442 counter

• mikcheck changed the title to 442 counter

Nothing jumps out as incorrect. Perhaps you can be more adventurous on the RHS with the WB or RM.

The only other consideration is how fast you look to move the ball (extremely high tempo doesn't ensure you move the ball really fast, they will rush and make mistakes and play will break down if not good enough). Players will try and move the ball very quickly; add to this you have 'Counter' selected, your strikers could become isolated if your supporting players don't have the necessary attributes (Pace, Work Rate, Teamwork etc). I would simply go down one notch to 'Higher Tempo' and have a right-sided player push further up.

If this is your first time playing the system, I would remove PI's until you are sure you want them. Watch a few games and perhaps you will want your DLF staying wider or BBM moving into channels. Remember the DLF will move into the channel and the BBM will already roam around the pitch, supporting the play.

Good luck.

Edited by mss100

Thanks for your reply.

I've been playing with this tactic yeah. I noticed the the much higher tempo sometimes is too much for my players, but that is the style I want to implement, so I try to keep it, even though it leads to some mistakes.

Like you've said, I make sure that my supporting players have not only a reasonable work rate and teamwork, but also bravery. I find pace more important to the attacking roles and BBM.

Regarding a right side player push further up, you mean a attacking duty? Even though the WB is on support, he also has the trait to"get forward", so I think he still get far forward, and he really has to, to provide width on that side, becasue the WM sits narrower. Also I don't like too much to play with an attacking role like FB(a) or WB(a) as it tells the player to cross too much and I want to avoid that. I also want to keep the WM on a support duty so he can be a better supply to the PF

One thin that I've been noticing though is that the left side sometimes gets too congestes, with the IW(a), BBM(s) (he also has the traits to "get forward" and "gets into the area", so he is really aggressive) and DLF(s) compete for the same space in some situations. That's why I have now the IW(a) with "stay wider" PI. I could switch the strikers roles, but then the PF(a) would be on the same side as the IW(a) and that would bring problems too, as the IW needs space and that space would be limited with the PF on the same side.

I really like the 442 formations and I really hope I can make this work for this long term save, not only that tactic but the playing style I want to implement.

Edited by mikcheck

18 horas atrás, mss100 disse:

How is the counter-attacking play? Is the defensive shape good?

Counter attacking play is really good sometimes, but with a very high tempo passes are misplaced sometimes and good scoring chances turn into dangerous chances by the opposition.

Defensive shape could be better I think, but my defenders are not the best in the world too. But yes, I guess I concede more than I'd like.

If you are concerned about defensive solidity perhaps keep the BBM (his running from deep is valuable in such a system) and offset his aggressive nature with a IWB-D on the left side. Would provide a better rest defence - you would still have enough threat going forward.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04.11.2022 at 14:01, mikcheck said:

Hello,

Wonder if you see anything wrong with this tactic, to play it on counter attack style?

PI's:

WB(s) - Stay Wider

BBM - Move into Channels

WM(s) - Sit Narrower

DLF(s) - Stay wider

4433.png.70763f6fb34458bf2a5dc03fc0db8c16.png

I don't think you need that fast tempo for counterattacks they automatically happen when your players feel it's the right time to strike. I'd check the transitions to attack whether my advanced striker gets immediate support from all parts of the area and think about dropping CMs to DM strata to benefit from a penetrative Volante role and protect the golden zone(14) better.

Edited by frukox

56 minutos atrás, frukox disse:

I don't think you need that fast tempo for counterattacks they automatically happen when your players feel it's the right time to strike. I'd check the transitions to attack whether my advanced striker gets immediate support from all parts of the area and think about dropping CMs to DM strata to benefit from a penetrative Volante role and protect the golden zone(14) better.

Playing at that tempo is something I'm willing to keep because that's the playing style that I want to implement in my team by also trying to get players with good work rate, decisions and some speed (mainly the ones with attacking roles)

I understand what you say about the DM's but I feel that we defend too deep for my liking with that system (I'm still playing my 2021 version save, so I don't know exactly how the double DM work in FM23) . I know that I already defend deep by having lowe LOE with a balanced mentality and I feel that it's not that bad, even though I'm getting mixed results but when the attacking works, it's really nice to see my fast attacking players exploding with fast counters.

I think the TIs are pretty self explanatory. U want to hit teams quickly, come back defend quickly and do a low block with aggressive pressing.

To play counter attacking football, normally I want both strikers on attacking duty, DLFA and AFA or TMA and Poacher, or pressing forward. They are all very good roles. For a counter attacking style I would not use duty like DLFS or F9.

The problem on the right hand side is no one is actually attacking the space, try changing WMs to WMa or Wa to see if it gives u better transition