Match 8: France vs Australia - BBC1 & BBC iPlayer (7pm GMT) LIVE from Al Janoub Stadium

Coulthard's Jaw

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Darius1998 said:

Yes, it's Deschamps and all, but surely you would have to be blind to start Lucas over Theo at left back...

Well, technically Theo is a fairly poor defender and Mbappe isn't known for helping his fullback when defending. Against Australia it doesn't matter, but could be a problem against decent opposition.

But yeah, Theo has to play, their most creative player. Just make it 343.

Giroud equalizes Henry's record.

Just now, Tummyowl said:

There are an awful lot of pundits and commentators who are genuinely rubbish at what they do, lazy, cliche, and outdated views.

Dembele would be better on the left cutting in because he's predictable, apparently, despite being one of the most two-footed players about :D

I cannot understand how or why they are consistently so unprepared and lack really basic knowledge about anything outside of England (I can hazard a pretty good guess). It would be a dream come true to be paid to watch and talk about football.

1 minute ago, Tummyowl said:

I cannot understand how or why they are consistently so unprepared and lack really basic knowledge about anything outside of England (I can hazard a pretty good guess). It would be a dream come true to be paid to watch and talk about football.

Because they (rightfully) assume that most people who watch World Cup don't actually follow football closely and won't notice them being clueless.

Then around 20% of viewers who know a thing or two are left extremely annoyed.

It's 2022, I want an option that allows us to mute commentators during matches and leave us with just stadium noises. Is that too much to ask? I'm paying for your service, if I want some of the features removed, I should be allowed to do so.

3 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

"he just wants to score all the time, whatever game he plays"

Such a unique characteristic for a striker, Jonathan. Most of them are happy to go on a drought here and there.

You say that, however, I present as evidence Francis Jeffers when he played for Sheffield Wednesday. I do not think he ever tried to score.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Because they (rightfully) assume that most people who watch World Cup don't actually follow football closely and won't notice them being clueless.

Then around 20% of viewers who know a thing or two are left extremely annoyed.

It's 2022, I want an option that allows us to mute commentators during matches and leave us with just stadium noises. Is that too much to ask? I'm paying for your service, if I want some of the features removed, I should be allowed to do so.

I agree, I think a lot of these jobs are 'jobs for the boys' and along with that these specific jobs do not even need you to do much homework.

I think it is really, unforgivably poor from broadcasters. You can entertain and educate people watching football. You can have genuine insight and constructive conversations about football, but broadcasters choose to give Alan Shearer (he is not the only one) money to sit there and know nothing about foreign football.

I think, especially, the BBC should have that option. I remember you could. You could have Five Live commentary too?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

I agree, I think a lot of these jobs are 'jobs for the boys' and along with that these specific jobs do not even need you to do much homework.

Many jobs are a bit like this though, not really a football thing.

6 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

I think it is really, unforgivably poor from broadcasters. You can entertain and educate people watching football. You can have genuine insight and constructive conversations about football, but broadcasters choose to give Alan Shearer (he is not the only one) money to sit there and know nothing about foreign football.

Most people won't engage with things that are deep, to be honest. If they did then we wouldn't have politics by slogan either the last 30 years.

Just now, Lucas said:

Many jobs are a bit like this though, not really a football thing.

Most people won't engage with things that are deep, to be honest. If they did then we wouldn't have politics by slogan either the last 30 years.

I agree on both points, does not make it less frustrating.

• Administrators

Think Denmark / Tunisia will be tougher games for France.  

This was one game Australia probably came in expecting to lose and they still manage to carve some chances so they'll be up for giving the next two games a go. Could end up being a tight group still.

Edit: hahha got my group teams wrong :D 

Just now, Lucas said:

Think Poland and Mexico will be tougher games for France. 

This was one game Australia probably came in expecting to lose and they still manage to carve some chances so they'll be up for giving the next two games a go. Could end up being a tight group still.

Umm it is Denmark and Tunisa in the group.

• Administrators
Just now, Mahzun_Savas said:

Umm it is Denmark and Tunisa in the group.

Haha yes, I realised soon as I posted. Blame me for thinking the game before was the same group :D Been a long day.

• Administrators
Just now, Tummyowl said:

It feels really awkward in the studio for the BBC. Again, jobs for the boys, just turn up, wear a decent shirt, say a few words and agree with Gary.

I got confused so I can't complain :D 

1 minute ago, Tummyowl said:

It feels really awkward in the studio for the BBC. Again, jobs for the boys, just turn up, wear a decent shirt, say a few words and agree with Gary.

The thing is that older viewers want to see familiar faces.

I'll take my dad as an example. If you weren't a class footballer in the past, he'll be like "what's this guy talking about". Even if the pundit is someone really insightful and great to listen.

16 minutes ago, Mickybricks14 said:

They did have that for the euros final last year. I listened to the radio Comms cos TV had jenas

They still have it, I listened to 5live there as I cannot abide Pearce. Been a black day for commentary on both sides. 

Not fit to lick Barry Davies' boots, any of them

Edited by SouthCoastRed