Help with my 4-1-4-1

I was just promoted to the National League with Kettering Town in my second season and I´m finding life a bit difficult this campaign.

After 15 matches played we have only won 1 match with 26 goals against, and a miserable 11 goals scored.

My main goal with this tactic is to be quite defensive and defend in a low block. When we regain the ball I like my team to counter directly with through balls in behind the oppostions defence.

Some parts of the setup has changed over time:

- Tried both a DLF (a) and AF (a), with the AF (a) mostly used last season before I switched to the prior a few games into this campaign

- Due to many through balls behind my two DC´s and fullbacks I have recently added a stopper duty on the left and cover on the right to try to combat the issue

- The IF (a) has also been played as a IF (s) mostly last season

My team is tipped to go 23th this season so we are actually overperforming with our 22th position currently. We would be 23th if not Oldham got a pint deduction before the season started. My biggest concern right now is the amount of goals that we conceed - and also the lack of goal threat that we show.

Skjermbilde 2022-11-22 kl. 20.26.28.png

Skjermbilde 2022-11-22 kl. 20.27.14.png

My best central midfielder.

Skjermbilde 2022-11-22 kl. 20.27.39.png

My best goalkeeper.

Skjermbilde 2022-11-22 kl. 20.30.36.png

Skjermbilde 2022-11-22 kl. 20.31.11.png

Our first 16 games this season.

I would really appreciate some thoughts and comments here on how I could improve my setup! :)

Edited by myrvoldmartin

What does the previous match analysis show (at the bottom of the tactics panel)? It's not perfect but it can give some ideas on problem areas.

I personally think you might be a bit too defensive. Low Defensive line plus Low Block means you aren't that compressed despite defending deep, plus pressing more often leads to players getting pulled out of position. Higher amounts of pressing works better with more compressed lines and (at least imo) when you have more space to recover position if the ball goes past you (higher up the pitch). 

I might try a Standard Line with low block to compress your lines a bit and also reduce the pressing triggers so defenders aren't pulled out of position as much. I personally like to set "Drop Off More" (other than on a deep defensive line) to help with through balls and balls over the top, but that depends on how you are conceding. It does make the DCs not contest high balls and through balls as much on the defensive line (instead turning to chase more often), but I prefer that unless my defenders are really fast. You can also try Encouraging Crosses so your defense plays more horizontally compact (meaning less space between the defenders for through balls). Unless crosses are the problem of course.

I also like to have my AML/Rs mark their opposing fullback/wingbacks (by position, not player; my AML marks opposing DR/WBR, my AMR marks opposing DL/WBL). It seems to make them track back more and prevents your fullbacks from being constantly outnumbered, but it does reduce your ability to counter if your outside attackers are pulled back to defense. 

For attacking, I prefer in my 4-3-3 to have a striker on support with hold up ball unless they are lightning fast and able to score solo breakaway goals consistently. I just find they end up isolated and lose the ball unless they hold it and wait for support, although this may be a side effect of making my outside attackers mark the opposing fullbacks, I also can't seem to keep AF, Poachers or even DLFs (Att) onside for love or money, but that may just be the players I have tried it with.

I might try something less passive than an Anchorman, especially with fairly passive outside backs. A DM (Def) or even a DLP (Def) will contribute a bit more to the attack without giving up too much defensively. Your team is rather stratified and there isn't much support coming from deep, at least not quickly. Maybe have one of the outside backs on attacking as well, compensating by having the AM upfield of them on support. That Left Wing back on Attack going outside of the AML on IF(Sup) could potentially create some nice overlaps and interplay.

Neither of the CMs is going to help much with defense with those roles; I'd have a least one of them as a more defensively solid role like CM (Sup) or even a Box-to-Box if you have a player that can do it. You could even have the DM on Support, one of the CMs on Defend and the other on Attack. The attacking CM becomes almost an AMC and the DM steps higher up in the midfield to support the attack. This would give a sort of 4-2-3-1 look on attack with the DM (Sup) and CM (Def) forming a double-pivot ahead of the defense.