How to keep this Promise?

Has anyone seen this promise before and how to actually keep it?

He wanted to join Chelsea and didnt let him. He then kicked off and was unhappy/complaining. I then tried to offer him out at £200m+ to see if I could maybe cash in. He obviously annoyed by my treatment.

Had a team meeting and agreed to promise the squad to improve my man management skills

Not sure what I need to do though?

1347812441_Screenshot2022-11-20at16_18_41.thumb.png.1a36bbaa57f088dffb5b99176802fe47.png

2 hours ago, Luizinho said:

Has anyone seen this promise before and how to actually keep it?

He wanted to join Chelsea and didnt let him. He then kicked off and was unhappy/complaining. I then tried to offer him out at £200m+ to see if I could maybe cash in. He obviously annoyed by my treatment.

Had a team meeting and agreed to promise the squad to improve my man management skills

Not sure what I need to do though?

1347812441_Screenshot2022-11-20at16_18_41.thumb.png.1a36bbaa57f088dffb5b99176802fe47.png

Just keep the players happy by giving them the gametime their squad status dictates, particularly him.

23 hours ago, SergeiG said:

Promises in this game are totally broken.

Don't ever promise anything vague.

Things like, offer a new contract or win this trophy or anything like that is fine, the rest are just doomed for failure.

Totally agree. Don't promise anything that is subject to the player's interpretation.

While a lot of promises are nightmares, this one is quite easy to keep (at least if it's the same as in FM22). Don't throw water bottle or thrash arms and avoid harsh words after a loss. If you normally fine players, slow it down. Basically avoiding any sort of conflict when possible.

Sell the player even if it is for a loss. Why are you even considering a change to your management philosophies? To satisfy the childish behaviour/demands of one player that can influence a entire team because you gave him/them the hairdryer treatment for performing badly?

I had a similar case with Oldham last week- December 2022 and we were favourites to win the match, we were 15 league positions above opponents and at home. Put out my 1st Team and half-time 3-0 down and finally lost 3-2.  At half-time I did the "Thrash Arms" and "The what was that" speech. At Full time I did the "Point the Finger" and "Training tomorrow speech - never went "Water bottle" route because we played better in the second half. Next day my AMR wanted to meet with me and is all upset and is demanding that I apologise and change my management style etc. He gets told off and is placed on the transfer list and demoted to U18 squad.  Never gave him a chance to influence the rest of the team.  Sold him in the next window and got a similar player in  with a better personality. We went on to win the league.

Manage the team according to your philosophies and if you constantly cave to player demands you are not a manager but a player puppet.

Also as mentioned above - never ever agree to any promises and if they will not agree "walk away" and make alternative plans.

I’m not sure that promises are broken. I think that the problem arises when you consider the type of promise that is being made. If you promise to get promotion or win a domestic club that’s black or white … you either succeed or fail but if you promise to improve the coaching staff / midfielders / or whatever that’s totally subjective. You may think you’ve made the necessary improvements but the player may not … it’s debatable who’s correct.

My rule of thumb is never to make any promises other than to compete for promotion. If a player wants to discuss his playing time I never speak to them on the basis that whatever I say will be “wrong.” They’ll probably get upset but after a couple of months they may well have got over it … if not they can go at the next transfer window.

Edited by Hovis Dexter
Grammar