If and iw

Has anybody gotten their if's or iw's - whether on attack og support to dribble inside and actually do what the role description says?

I've seen a few times from my own team and ai controlled teams, but far from enough. Played roughly 100 matches and maybe seen it 3 or 4 times 

If so how did you do it?

I've tried a lot of setups, and cant really seem to get it done. Hopefully some of you tactical wizards have done your homework bettdr than me 😅

Edited by Dennis Nielsen

14 minutes ago, Dennis Nielsen said:

Has anybody gotten their if's or iw's - whether on attack og support to dribble inside and actually do what the role description says?

Plenty of times. 

Post up your tactic for a start, so people can advise tactically. It also depends a lot on the player too, his attributes and traits and who's he's up against that day   

Also, bear in a mind, the likes of Mo Salah IRL don't dribble inside multiple times a game, some games this season he hasn't managed it once  

38 minutes ago, Dennis Nielsen said:

I've seen a few times from my own team and ai controlled teams, but far from enough. Played roughly 100 matches and maybe seen it 3 or 4 times 

If so how did you do it?

I've tried a lot of setups, and cant really seem to get it done. Hopefully some of you tactical wizards have done your homework bettdr than me 😅

Winger with opposite strong foot works best for me. Somehow there is a ME weakness and IW/IF do not behave as they used to...

4 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Plenty of times. 

Post up your tactic for a start, so people can advise tactically. It also depends a lot on the player too, his attributes and traits and who's he's up against that day   

Also, bear in a mind, the likes of Mo Salah IRL don't dribble inside multiple times a game, some games this season he hasn't managed it once  

image.thumb.png.e190b4255e8c008bccd06cc350029e69.png

4 hours ago, goku4 said:

Winger with opposite strong foot works best for me. Somehow there is a ME weakness and IW/IF do not behave as they used to...

I do use left footed player on the right side and vice versa, but usually i do not get thos situations, where my inside forwards or inverted winger do these kind of runs inside and while dribling.

i+ve posted my tactics, which usually look like in the pictures

Skærmbillede (2).png

Thanks for that @Dennis Nielsen :thup:

On first look, both tactics are very aggressive in terms of roles & TI's, the wings backs go forward and your middle 3 won't be shy in moving forward either. Then your TIs are about pushing your team up the pitch and congested space for the opposition. At a guess, it's the opposite to what you want and there will be limited space in the final third for your wide players to cut in

I'd try toning down the roles of your middle 3 and a few of the TIs, see if that helps brings more cutting in from your wide men 

My best tips for this is to create space for the IFs, like Johnny says, but also set the IF on attack if you want him to run with the ball. And dont use an AF striker, he will run into the space your IF wants, drag a defender with him and just crowd the area with opposition players. DLF(s) or TF(s) as the lone striker, IF/IW on attack and a playmaker type midfielder who holds the ball, invites pressure and then finds an available wide man (who then should have plenty of space to dribble into when no AF is running forward)

Holy wow that midfield.

Forget your wingers for a minute, how are you not getting murdered every game on the break? Haha. As Johnny says, that's an extremely aggressive midfield to be covering those two poor centre backs and with such a high line.

You can get away with two wing backs on attack duties, I do it myself, but you'd really benefit from an Anchor or a Half Back shielding to help out when they get forward. 

As for the original question, I play a similar-ish shape to you (albeit with different build-up) and my wide players do what you're claiming yours don't to be honest.

image.png.24be1589046a41886a4eb73da6cc3acf.png

AML has 13 goals and 4 assists in 18(4).   - (For context, ST has 22 and 4 in 15(7) and AMR has 8 and 6 in 17(4))

Assists come from, in order, RB, LB, AMR, Mez.

AML, who I guess you're most interested in, scores mostly two types of goals, either dibbling in off the left to score with his right (he has the Cuts In Off Left Wing ppm) or cutting in off the ball in to space to finish crosses from the right. 

Space is a big part of it. The Mezzala, CWB and AMR dominate a lot of my build up down the right which pulls in defenders and creates an overload, they've all got More Direct Passing enabled as individual instructions and all of them like a big switch to the AML who finds himself with a lot of space both to start in and also to run in to. The PF often helps this because he'll frequently be running in to the right hand channel between the opposition LB and LCB to further free up space for the AML.

Obviously I'm focusing on the AML a lot but the AMR carries the ball a lot as well. Now granted, it's Gabigol and he has dribble often and cuts in from both wings but yeah he dribbles inside a lot and then plays a lot of through balls between the lines for the ST.

Edited by Finners