[FM23] & [FM24] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

SixPointer

1 minute ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks my man!

yeah I’ve been fortunate enough to travel to Malaysia, Brazil, Norway and soon Angola through work. It’s a challenging project and 12 hours everyday. Throw in my fitness routine and FM isn’t going to be an option. So I think I’ll leave it behind as it will just frustrate me only being able to play it at a glimpse. 

I've often gone long spells without playing FM. But whether I'm living in Africa, Middle East or Europe, I cannot be strong enough to leave it 'at home'. Good mental strength needed to do that!

But yes, unless you're @warlock most of us have to commit to work first :lol:

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

I've often gone long spells without playing FM. But whether I'm living in Africa, Middle East or Europe, I cannot be strong enough to leave it 'at home'. Good mental strength needed to do that!

But yes, unless you're @warlock most of us have to commit to work first :lol:

I think it’s more the fact I couldn’t do the game justice! Life would be better if FM was work :brock:

Warlock has it right!

• 2 weeks later...

Must say I’ve enjoyed my holiday in Greece and it may inspire a little Greek save on FM24.

With the announcement of positional play, anyone who has followed me for a while and my tactical styles will know just how exciting that is for me.

I hadn’t intended to get it or write about it as work is going to take over my life in Africa as of mid November but I’ve had some news it may push back till January!!! 

13 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Wow what a phenomenal way to win the Champions League and end the curse! Just caught up on the last (several) updates mate, amazing stuff! Been a thoroughly enjoyable read

Thanks bro! Back from holiday today. So back to it tomorrow try get this thing challenge put to bed 

11 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Great progress while I was away from FM! CL victory for Benfica is massive.  What’s next in the challenge? You have enough time?

I need three more league titles before I open up the next stage. I think the only chance I’ve got of making it. Is doing yearly updates 

3 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I need three more league titles before I open up the next stage. I think the only chance I’ve got of making it. Is doing yearly updates 

Yeah thats what I ended up with in many career updates here. Sometimes its just too much to go into detail and then you resort to those seasonal updates (which I think is totally fine :), hope to read more here from you soon ) 

19 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

I think that you need to have a stadium named after you as well! :lol:

Every preseason in Austria, Schalke04 has been playing matches in Ernst Happel Stadion.

I’ll try my best!

18 hours ago, Carambau said:

Yeah thats what I ended up with in many career updates here. Sometimes its just too much to go into detail and then you resort to those seasonal updates (which I think is totally fine :), hope to read more here from you soon ) 

I’m 100% resorting to it. Even trying to get back into the flow of playing yesterday was tricky. I lost two of the the first 5 games, so getting back into writing I think I’ll do year by year. I need to try and get this thing out to bed.

17 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Glad to see you back!

Thanks man. I’ll need to try catch up on everyone else’s updates as well. Feel like I’ve missed a lot! 

• 2 weeks later...

Season is finally over the line. A full year of update will probably take me a couple of days to put together.

With the news that saves carry over into FM24 and the fact I have a hectic work schedule commencing at the start of December for 4-6 months. The challenge is very much Alive as I will just carry it over until December when I leave for Africa. 

Header.thumb.png.73d3f77dd8c10e816900011488b46982.png

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall......

My first attempt at a full season write up, so bare with me as I try to find the perfect balance of capturing the right amount of info without going overboard. My aim is to simplify the update to help increase speed of play while not making the update bland.

Transfers 2030/31

Lucas the young brazilian wonderkid was the biggest departure of the summer, sold for a whopping 45 million euros with potential of 72 million in total. A huge profit considering he was bought for 1.5 million the previous year, he was outstanding and i can see why Arsenal UCL runner up have moved for him. He wouldn't need replacing with Simon Diallo returning from a loan spell the sale is covered.

Daniel Martinez left for 14.5 million profit, Ronaldo Leites left after falling out with Franz about an improved contract, he was sold for 16 million euros worth of profit. Originally he was covered but Granelli damaged his cruciate ligaments and Franca was still recovering from his broken leg.

