[FM23] The Royal League (Expanded)

Back for a 12th year, the original expansion of the long extinct Royal League.

The Royal League was an annual Scandinavian football tournament held three times between teams from the three Scandinavian monarchies (Denmark, Sweden, and Norway) starting after the end of the regular domestic seasons of Norway and Sweden. The four best-placed teams in the football leagues of Denmark, Sweden and Norway participated in the tournament.

This further expanded version incorporates the top two teams from Iceland and Finland with the top four from Denmark, Sweden and Norway seeded to split the nations across groups.

Finances are at moderate levels.

Full history added from each FM version since FM2012 for immersion and continuity.

Awards updated

Steam Link: [FM23] The Royal League (Expanded)

image.jpeg.bc59d327ec0511981e9ee9efbb9991ef.jpeg

Edited by CoffeeFueledCurmudgeon

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if this is unavoidable but Royal League has both:

1. Removed my players' winter break — usually they would leave after the cup match in mid-November and not come back until start-February but the RL group stage matches every three-ish weeks has prevented that

2. Compressed the matches in the spring — because the Danish league splits in mid-March, all of the first 22 matches have to be played before then and because of the Royal League, all of my five Superliga spring pre-split matches have been compressed into 10 days

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 16.41.35.png

1 minute ago, dws said:

I don't know if this is unavoidable but Royal League has both:

1. Removed my players' winter break — usually they would leave after the cup match in mid-November and not come back until start-February but the RL group stage matches every three-ish weeks has prevented that

2. Compressed the matches in the spring — because the Danish league splits in mid-March, all of the first 22 matches have to be played before then and because of the Royal League, all of my five Superliga spring pre-split matches have been compressed into 10 days

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 16.41.35.png

BTW I don't expect the World Cup to have much impact because the Danish league has the winter break anyway and the Royal League was not played during the World Cup

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/12/2022 at 15:49, dws said:

BTW I don't expect the World Cup to have much impact because the Danish league has the winter break anyway and the Royal League was not played during the World Cup

I'll have a look at this for next patch. I've not played in every league. The issue here is loading each of those leagues and exporting the schedule to manually add dates which will take time I don't have as yet.

Previous versions stopped for this World Cup and people asked me to not have it stop, so it is what it is, I can't please everyone.

I will look at it for the next patch and attempt to manually dictate dates but the editor still has a mind of it's own.

Unsolicited advice I know but If you just use the later Champions League dates then teams would have to fit that in their schedule anyway (in the event of going deep in CL). In the unlikely event they do go deep in Europe, Royal League would likely reschedule games for a week or two later (depending on fixture priority)