it was set plays that made the difference between two goals coming from corners. Brassier near post and Beno showing why its vital to have a man attacking the back post even in a near post routine.

8a420bf474f53c3e11b5aea10210753f.png

I really forgot how impressive we had actually been in the UCL, look at those named victries, huge scalps. Qualifying ahead of the historic greats of AC Milan, Real Madrid and Benfica to slot as well as the riches of PSG and Chelsea.

Anyway Hertha who were runners up to Bayern last year offered very little in attack and on another day we should have buried them, countless missed chances but in the next round and that's the main thing.

9d6fd3c274d235f704c525951cdf47a3.png

Things never quite clicked in front of goal against Hertha Berlin but unfortunately for Cercle Brugge they did today.

Our wide centre back Bafode Diakite headed home four times, all from set plays. As everyone knows only too well how much i love my set plays you can imagine my pure delight at this alone never mind the other four goals scored.

JVD makes it four goals in three league starts, it would appear the risk vs reward has paid off, still early days but the early signs are promising.

He has thrown in a couple of rabona crosses as well which is something i've not seen a lot of, but it's not just the showboating you can see from his second goal he isn't afraid of working hard in the press.

Big Spasic netted for the first time also, getting on the end of a fine team move. The young Serb has been unlucky not to find the net in his first two outings.

His link up play has been really impressive, dropping deep and turning on it before linking with his other two strikers, adding traits of plays with back to goal and drops deep are on the agenda. His style may see me switch the front line up slightly, AF, DLF, AF as he isn't the complete forward like Milosevic was.

8c792c0f167e685b6cd9190ce4d52d18.png

While the Champions League run is splendid, realistically we aren't going to win it, therefore the main focus must remain on the league, another domestic title opens the opportunity to move to the next level of the challenge.

Just over the halfway stage and we have an eight point cushion over Gent, ten over Club Brugge and twelve over Anderlecht. I expect all three to push us until the bitter end.

Yes we are unbeaten in 28 games if you include the carry over from last season, but that's only going to make the target on our back bigger. Complacency is not an option here.

13 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Imperious league form, great work. I wouldn't rule out your slim CL chances either, and the cash rewards will be valuable if you can take it a bit further.

You never know the boys that have came in have responded well, Big Seb made his debut against Brugge and won 90% of his duels. So I’m hoping in those big European nights he can be the difference in big defensive moments 

Header1.thumb.jpg.86aa4c558237c60e1631635def443c59.jpg

If it comes easy, its not worth having

A two month update rolled into one, this will take us up nicely to the split in the league.

We got things under way with a comfortable 2-0 win at Zulte Waregem, the early goal settled nerves. The homeside huffed and puffed but really couldn't break us down, then a long ball was knocked down and then slipped through and then finished, a nice collaboration from the front three.

RWD Molenbeek visited the champions and for 45 minutes held their own, in the second half they were taken apart and Standard ran out 3-0 winners. Jason van Duiven with another trademark finish at the far post, latching onto a great pass from Stoisa after some good deep build up. It was the catalyst, goal two killed it and goal three was a work of art from JVD to release Benny in behind.

1fa4713062b37a5181901f20fc1f157e.png

Big Seb looks a solid acquisition, dominant in the air, and reads the game well. This game showed another side to him, his ability at the base of the base of the defence to spread the play, while he lacks vision it does make me consider a BPD, especially when on top possession wise.

0f809a261f2b38b220edebabe268110a.png

Antwerp delivered a crushing blow, the dream of winning a title invincible shattered. The defeat hurt, the manner of it hurt twice as much. We battered them but couldn't hit the target, never mind the back of the net.

We would fire another blank in the Walloon derby, a chance to get right back on the horse and to winning ways in a big match. However Stoisa had other ideas and decided a two foot lunge on the halfway line would be a good idea. Holding out for a big point in the end and taking our unbeaten home run to fifty games in doing so.

58f22c29d3c4c1dbe6c5f0d043d6d123.png

I mean there is no easy draw at this stage, Hertha, Lyon and Ajax perhaps? even a home tie would have been better, anyway we're off to the San Siro for the first leg to take on the Italian champions and seven time European champions, AC Milan.

AC Milan destroyed us, just a whole level above us. I don't think going into the game of the back off two poor results helped matters. 4-0 going on ten to be perfectly honest, Immobile was irresistible and the double pivot of Bennacer and Tonali just picked us apart. We had one big chance at 2-0 and failed to take it.