Miggy Silvério arrived for 37 million euros from Vitroia Gumaires, he hadn't been prolific there by any stretch and was under performing. Franz liked the look of him and felt he was being deployed wrong and would make a great false 9. Franz was vindicated as he scored 32 goals and topped the clubs scoring charts, hitting hat tricks on both his league and champions league debuts, winning young player of the year in the league and Uefa young player.

7d2a94d447eda4621396add6ac6f034b.jpg

Franz identified both wingback slots as areas for vast improvement, the big summer signing was Tino Livramento from relegated Southampton activating his relegation release clause of 40 million. An elite full back he would prove to be a bargain at that price, gaining recognition as the signing of the season. He set up 17 goals, scored 2 and had an average rating of 7.31, rarely did the Englishmen not perform.

Raffaele Donati was added to the left side, the Italian cost half of what Tino did. While it took him a little longer to settle in Lisbon he still supplied 9 goals and scored one himself, he averaged 7.09. He broke into the national side being capped 7 times, he is now attracting the attention of Real Madrid.

149fdd91a9ba9f07693976606f02a80b.png

Over the full season we turned a 10 million profit, there were a few younger signings most loaned back out, which I am sure we will hear more of in the future. The last big sale came in January as Walter Caceres fell out with Franz about not being played RB even though he was playing RWB and actually pushing Tino. He was sold to Genk for 23 million, a nice 16 million profit.

Again Franz seemed to be flawless in the market, turning a profit, getting the best out of an under performing Miggy and helping him realize his potential. Added real quality in Tino, who helped take the right hand side of attack to the next level.

Youth Graduates

Benfica is a team renowned for its player development. Franz is already bearing fruits from the promotion of Jose Dias to the first team, twice under 21 player of the year. Palmeirim is of course another who achieved godlike status last year after his champions league final heroics, which led to him becoming European Golden Boy. He added another 20 goals this season as well.

This is something Franz is keen to continue progressing, and the two players this year would be Ruben Caramajo, who perhaps at 20 years old felt his time had passed him by, he finished the season with 16 direct goal involvements. The fact he managed to break in and make any sort of effect with the array of talent in the forward positions is quite the statement. Is he world class no, there will be a doubt about it but he's doubled in price and looks like someone who can outperform what's expected of him.

Olívio Durâo looks like another one to follow in the footsteps of Dias and Palmeirim. Already the youngest super cup player, the young defensive mid already boasts some tremendous qualities. You can see his progression as well from this 15 year old to what he is now.

He finished the season with 17 appearances (12 as sub) he scored his first goal for the club, and set up three goals while averaging 7.07. at 17 it's quite the breakthrough into what is one of the most successful Benfica teams ever, i think next season he will play a huge part. He has some real competition for places with Lavia, Rodrigues but I feel like he has the ability to push them both.

With the squads covered lets get right into the season.

Season 2030/31

d5707626c4a655dd83d6ae3b476e46fc.png

Its safe to say this Benfica team led by Franz Scheimer will go down as one of the greatest Benfica teams of all time. They regained the Liga Portugal, retained the Allianz cup, Taca de Placard and the Champions League. Had they won the Super cup and Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira it would have been a clean sweep.

Normally i like to build up to these moments but lets work backwards this time.

d7f8db19a5686e99e1801f4a65183048.png

The traditional curtain raiser went to Braga, who continued to inflict pain on Franz's Benfica side. They would again start the season in great form, with a superb strikeforce they looked to be up for the challenge again and winning the Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira sent them on their way.

AC Milan took home the UEFA Super Cup, in an incredible encounter. Ironically they beat us in a penalty shootout, something that provided us a feeling that we didn't want to feel for the rest of the season and would put us in good stead for future moments from 12 yards.

Allianz Cup (League Cup)

e57a84f62362b4dc985a494f72967f44.png

The league cup was the first of a famous four trophies to land, and land in some style with a 9-0 demolition of Portimonense. For the second year running Portimonense fell short at the last hurdle, Benfica on the other hand made it three Allianz cups in a row.

