Is there a way to get Inv Wingers to cross from byline?

When playing IW I often see them get into great positions just inside the box but instead of putting it across goal they turn back and play it to the edge of the box (or pass to a player even further away from goal) or they shoot from a ridiculous angle. 

I know the IW role is to cut back but IRL a player wouldn't waste such obviously easy crosses. It's frustrating seeing such good chances passed up regularly.

I've tried using Wingers but found they don't get into the right positions. Same for AP. I've tried 'cross more often' and 'shot less often'. None of these changes it.

Normally I have them with Attack (as they don't seem to get into the right positions on support).

This even happens when the player is Either footed (or they're a right footed player, playing on the right as an IW). So it isn't foot preference. 

Does anyone know the best setup for wide AM that brings them narrow and high but makes them fire crosses across goal? 

For info normally play

SK(s) 

WB(s or a), BPD, CD, WB (d or s) 

HB or DM

DLP or RPM, BBM

IW(a)                    IW(a or s) 

AF or DLF(a) 

I use 'press more often' and high line. Normally with Counter Press but not always Counter. 

Shorter passing, more urgent/quicker. 

Low crosses. Work into box.

Normally no over/under lapping but sometimes experiment with them.

Have you looked at note the positions of players in the box who you would expect to receive these cut backs? Could be that your striker is marked meaning the pass isn't on, so the ball goes back to a player who is in space.

Perhaps consider changing one of the IW to an IF, or the BBM to a CM on attack so that you have another body in the box and not leaving the striker so easily marked.

I personally have not noticed this as being an issue in my game, so I don't think it's a match engine issue.

32 minutes ago, Aandy said:

Have you looked at note the positions of players in the box who you would expect to receive these cut backs? Could be that your striker is marked meaning the pass isn't on, so the ball goes back to a player who is in space.

Perhaps consider changing one of the IW to an IF, or the BBM to a CM on attack so that you have another body in the box and not leaving the striker so easily marked.

I personally have not noticed this as being an issue in my game, so I don't think it's a match engine issue.

There are normally are players well placed, or the risk of the defenders scoring an OG is worth putting it in. 

I don't think it's an ME issue either, not  saying that. I just don't know what setup will get the result I want, which is for my players to fire the ball across goal when they're in that position. 

I'll try the role changes suggested and taking off 'work into the box' to see if it helps. 

Thanks for the replies

I can confirm that it happens even without using WBITB. 

Some things just don't make sense. Certain roles have instructions that you cannot select, for whatever reasons. Also certain roles are just hardcoded to behave in a certain way. 

It is a ME issue probably, but I'd also guess that players that have a higher Teamwork attribute would be more willing to cross the ball, rather than shoot.

I’ve had this issue as well. Ideally I want my IW to put a cross in from the byline when it’s the better option. I’ve tried playing a right footed player on the right, turning off WBITB, higher tempo etc. Nothing works. Every time they will cut back onto their left foot once they hit the byline. 

The only thing that has worked for me is using the Winger role with cut inside trait. Which to be fair, works very well.