Question about Youth Development - Under 18s (Bad development)

So i've been noticing barely any improvement in my U18's squad. In my example below i've used players that where 5* prospects and have been in the U18's for 1,5 years. 

i feel like i'm doing the right thing for development. i particularly choose PSV to also control the reserve team in Keuken Divise and promote U18's once they're ready for the challenge. However they never seem to reach that point. The exisiting players that are 18+ (in reserve + first team) are developing at a normal rate. Has the u18 development just been ''nerfed'' a lot? 

Anyone else experiencing the same? This save was started during beta. 

Alfred Sion.png

Leo De Waard.png

TrainingCoaches.png

This is worth raising in the bug tracker. Youth development was slowed significantly in FM22 but you should still see improvements from players over the course of the year. That said, just because they are 5 star youth prospects shouldn't mean they develop automatically. The two players you have shown have balanced and fairly sporting personalities, which aren't great indicators of players who will grow quickly. Injuries will also effect development if they have had any serious ones.

7 hours ago, TheAwesomeGem said:

FM 22 nerfed early growth for youth players. Honestly even in FM 23, I wish player development was a bit more faster.  I believe it could also be related to this bug -> 

That is more an issue of AI not playing youngsters and not giving them enough game time.

This problem only affects the youth team and under 18 players, i would say after 18 they improve at a more normal rate. At least all the positions other than fullbacks/wingbacks. 

Seeing it from a real life perspective the development in physical (which is also showed in my example) makes sense, however i would expect them to grow more considering the facilities and staff i have. Also would expect the technical attributes to grow more.  the mentals i would expect to grow at a later stage. 

My coaches (first team special roles) are also training reserve team + under 18s. Could that affect the training? Should staff only be tasked with the team they're hired for? 

It could also be that the potential of my example just have really bad PA, and that's why it's little-to-none improvement, hard to tell without using editor. However the scout report says that they can improve a lot. 

After 18 players improve more from match experience than training, so that might explain the improvement. I don't know how CA growth works exactly under the hood, it might be that gaining CA from match experience is easier than match experience from training.

4 minutes ago, Stabæk said:

My coaches (first team special roles) are also training reserve team + under 18s. Could that affect the training? Should staff only be tasked with the team they're hired for? 

It could also be that the potential of my example just have really bad PA, and that's why it's little-to-none improvement, hard to tell without using editor. However the scout report says that they can improve a lot. 

I think it would only be a problem if their training workload is heavy.

If their PA was really bad, I would imagine that your coaching reports would say that. Star ratings are not exact and are occasionally misleading but they are not designed to be wildly wrong to that extent.

It's hard to say either way if you've not established whether they have the PA to be able to improve their CA. They may not have the potential the coaches think they do. Coaches IRL and in-game will judge a player based on his ability for his age.

You've shown only 2 examples and both did improve, though not that much. Also worth noting that 1 player is only 16, so there's a lot of time still to improve and I realise that's making the 17 year old sound old!

Check the workload of your coaches, for sure as that could have an effect.

The workload is light to medium across all teams, but i just had a ''light-bulb moment'' based on your feedback. I though workload was affected by the amount of players in your team + whatever's on the agenda during training session. 

But maybe the reason why they have high workload is because they're training three different teams? if so this is a game changer for me after playing FM for 15+ years :P 

In my example, yes they're still young, but they've also been training at top facilities for 15 months. They're personalities aren't the best either, so i guess I'll need to have an comparison to one with a good personality(if my HOY can manage to bring some in...)  

A change i would like to see is that staff(manager + coaches) in the under 18s affect the players personalities the same way Squad personalities affect players when they're reach the senior team. From what i know personalities on coaches other than HOY have no effect. 

6 minutes ago, Stabæk said:

A change i would like to see is that staff(manager + coaches) in the under 18s affect the players personalities the same way Squad personalities affect players when they're reach the senior team. From what i know personalities on coaches other than HOY have no effect. 

Mentoring was also nerfed in FM22 and I definitely think a gap has been left for players personalities to be improved, especially at under 18 level.