Liga Portugal

ce16a73aa8d77d7aa3c75954b41f7a44.png

The red half of Lisbon rejoiced as the league title return to the Estadio da Luz. Winning it by four points from the classic rival Porto. If Benfica's historic season wasn't bad enough for the green half of Lisbon they fell to sixth place, and by some distance and were lucky in the end. It signals further decline after four fourth place finishes.

Famalicao were the surprise package and actually led the way in the beginning as did Vitoria de Guimaraes, each of them inflicted defeats on us, as did Porto and Gil Vicente. In-fact the early season was anything but plain sailing, we didn't actually hit the front until the turn of the year, with Braga leading the way into the new year, only just.

The title race would go right down to the wire, with Porto and Benfica neck and neck with five games to play. Porto did flop instantly losing 3-1 at Vitoria de Guimaraes, to give Benfica the upperhand. However a 2-0 defeat at home to Famalicao stirred the pot once more and brought us back down to earth.

Porto drew two of their last three games, but the pivotal moment came in the Lisbon derby on the second last game of the season. Benfica were 1-0 up before being reduced to ten men for a shocking two foot tackle from Lavia. Sporting equalized six minutes later. They went for broke and it played into Franz hands, as we broke in behind them three times to take a massive leap towards the title.

An emphatic  8-1 final day victory ensured the party got under way in style. This is my favorite title across the whole save. We faced some early adversity, we had some surprise challengers and a full blown title race against an historic rival, with  our local derby playing a huge part in the end.

UEFA Champions League

c36ee055f0ae779bd14e8d8e7bec6bc7.png

Retaining the Champions League is right up there with my biggest achievements. Ironically the last time Benfica won it and the curse was cast they also retained it, 1961/61 & 1961/62.

No one can have any complaints about our route to the trophy taking out some huge scalps. Starting by qualifying in 5th place from our league phase. Only losing away from home to Inter Milan and Bayer Leverkusen.

Onto the knockout round and we were fortunate to leave Munich with only a 1 goal deficit to turn around, thanks to the heroics of Nikolay Kosev who at the time was on a run of record equaling 9 clean sheets in a row, having displaced Dennis Siemen with his incredible form.

The second leg was a whole different story, Devastating Bayern Munich the German powerhouse 6-1 is simply breathtaking stuff. Such a ruthless and clinical performance, scoring six goals from an XG of 1.96, In the early stages Bayern looked up to the task, bouncing back from our early goal, but once we got ahead again there was no stopping us. Nagelsman himself knew they deserved nothing.

Pep and Manchester City were up next. The first leg was all Benfica, how the game finished only 1-0 is beyond me. We dominated the game and restricted Man City to only four shots none of which hit the target. Hidalgo eventually found the back of the net, Haaland had one ruled out but at this stage i felt hard done by and that we should be going to the Etihad with a more comfortable lead.

4b57c9532740db6004a3f59db45aa8fa.png

The second leg was a very even match, both teams had their moments and both found the back of the net. Badiashile was at the heart of two goals, his slack pass cost City but he made up for it to take the match to pens. Tezgel missed and we produced perfect penalties to send us into the semi final.

Not only were we up against a great side and arguably the greatest manager of all time, the ref was very extremely harsh on us as we tacked up 30 fouls.

e694aef68f3b9419efd0d241335c2ed3.png

A famous 3-1 in the Santiago Bernabéu. 1-0 down after a minute i thought the wheels were about to fall off, but Fonseca made up fro his early mistake by heading home a corner to level 6 minutes later.

The game was even stevens until the second half when substitutes Tino Livarmento, Carlos Rodriguez and Rui Mendes made all the difference. The squad depth proved absolutely crucial especially fighting on four fronts.

The second leg finished 1-0 as we just did enough to seal our place in the final. Not our greatest performance but beating over Real Madrid the kings of Europe over two legs is always impressive.

