Drop in (like a Half-Back) as a toggle-able player instruction for Defensive Midfielders

jacob_m_mack

Dropping into the defensive line to form a back 3 is a big part of playing as a DM in the modern game as presses get more and more aggressive. It's an important tool in breaking presses, as it lets a player with the freedom to make a progressive carry receive the ball and initiate a carry/survey the field without having to turn with the ball.

However it feels like Half-Backs are the only DM role that repeat this behaviour consistently, which is very limiting as it means you have to accept all of the other qualities of a Half-Back if it's something you want from your DM. I actually like the Half-Back's passivity in the final third, but if someone wants more from their DM there then they are essentially barred from having a DM that drops in, which feels a little silly. Just as an example: DMs like Hojberg and Bentancur for Tottenham regularly drop in and join the defensive line IRL but play very aggressively in the final third as well. It's also frustrating as the Half-Back has the "Dribble Less" instruction locked in, which essentially takes away that freedom to make a progressive carry that I mentioned.

It would be nice if "Drop In" was something I could tell any DM role to do, unless it specifically conflicts with the role's other duties. It would also be nice if the "Dribble Less" player instruction was dropped from the Half-Back role as that feels like perhaps a relic of a bygone era, again, I actually really like the play of the Half-Back in the final third but in the first third I'd like them to be more progressive and have more freedom in bringing the ball out of defence.

• 2 months later...