idea to work: new Scotland pyramid (thoughts needed)

Kaiser_Tottenham

which is the   

2 members have voted

1. 1. which is the

• option 1: SPL (20 teams) + SCH (22 teams)
    • option 2: SPL (18 teams) + SCH (12 teams) + SL1 (12 teams)
    • option 3: SPL (14 teams) + SCH (14 teams) + SL1 (14 teams) with revamp of league cup

Hello

i think it's slightly boring in Scotland real pyramid..

• SPL : 12 teams :  1 relegation, 1 playoff relegation
  • SCH: 10 teams
  • SL1: 10 teams
  • SL2: 10 teams

i was thinking to make new one which could make it more interesting and funny:

Option 1 :

• SPL: 20 teams
  • SCH: 22 teams (with playoff similar to England championship)

option 2:

• SPL: 18 teams
  • SCH: 12 teams
  • SL1: 12 teams

option 3:

• SPL: 14 teams
  • SL1: 14 teams
  • SL2: 14 teams

the disadvantage for this option option 2 or 3, when a league is less than 18 teams, like 14 teams (means teams could play 26 for the league and it's a bit bad idea to see the league with 2 stages and some teams could play together four times.

i have a plan for league cup, to drop all football league teams ( 42 teams ) into small groups.. and it would be like:

• round1: knockout stage of 36 teams ( 18 winners)
  • round2 : Group stage for best 6 teams from SPL + 18 winners make 24 teams (4 groups SIX for each)
  • round3: only top two teams qualify in last 8

this would increase 6 games at least for top 6 games and those 18 winners from round 1. it would be more exciting to see group stage in local cups.

would be anyone interested in this project?

honestly, i know many prefere only like real structure, including myself never tried fantasy leagues, but once i would try to manage in Scotland, i find it is boring with very small leagues specially lower divisions :rolleyes:

best regards

Edited by Spurs_Q8

• Kaiser_Tottenham changed the title to idea to work: new Scotland pyramid (thoughts needed)

I mostly play in Scotland, and I welcome a little fantasy addition to the league structure. But I see the situation different t you. The reason the divisions were reduced in size was to counter boredom. In the top division, the same few sides contested the top and there were way too many meaningless midtable games in the latter part of the season. Smaller leagues and half-way splits, play-off possibilities made the season interesting for longer. The only real problem for me is too few promotion and relegation possibilities, and especially the bottleneck to get into the SPFL given the growing strength on non-league football.

You don't mention non-league football, which is a pity as it's my main interest. I'm waiting on the first lower league add-on to drop later today so I can manage in the North Caledonian or lower.

16 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I mostly play in Scotland, and I welcome a little fantasy addition to the league structure. But I see the situation different t you. The reason the divisions were reduced in size was to counter boredom. In the top division, the same few sides contested the top and there were way too many meaningless midtable games in the latter part of the season. Smaller leagues and half-way splits, play-off possibilities made the season interesting for longer. The only real problem for me is too few promotion and relegation possibilities, and especially the bottleneck to get into the SPFL given the growing strength on non-league football.

You don't mention non-league football, which is a pity as it's my main interest. I'm waiting on the first lower league add-on to drop later today so I can manage in the North Caledonian or lower.

I see your point, i know the reason behind SFA was to see Celtic vs Rangers play 4 games increase income and TV rights.. and the limit of European spots for Scotland doesn't encourage the battle of 4th or 5th placed teams with more below teams.

but look at it in different picture, when i look the Scotland Primer division table over the years, you might notice big gabs between some positions, the reason behind this, the more of a few teams, and it's matches against each other, sometimes it could lead to big gaps if there are differences of quality, because they are a few.

when u give a chance for extra teams to be involved, over the time you can see teams develop over the years and close the gap.. a lot of tiers with too small leagues doesn't help these small clubs to build their squad and stability. Scotland were one of good nations before 2000 & reached to WC98, but now honestly they are in one of the worst era and become so behind despite they have one of the best derbies in the world. I remember at the start of 2000+ Celtic & Rangers were better than Tottenham, and most of EPL teams, now they are struggling with obscure clubs consistently against lower level of countries in Europe both CL & Europa League in recent years, that's why honestly they need to change.

as for lower league, honestly not experienced enough to deal with a change for cups. as some teams shouldn't be involved in earlier rounds and once created lower leagues, u have to be fully pro. with editor to make the cups.

They could even get 6 Old Firm games. Play each other only twice before the split, and then play the other 5 teams in your half of the table twice more (up to 32 games).

Then one further split into three groups overall, and play your three groupmates twice again to get to 38. Middle group would have to take two teams from the bottom of the previous upper group, and two teams from the top of the lower one. Maybe would have to halve/reset points here

I've been doing this (Sometimes for my personal use) for a few years

All 42 get spilt in 14 team divisions

- Premier (38 Matches) - Play each other 2 times & the Split occurs and there is a further 12 matches

- Division 1 & 2 (39 Matches) - 3 times each

- Highland & Lowland Leagues (18 Teams)

- Tiers down are all Northern (Feeds into Highland), Western & Eastern (Both feed into the Lowlands League) Last year it went down to Tier 10 

Scottish Cup (All teams would take part from Tier 10 upwards, with the teams coming in when needed. Premier will come into the last 64) 

League Cup (Goes back to the knockout format, Have all European Teams enter the last 32) First Round will be 2 legs 

Challenge Cup (All 28 Lower League clubs will be in with all Highland & Lowland League sides, No Ireland, Wales teams etc, Straight Knockout) 

Highland Cup (All Highland/Northern League sides are involved)

Lowland Cup (All Lowland, Western & Eastern sides are involved)

Scottish Junior Cup (All teams outside the 42 SPL sides are involved with the final at Hampden Park and televised) 

Could add a couple of other cups as well 

Edited by oche balboa