Defenders act like morons

Is there a bigger emphasis on defenders mental attribute this year? I’m running a 442 diamond formation, with burnley and got them promoted. Revamped with younger centerbacks, and now in premier league I notice more than the season in championship that every game any goal we concede is either a stupid error or foul leading to pentalty or set piece. Like comically high level or individual errors. Is this a bug or is Mason holgate just that bad in game as in real life 

1 hour ago, mc22 said:

is this a bug

Who knows, without at least some detail of your tactics (this is the tactics discussion forum). Since you're newly-promoted to the PL you'd have to expect that your defenders are facing much better opponents. If you've recruited 'younger centrebacks' they're unlikely to be of PL quality just yet. And I seem to remember a major footballing expert saying all goals are the result of a defensive error. TL,DR - probably not a bug, just a reflection of reality.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2022 at 19:58, warlock said:

Who knows, without at least some detail of your tactics (this is the tactics discussion forum). Since you're newly-promoted to the PL you'd have to expect that your defenders are facing much better opponents. If you've recruited 'younger centrebacks' they're unlikely to be of PL quality just yet. And I seem to remember a major footballing expert saying all goals are the result of a defensive error. TL,DR - probably not a bug, just a reflection of reality.

Admittedly my post was half right and half my fault, on one hand as an unfortunate Everton fan in real life I will always be drawn to noticing when Holgate makes an error. On the other hand, I have an obsession with the Red Bull school of football, and trying to introduce that style to a newly promoted team, in a beta save, on a new engine with burnley players was not the right way to learn fm23 the first time around. Sorry for the negative post everyone 

32 minutes ago, mc22 said:

Sorry for the negative post everyone

Don't worry - FM frustration is universal. As much as I try to be positive about it, even I'm struggling with players blazing shots over the bar from all over the pitch :lol:

5 hours ago, warlock said:

Don't worry - FM frustration is universal. As much as I try to be positive about it, even I'm struggling with players blazing shots over the bar from all over the pitch :lol:

In my new save I am noticing this quite a lot, somehow my defenders are much better, but now it’s the offense that frustrates me… other than that it’s a great time 

On 22/11/2022 at 16:44, warlock said:

As much as I try to be positive about it, even I'm struggling with players blazing shots over the bar from all over the pitch

I am finding this is especially true with shots from about 20/25 yards...it feels like that year when every 1 on 1 highlight was obviously going to be a save.

No you're not alone. I play touch for switch and my defenders rarely move against long balls or through balls until opponents have the ball. Not only stupid errors, intense pressing rarely works, they're like cats stealthily preying their foods while playing against similar reputation team that's using high pressing, their players will stick like glue and my players are always running out passing options, even get intercepted easily. I posted these issues n subforum and no mods reacted for almost a week. Triggered by it, I insulted them so they'd notice and got a warning instead. Funny. 

Pretty much it's a big flaw. I'd say managers reacted to our tactics is bulls**t. I believe since they worked on multiple versions, they just tweaked our AI so opponents look more stronger now, voila, game's harder as they expected. There's no other explanation for it.

I haven't played too much but I'm currently trying to get a 3 at the back defense working and noticed something curious. There is often a situation where my left CB actually seems to be in a good position to deal with a long pass by my opponents but all of a sudden decides to wander off in another direction or simply takes a nap for a second or two only to start running again when it's way too late. Apart from that defenders love to head the ball towards my opponents, it seems like a good third of all chances against me come from a misplaced header of one of my CBs.

On 24/11/2022 at 03:36, mafie_99 said:

I am finding this is especially true with shots from about 20/25 yards...it feels like that year when every 1 on 1 highlight was obviously going to be a save.

It is at least better than 1v1s because generally player do miss from that range, just normally wide, not over the bar