Match 16: Brazil vs Serbia - Live from Lusail Iconic Stadium

PMLF

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the Sergej game, if you ask me.

For years he's been produced a lot of top class performances in Serie A. His FM attributes make him look like the best midfielder in the world, which he can be, on some days.

But he's already 27 and has pretty much no big games behind him. Not for NT, not for club because Lazio can't even reach the CL.

At peak performance, he can be the second best player on the pitch after Neymar and easily the best midfielder.

We'll see if he can deliver tonight.

Serbia has improved a lot under Stojković, the man knows football.  Mitrović and Vlahović both have injury issues, so only one will start, probably Vlahović.

Will be interesting how teams cope with their physicality, but their defense is suspect.

Brazil's Juventus full-back duo is also getting old, Alex Sandro is nowhere near his best days, but I still have them winning this match, on experience if nothing else.

On my phone, can't find a nice pic of it but till someone else do, here's how we'll line up.

Vanja Milinković-Savić - Nikola Milenković, Miloš Veljković, Strahinja Pavlović - Andrija Živković, Nemanja Gudelj, Saša Lukić, Mladenović - Sergej Milinković-Savić, Dušan Tadić - Mitrović.

2 minutes ago, Constantine said:

On my phone, can't find a nice pic of it but till someone else do, here's how we'll line up.

Vanja Milinković-Savić - Nikola Milenković, Miloš Veljković, Strahinja Pavlović - Andrija Živković, Nemanja Gudelj, Saša Lukić, Mladenović - Sergej Milinković-Savić, Dušan Tadić - Mitrović.

FiWOrLQWIAI3StT?format=jpg&name=900x900

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

You'd think a top team would be able dominate that Brazil central midfield

Did Paqueta turn into a CM for West Ham?

He was always more of a #10, as you say, I can't see it working against top teams.

Their backline is also really questionable against teams with pace.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Did Paqueta turn into a CM for West Ham?

He was always more of a #10, as you say, I can't see it working against top teams.

Their backline is also really questionable against teams with pace.

No. Been a 10 at West Ham (and pretty average) with Rice and Soucek behind him

Good for Brazil that Serbia can't field both Mitrovic and Vlahovic from the start. 

Not a very good looking defence for Brazil. That fan easily be got at. Especially when you look at what's in front of them, Casemiro aside of course. 

Still expect Brazil to win but could well be a draw this. 

9 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Surely Bruno is a better option than Paqueta? Or is this a Brazil team that’s locked into personal by the manager?

More a matter of 'hierarchy', a Paquetá is a more established NT player. If he were not starting, then probably Fred would start.

Not sure about the balance of that Brazilian midfield. Do they expect Casemiro to do all the defensive work? :D

Think this will be a nervy opening game for both teams - may even be another 0-0 at half-time - but Brazil's greater attacking threat will eventually make the difference.

Just now, Confused Clarity said:

@PMLF

How come somebody as well spoken on the game as Julio Cesar is working for the BBC rather than Brazilian TV?

Gilberto Silva, I can understand with how long he spent in England.

There is no shortage of former players commenting for Brazilian TV. Júlio César has been living abroad, I think, so easier for him to work for foreign TV.

4 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

That one yeah. Decent English tbf. 

No other way to understand Harry Redknapp. :D

Btw, born 10 years too early, legit had technique and passing of a midfielder, but was never allowed to do anything because Italy. :D

10 minutes ago, PMLF said:

There is no shortage of former players commenting for Brazilian TV. Júlio César has been living abroad, I think, so easier for him to work for foreign TV.

Is Rambo Petković one of the pundits for tonight's game, has to be.

Edited by GunmaN1905

7 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Fair comment.

Is it in one broadcaster over there? Or multiple?

Who are the usual pundits and which ones do you like/infuriate you?

Or should we take that to the punditry thread? 😂

1 minute ago, Confused Clarity said:

Fair comment.

Is it in one broadcaster over there? Or multiple?

Who are the usual pundits and which ones do you like/infuriate you?

Or should we take that to the punditry thread? 😂

It's on Globo and Sportv (a sports cable channel linked to Globo) as well as streaming.

I like Júnior as pundit, Diego (who just retired) and Zé Roberto were pretty bad in the matches he was in.

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Serbia with "13th WC appearance". :lol:

Finally managed to string two in a row with same territory and name. :thup:

The 13 appearances are under what - 4 or 5 different names/countries? :D 

Also - is Serbia generally seen as the successor of the former Yugoslav results? 

3 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

is Serbia generally seen as the successor of the former Yugoslav results? 

They officialy are because noone else ever cared about it.

Football NT never won anything because it was always sabotaged via politics one way or another, even though it had enough quality to contend for winning almost every tournament with proper coaching and player selection, which was almost never the case.

37 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Not sure about the balance of that Brazilian midfield. Do they expect Casemiro to do all the defensive work? :D

Think this will be a nervy opening game for both teams - may even be another 0-0 at half-time - but Brazil's greater attacking threat will eventually make the difference.

Paqueta isn't a liability defensively