Changing roles to suit players in a pre-made tactic?

Lets say Im using a pre-made tactic made by some other person. Now if I change the player roles to best suit the player in a particular position, what effect would it have? For example, the tactic has a DM- Roaming Playmaker but my DM has 4 stars as a Defensive Midfielder, and only 2 stars as Roaming Playmaker. If I change the role to Defensive Midfielder, will that be better or will the tactic not be as effective? Thanks!

When you create a tactic, you choose the team instructions and the roles and duties to create the kind of tactic you want. The roles and duties help you generate that kind of movement on and off the ball. To give you an example.

If the tactic had a PF(S) and you changed it to an AF that is a big change to the dynamics of the tactic. Now you have taken a role that would have generally stayed in a central area and have opted to go for one that has a lot more movement down to the channels too. Or say you changed a role  from a CM(A) to a MEZ(A), both roles play very differently. 

In general when someone creates a tactic they are either after specific movement patterns or sometimes they could be using generic roles like a CM because they want to fill that position with a specific type of player. If I used a midfielder like Kevin De B there he would play very differently than Rodrigo De Paul, because they both have different attribute sets and traits. 

To answer it will only make it more effective if you know what the roles do and how they play out with different attributes/traits. And sometimes even how roles can combine with other roles.