3f7324ef7cd391933944a36cc076ac0c.png

We took on the eight time winners Liverpool in the final, who had lifted the trophy the previous two finals before we won last year. Knowing their European pedigree it was always going to be a tough match. The teams host some of the best names in European football, a standout mention to Antonio Silva who had started his Career in Lisbon and would now be up against his boyhood club.

Liverpool took the lead after some good work from Declan Rice down the left then picking out an unmarked Nico on the edge of the box, he finished well and Franz blew his top. Such an avoidable goal. We hit the post twice on 20 & 27 minutes both through Giovane and I feared the worst.

However It was 1-1 before the half ended, that man Palmeirim was at it again scoring in another European Cup final. Latching on to a sloppy pass in the Liverpool box as the press pays off. The second half both sides looked like they didn't want to lose, in extra time Benfica looked the more likely of the two to win. In the end it would be settled from 12 yards.

Dennis Seimen was the hero, saving Liverpool's first penalty from Kessie and Declan Rice's who was fourth. Three perfect penalties from Benfica meant if Franca scored we would remain champions of Europe, he did just that. I spoke about the penalties in the UEFA super cup standing us in good stead to not lose again and City and Liverpool have paid the price.

c8ea5088d91ffab07ac8863570e5becf.gif

Taça de Portugal (FA Cup)

2f87bbea229b2cd79519ba8b9eb5b90f.png

The quadruple was sealed on the final day of the season, running out 3-1 winners in a Clasico final against Porto. Unlike the league cup we had to beat both the big clubs on our run in, smashing our local rivals Sporting CP 5-0 a real highlight on the road to the final.

Famalicao gave us a scare taking us to extra time, we eventually ran out 4-2 winners. The recently relegated Estrela da Amadora SAD were brushed aside in the two legged semi final to set up the Clasico final. We now reign supreme not only in Europe this year but also domestically.

Summary

With the release of FM24 I now plan to carry the save over into that and complete this challenge. In order to complete stage four we need one more league title with Benfica! I will see you on FM24 for hopefully just that!

• SixPointer changed the title to [FM23] & [FM24] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again
15 hours ago, Lestri said:

Excited to see how it goes in FM24!

I’ve spent today sorting all the graphic packs and things like that so should be ready to go tomorrow.

14 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Congratulations on your Victory!

What other parts of the Challenge do you have to finish?

Thanks dude 

We have one more league title in Portugal. Then that opens stage five. Which consists of two league titles, one domestic cup and champions league. This is with a team in a 4+ star league. 

14 hours ago, Carambau said:

Thats how you do it, mate :) Congratulations!

14 hours ago, warlock said:

Magnificent season :applause:

Thanks guys! It’s all come together nicely in the end after a shaky start!

8 hours ago, 13th Man said:

Wow!  Wow wow wow!

Repeat in the CL with Benfica.  It's a good side with resources, but still.  Agree that it has to be one of the biggest achievements.

It’s definitely up there, especially when you consider the teams in the knock out phase. Bayern, City, Real and Liverpool. Yes we needed penalties twice but I still think we bossed those games.

Think next season on the FM24 engine will be a test as not sure how there 343 will play out but am looking forward to the challenge 

15 hours ago, rich ruzzian said:

What a season. Interesting to see where you do end up when it is time for stage 5. 

Thanks man! Am halfway through the season now. It would take a serious collapse in form to not win the league and open stage five! 

I have to say. Am really enjoying FM 24.

The new graphics are brilliant. Players move a lot more like they should, goals look more like goals should 🤣.

I have only dipped my toes into the new set piece creator and as you would imagine my passion for this area I’m over the moon. I was worried my old corner ideas wouldn’t carry over it’s safe to say they do.

As for selling players thank god they have finally done work on it. Much better.

I haven’t played with any new roles having carried my save over I stuck with my old system. But what is clear is my wing backs act so much better and as for my VOLANTE it works exactly as I want!

I do however feel am exploiting the AI managers with my front three and two AF’s as most now use inverted full backs or wing backs. Which leaves me a huge amount of space for AF in the transition phase. 

