Graphics (with pointers and examples)

Dedwunn

This is a subsection of a larger features post I made:

Graphics:

• Much more variety in the colour and type of players boots in the 3D match engine. The last instalment of the game with pretty good variety was probably fm21, but even then, the variety of boot colours has drastically reduced over the years. This addition hopefully wouldn’t take too much and would work wonders for immersion (e.g., green/pure white/yellow/ multi-coloured boots, with the ankle bit, looks like a sock, I think its called the collar)
  • Change to the 3d player models. More differences between players of different heights, make the models more human (hard to explain this, but like, have them fill out their frames more, they’re wider and their limbs are larger/longer… the animations are nowhere near as good as we have now, but the models are arguably better)
  • Sock height in 3d models
  • More hair variety in 3d models (e.g., ponytails, dreadlocks, etc.)
  • Make pitches appear larger or make players smaller in reference to pitches
  • Interestingly, I think FM 17 had really great 3D player models, overall the graphics have really improved since then, but the 3d player models haven’t imo. I’ll include a screenshot and try and point out a few things

FM 17:

image.thumb.jpeg.5cc294797a0c4913007fae4b7854768c.jpeg

FM 23:

image.thumb.jpeg.36181259defaa24a54ac46d53de480cd.jpeg

• You can see the reduction in the amount of colour, in FM 23, there seem to be at most 4 different boot colours, whereas in earlier instalments, you’d have 2 sometimes even three variants of even individual colours
  • The models in FM 17 seem to just have more to them, more significant limbs that seem to almost have more meat on them (or less, that’s another thing, having more variety in body types would be great as well). They have wristbands, you’ve got a bald guy there as well.
  • You can easily see just how different the guy who’s taken the throw in, looks to the striker (player furthest to the right in white) with slimmer legs and a slimmer frame, as well as interesting and distinct boot colours
  • I think that the match engine and animations have genuinely improved leaps and bounds since then, what I’m trying to get across is that there seems to be a lot of expression that was sacrificed, and I think having that reintroduced would greatly improve the graphics and immersion with the 3D matches.