FM23 - 3 ATB cover role

Hi everyone. Quick question before I think about raising a bug report. 

I’m running a 3 at the back formation with the central defender being on cover duty. However I’m finding him often is out of position pushed up (like a stopper) when I thought he would sit deeper as he is on cover duty. 

Am I missing something? In previous FMs I used the same set up and the cover defender would sit a bit deeper rather than challenging the striker for balls. 

I could switch to all 3 on defend but that feels a bit too static for me, especially when my keeper isn’t the best sweeper style keeper. 

Defensive lines are a real issue I'm finding. I had the same issue with cover, in fact I had all three CB set to close down less and team instruction press less, but they still went all over the shop. Haven't had any luck with the two new team defense options either. I had to give up and move to a four at the back

I just spotted something which might explain it in my match right now. My teamare set up as 5-3-2 with 2 wingbacks on support and 3 no nonsense centrebacks with the middle on cover and  the outer ones on defend. The centre backs (28, 4, 3) should from a defensive line around the half way line but No 3 has pushed up. Our DM is also pretty far forward so if this ball was to go long Bath (in white) would have 2 players (7 + 9) vs my 2 centre backs. My thinking is that my No 3 should be back around the halfway line. I understand that he might have broken forwards to intercept but he hasnt, he went forward with the rest of my team. It appears that something doesnt seem to be working here. No 3 doesnt have any player traits which would effect him getting forwards either.

EDIT: Of course this could be because my defenders arent great - not a fault of the match engine.

image.thumb.png.3a03a506a3ee097028fdafc85305fed2.png

Edited by Slippy_