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I have to say. Am really enjoying FM 24.

The new graphics are brilliant. Players move a lot more like they should, goals look more like goals should 🤣.

I have only dipped my toes into the new set piece creator and as you would imagine my passion for this area I’m over the moon. I was worried my old corner ideas wouldn’t carry over it’s safe to say they do.

As for selling players thank god they have finally done work on it. Much better.

I haven’t played with any new roles having carried my save over I stuck with my old system. But what is clear is my wing backs act so much better and as for my VOLANTE it works exactly as I want!

I do however feel am exploiting the AI managers with my front three and two AF’s as most now use inverted full backs or wing backs. Which leaves me a huge amount of space for AF in the transition phase. 

Fantastic end to FM 2023 and looking forward to your start in FM 2024!  

On the new game, do you find yourself at a disadvantage if you don’t use inverted FB/WBs too? I’m hesitant to switch back to the traditional wing backs as I’m afraid that we will start to concede goals!

2 hours ago, DavidBeckham said:

Fantastic end to FM 2023 and looking forward to your start in FM 2024!  

On the new game, do you find yourself at a disadvantage if you don’t use inverted FB/WBs too? I’m hesitant to switch back to the traditional wing backs as I’m afraid that we will start to concede goals!

I use wing backs, but in the WB strata with a back three behind. So I can’t really comment on using the new roles. But I have no issues with the traditional ones. Infact there lethal for getting to the byline and getting cut backs. 

Season is finished will be starting the right up today.

First season in the FM24 match engine and I really can’t help but feel my tactical system is extremely overpowered.

I managed to play every game on key highlights, I only ever changed players and mentality throughout the season and i broke all sorts of records. Granted I have a great team but no greater than previous seasons on FM23 where it was much more hard fought and I had to be tactically aware. 

I’m wondering if those of us who focused so much on movement will be ‘overpowered’ with the FM24 improvements in these areas. I know I’m always trying to encourage certain movements and shapes through use of player traits with role combinations etc etc, so if the players are ‘smarter’ now it might be extra devastating?

Unless you’ve just put together a truly dominant team? 

6 minutes ago, 13th Man said:

I’m wondering if those of us who focused so much on movement will be ‘overpowered’ with the FM24 improvements in these areas. I know I’m always trying to encourage certain movements and shapes through use of player traits with role combinations etc etc, so if the players are ‘smarter’ now it might be extra devastating?

I really think you have hit the nail on the head. I have been trying to play positional play for may years now. Overloads and 1v1s with a limited match engine, now the match engine is capable of it perhaps it’s made it really overpowering.

A good example is the Volante role. The season previously you’re lucky if the players hit double figures between them. The two players who have rotated in that position have 25 goals between them. Along with 20 assists. The role now truly acts how I wanted it too and makes use of the space I create for it.

13 minutes ago, 13th Man said:

Makes me both want to switch over to FM24, and not at the same time. Especially as the VOL is a key role in my system…

I’m glad a did. Because I think they have really done well with it. When a leave Benfica for the next stage I will find out if it’s overpowered or a really good team.

The graphics are a lot better the way players move etc, and the set play creator is my favourite addition in years 

As someone who uses a 4-3-3 that becomes a 3-2-5 in attack I can confirm that it seems a bit overpowered. This particular setup with two IWBs and two Mezzalas on attack duty did however work very well and was just as strong on FM23 too.

42 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

As someone who uses a 4-3-3 that becomes a 3-2-5 in attack I can confirm that it seems a bit overpowered. This particular setup with two IWBs and two Mezzalas on attack duty did however work very well and was just as strong on FM23 too.

I think my flat front three with two AF’s just exploit the AI and there inverted roles. Catching them out of position in the transition. 

Good Luck! I hope you get a "Sleeping Giant" in one of those big leagues. Even though the thought of you at Barcelona or Bayern has it appeal just to see what kind of tactical wizardry you would do with unlimited budgets and really good players. Even though it would probably be a rerun of your Benefica years.

