Youth Players & Training

I am wondering if there is a way to have a player(s) from the youth squad train with the main team, yet remain on the youth squad roster.  I have a couple of young players who are probably just talented enough to maybe make the main squad, but would probably benefit the most by training with them and still play matches with the youth team.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thank you for any advice.

2 minutes ago, psucolonel said:

I am wondering if there is a way to have a player(s) from the youth squad train with the main team, yet remain on the youth squad roster.  I have a couple of young players who are probably just talented enough to maybe make the main squad, but would probably benefit the most by training with them and still play matches with the youth team.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thank you for any advice.

Yes, you just put them in the first team squad but have them (with right click) play for the youth team.

Beware though, as they will play youth team games, they will miss many senior training sessions.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Beware though, as they will play youth team games, they will miss many senior training sessions.

It’s for this reason alone that I stopped having youth players train with the senior team. 

Strange, it won't seem to let me do this.  I have two youth teams' however...an academy team, and a Philadelphia II team.  I don't know if the issue is that I have not yet advanced at all in the game yet, or it's an MLS thing....just a little confused on this.  You might notice in the image below, the academy area is greyed out when I attempt this.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 1.22.25 AM.png

Edited by psucolonel

10 hours ago, psucolonel said:

Strange, it won't seem to let me do this.  I have two youth teams' however...an academy team, and a Philadelphia II team.  I don't know if the issue is that I have not yet advanced at all in the game yet, or it's an MLS thing....just a little confused on this.  You might notice in the image below, the academy area is greyed out when I attempt this.

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 1.22.25 AM.png

In the MLS, academy players are not technically yours to call up at will. They need to be signed to a pro contract. 

Ok that must be the issue…I had a feeling it was league related…thank you!!

so I suppose I could theoretically purchase the contract and do this…but I might as well wait as he is only 17.  I do have some other players that are 18 I may try it with though.

2 hours ago, psucolonel said:

Ok that must be the issue…I had a feeling it was league related…thank you!!

so I suppose I could theoretically purchase the contract and do this…but I might as well wait as he is only 17.  I do have some other players that are 18 I may try it with though.

I’m not all that familiar with youth development in the MLS, but I avoid mixing youth and senior players for many reasons. Often, the coaching is not suited for youth players, such as lower working with youth ratings. It can also limit their training sessions if you are making them available for youth games. 

Just now, jcp1417 said:

I’m not all that familiar with youth development in the MLS, but I avoid mixing youth and senior players for many reasons. Often, the coaching is not suited for youth players, such as lower working with youth ratings. It can also limit their training sessions if you are making them available for youth games. 

yes, good points.  Very often lower level coaches are rated much higher in youth development than other coaches may be.  I have to admit, that's what really love about FM...there are just so many variables and decisions to be made while considering many different factors.  

4 minutes ago, psucolonel said:

yes, good points.  Very often lower level coaches are rated much higher in youth development than other coaches may be.  I have to admit, that's what really love about FM...there are just so many variables and decisions to be made while considering many different factors.  

FM has truly become my sports sim of choice over the last couple years. Nothing beats drafting some 18 year old shortstop in the 20th round and seeing him turn into a hidden gem as he moves up your system, but FM has much more organizational strategy. It has it’s share of flaws, and I seriously dislike how non-transparent the development team is, but the game is unrivaled. 

6 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

FM has truly become my sports sim of choice over the last couple years. Nothing beats drafting some 18 year old shortstop in the 20th round and seeing him turn into a hidden gem as he moves up your system, but FM has much more organizational strategy. It has it’s share of flaws, and I seriously dislike how non-transparent the development team is, but the game is unrivaled. 

In all truthfulness (and I am a BETA team member) they aren't being that transparent over there anymore either.