It was looking like another one of those days against Kortrijk, lots of shots, not a lot on target, no clear cut chances. In the end a massive three points was sealed in a 1-0 victory after Josef Beno seized on the centre backs mistake and rifled home a much needed winner, the clean sheet a welcome sign as well after being hit for four goals previously.

bdb8a823464f50e3821cf13e4a58324b.png

No surprises here the damage was done in the first leg, a respectable 1-1 at home and 9.6 million in the bank not all bad. I think getting out of the league phase with some big results makes this a little tough to swallow but I think on the whole it has to go down to a very successful campaign.

d2d7454b70b57dcec4bebe26146138a2.png

Finally it felt like something clicked against Union Saint-Gilloise, granted the Brussels club are fighting relegation.

I switched it up slightly this time, pushed the defensive line higher in a bid to suffocate them. I felt teams that surrendered possession and territory were not being punished enough, teams naturally sit off much which makes the space in behind more scarce.

The front three had a field day, for the first time deployed Beno as the CF and Spasic as the DLF, the link up was clear to see with the Serb laying on the first two of Beno's hat trick. Two goals from corners followed, before the trio all linked perfectly to seal Benos third goal.

JVD scored twice, one either side of an own goal, his first goal showed space in behind is still available if we can make the turnover, even in the opponent's half.

f05fe62370065d161fbbb9e88009b329.png

The inconsistency is killing us at the minute, no two games are the same. No disrespect to KAS Eupen but we should be burying a team like them, the fact they had zero shots on target further cements that fact.

The only positive is that we are still creating chances which means there isn't an awful lot I can do than be patient with my strike force. Milsoevic and Rauta were always going to be big boots to fill so it will take time to get that level of ruthlessness every game.

2bb329ce61bbb324f933811e16ce1b7a.gif

An 88th minute equaliser from Nicolas Raskin after some great work on the byline from Stoisa, rescued a point against Club Brugge and maintained our unbeaten home record in the final game before the split. Well it was more of the same, plenty of chances created just lacking the killer instinct.

The annoying part is 1-1 flatters Club Brugge, cutting off the supply to their front two and isolating them for the majority of the game. Two points dropped but feels like one gained because we fought till the death.

9c942e2f2ef33d9b9c3532b4a83499e3.png

Nevertheless our patching form didn't stop us from finishing top, and qualifying for the championship group. Our eight point lead from the original table is cut to four points due to the points being halved. I still find it hard to believe after Austria and here, but I must say it's grown on me and keeps it competitive. 

I think it's safe to say anyone in the top four has a real shot at winning the title, there isn't really a standout team on form out of the four, we have the best attacking and defence in the league even though it doesn't feel like that right now, but it's time to kick on now and bring it home.

Edited by SixPointer

It's one thing to compete or dominate domestically but the step up in quality in the late stages of the Champions League is something else. I suppose it's realistic, but it's also disheartening.

Looking good for another title, though. How does the post-split league work? Play the other 5 home and away (seems like a lot of games late in the season), or something else?

1 hour ago, warlock said:

It's one thing to compete or dominate domestically but the step up in quality in the late stages of the Champions League is something else. I suppose it's realistic, but it's also disheartening.

Looking good for another title, though. How does the post-split league work? Play the other 5 home and away (seems like a lot of games late in the season), or something else?

Exactly I love the realism I strive for it so I can’t take it personally when a team like Milan ups their game in the knockout stages.

Yeah another ten in total, I’ve played to already. If I can get another three I may well do a little update then do a title run in for bit of a buzz. 

4 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Great run in the CL, however more investment needed to truly compete, I fear

I genuinely think it’s beyond us for the next 4/5 years in Belgium. Losing star players is always gonna have an effect at that level and it takes time to replace fully. Albeit we’re making great profit so it should allow us more growth again in the summer. 

Unlucky but realistic CL exit, important cash rewards banked though.

Incredible to think that despite only one league loss, the title is not yet wrapped up. But a lead of four points is no doubt going to be enough and I am 100% sure you'll get the job done. Right? :)

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Unlucky but realistic CL exit, important cash rewards banked though.

Incredible to think that despite only one league loss, the title is not yet wrapped up. But a lead of four points is no doubt going to be enough and I am 100% sure you'll get the job done. Right? :)

Crazy indeed, we have had a few draws. I’m hoping to update tomorrow all I’m saying is it’s still not done and dusted!