Congratulations! What a fantastic way to wrap up your time at Benfica.

The list of trophies is impressive but... back-to-back invincible seasons? That's miraculous, A testament to tactical nous, ultra-smart squad building and man management.

Well done, that man :thup:

Looking forward to the next chapter.

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Good Luck! I hope you get a "Sleeping Giant" in one of those big leagues. Even though the thought of you at Barcelona or Bayern has it appeal just to see what kind of tactical wizardry you would do with unlimited budgets and really good players. Even though it would probably be a rerun of your Benefica years.

Thanks man. I’ve consider a project but I can’t help but feel the realistic approach is a big hitter. Winning the UCL three times in a row I think it would be an elite club.

1 hour ago, Rikulec said:

What a season and what a transfer window. :applause:

Thanks bud. You can see how I felt it was overpowered though?

36 minutes ago, warlock said:

Congratulations! What a fantastic way to wrap up your time at Benfica.

The list of trophies is impressive but... back-to-back invincible seasons? That's miraculous, A testament to tactical nous, ultra-smart squad building and man management.

Well done, that man :thup:

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks dude! Yeah Benfica is definitely one of the most successful teams I’ve built. Granted they are elite in Portugal from the start. But three UCL is special. 

6 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks bud. You can see how I felt it was overpowered though?

I do. This seems to have been the case with FM for years, whenever a new role is introduced or the tactical module is generally reworked, the new stuff they put in is usually overpowered.

17 hours ago, 13th Man said:

@Rikulec I think 13th man makes a great point here.

fccf28716a9aa43059640a3b7135d242.png

I entered the managerial merry go round once again.

At the time of my resignation the Chelsea job had just become available. Massimo Allegri just won the league with Chelsea but moved to City to replace Pep. Chelsea saw Franz as the main man, but in truth it didn't really excite me. Pep And Massimo change places in the end.

If it was to be England the main attraction would be Man Utd, they still haven't won an EPL title since Alex Ferguson left. Ten Hag is still at the helm but has overseen three 10th place finishes, an 11th place finish and has never finished in the top 4. He did win the Europa League but I still can't believe he is in charge.

Another in England would be Newcastle, my favorite team having some family down there. They have yet to hit the heights under the new regime, it would be a nice task to take them to the next level. gino gattuso is in charge in the north east.

Rennes was another early option, PSG are totally dominant as you would expect but Rennes have been top three a few times and have a team with an abundance of talent. I went for an interview, but then Big Ange took my place in Lisbon and freed up the AC Milan job. This allowed Tuchel to take the Rennes job.

AC piqued my interest. They have won four of the last ten league titles, the last two Scudettos going their way. The big thing that drew me to them was they have not won the champions league since 2007. The only thing was I noticed their interest in Ten Hag and Gattuso, I would really have preferred Man United over anyone.

A host of national managers left or were sacked after the Euros, France, England, Italy and Holland all came calling. Knocking back the France job proved to be a masterstroke.

ba476e9b65eaff84b0e27c7508003efb.png

Zidane has handed in his notice and he is off to take charge of his national side. Zizou had left Real in 2024 to join Napoli where he won the 2026 Champions League. He then joined Arsenal in 2028 but was sacked in 2029 after a poor spell.

He rejoined Real Madrid in 2029, he won back to back doubles but left for France.
a66738e917f7e43bcb2dd336069a6884.png

The kings of Europe come calling, no surprise after back to back UEFA Champions League.

A few familiar faces meet me there, Simon Diallo has left Benfica and joined before i arrived and Rui Mendes who had left last season.

I'm out on the beer tonight so it will be monday before i get stuck right into the last stage of this journey.

Edited by SixPointer

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Galacticos For the Win! This should end up a ROFL stomp.

It makes sense in the end. Real or Barce or Man United we’re really the only true options.

While Real certainly isn’t a project they do have a few aging stars and of course the demand to win is greater than at any other club. Especially the UCL.

This should really give me a good chance to have the challenge wrapped up in the next 2/3 seasons. All going well that is…..