U20 vs U18 training for young players

I'm aware that below 18 training is most important so it's better to avoid putting young players in the first team... but is there a difference at 15-17 years if i put them in the U18 or the U20 for training? Since my intakes are poor i find myself struggling to fit both teams so i was thinking of cutting U18 (aka promoting every youngster to U20) entirely.

Is it okay or it's better to keep them on U18?

What is the benefit of not having them in the u18, but having them in u20?

For dev it would be best to let them in the u18, untill they either join u20 by age or if they are regular starters already have them playing in the first team.

Only if there is no staff in the u18, it would make sense to move them. But it would make more sense to have staff in the u18 and not in the u20.

The shortest answer would be; depends.

4 hours ago, b2khn said:

For dev it would be best to let them in the u18, untill they either join u20 by age or if they are regular starters already have them playing in the first team.

Only if there is no staff in the u18, it would make sense to move them. But it would make more sense to have staff in the u18 and not in the u20.

A big problem with leaving the U21(reserve, U20) team empty is that the manager of that team would call up U18 players to fill it when there's games. 

4 hours ago, DMaster2 said:

I'm aware that below 18 training is most important so it's better to avoid putting young players in the first team... but is there a difference at 15-17 years if i put them in the U18 or the U20 for training? Since my intakes are poor i find myself struggling to fit both teams so i was thinking of cutting U18 (aka promoting every youngster to U20) entirely.

Is it okay or it's better to keep them on U18?

You'd need to consider the youth league and your staff. If your U18's are not strong enough to compete in the U20 league, leave them all at U18. 

4 ore fa, b2khn ha scritto:

U20 manager, for whatever reason, can pick players from both U20 and U18 while U18 manager can pick only from U18. So it would be pointless to crowd them in U18 because they would still play for both. By putting everyone on U20 they only play U20 and the U18 use grey players.

Also i prefer to not have big squads even with european football mixed in so i can give promising youngsters a game here and there but U20/18 games tends to have the bad habit of being in the same day as the main team and since i hate to micromanage i often find myself without being able to pick them for the first team. Having one less team to worry about would be better (but this is me being lazy i guess...). Btw i have full staff for both but U20 tends to have better training stars than U18 due to using my main team coachs as well.

Edited by DMaster2

21 minuti fa, jcp1417 ha scritto:

You'd need to consider the youth league and your staff. If your U18's are not strong enough to compete in the U20 league, leave them all at U18. 

Those players are more than ready to tackle U20 football, so that's a non-issue. What worries me is if there is a major difference in training levels between U20 and U18 or if it's negligible.

2 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

Those players are more than ready to tackle U20 football, so that's a non-issue. What worries me is if there is a major difference in training levels between U20 and U18 or if it's negligible.

There is no boost for any particular squad. If all things are equal, a player would get the same development in any squad. If your U18's can handle the U20 league, and you have enough staff to train them at U20, I say go for it!

Last thing to consider, the training calendar pre-sets are different between U18 and U20. U20 has the same presets as the senior team, whereas the U18 has a youth training pre-set. I can't speak to how one preset works over the other, but that's the only tangible difference between U18 and U20 training. 

1 hour ago, jcp1417 said:

A big problem with leaving the U21(reserve, U20) team empty is that the manager of that team would call up U18 players to fill it when there's games. 

then you might need just numbers in the u21/u20 and save the gems for the u18.

2 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

The U20 team is coached by U20 coaches but the U18 team is coached by both U18 and U20 coaches. Therefore if they are under 18 I'd leave them in that team

The U20 team is also coached by senior team coaches.

Just because the coaches are contracted to the U18 team, doesn't mean that they are better suited for U18 players. If your senior and U20 coaches all have better "working with Youngsters" ratings than the U18 coaches, The U20 team would actually be a better place for the U18s (provided you adjust their training schedule to be focused more on developing and less on match day preparation)

23 ore fa, b2khn ha scritto:

It is the best solution for the issue presented in the question. 

I don't think so. If i leave the gems to u18 what happens is that both U20 and U18 will play them (if they have games in different days) which only means they get extra game for no gain and the less talented players in U20 gets neglected (unless the team is small enough the AI is forced to field them).

Beside my objective is to cut one team so i have less conflict between the remaining one and the main team if i want to field a young player for a game due to an emergency injury or something. I wouldn't go to this lenght if your solution worked for my issue (i did tried it btw).

That's the reason why i mostly play custom made database i make on my own, this way i select monday as a day for both U20 and U18 to play (so only tuesday CL games are mostly affected but CL registration is far stricter so they usually can't be fielded anyway) but for official database it's not an option sadly.

59 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

I don't think so. If i leave the gems to u18 what happens is that both U20 and U18 will play them (if they have games in different days) which only means they get extra game for no gain and the less talented players in U20 gets neglected (unless the team is small enough the AI is forced to field them).

Beside my objective is to cut one team so i have less conflict between the remaining one and the main team if i want to field a young player for a game due to an emergency injury or something. I wouldn't go to this lenght if your solution worked for my issue (i did tried it btw).

That's the reason why i mostly play custom made database i make on my own, this way i select monday as a day for both U20 and U18 to play (so only tuesday CL games are mostly affected but CL registration is far stricter so they usually can't be fielded anyway) but for official database it's not an option sadly.

I’m not sure if it would help, but have you used the option where games are only allowed to play on Wednesday or Saturday? I think the u20 team would use grey players

1 hour ago, DMaster2 said:

that is why you fill up the the other u-teams with players.

If you have less players then require those in u19 get played.

Less players more trouble, it's not realy good since the more gametime the less training.

But simple solution, fill up the teams.

1 ora fa, b2khn ha scritto:

Less players more trouble, it's not realy good since the more gametime the less training.

I'm doing a youth system only challenge so that's not an option.

2 ore fa, jcp1417 ha scritto:

I’m not sure if it would help, but have you used the option where games are only allowed to play on Wednesday or Saturday? I think the u20 team would use grey players

Can you elaborate? Where can i find that option exactly?

1 hour ago, b2khn said:

Dude, you are not being helpful at all. You’re completely ignoring the concerns. Just go away. 

26 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

Can you elaborate? Where can i find that option exactly?

It’s in advanced settings, down near the bottom. I think the default is to “allow matches to be moved to tv”. 

keep in mind that if you change it, it won’t take effect until the next season

6 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

Dude, you are not being helpful at all. You’re completely ignoring the concerns. Just go away. 

Me Dude, you are rude. But I get you want to do something. Do it, it is not advantageous.

14 minuti fa, jcp1417 ha scritto:

It’s in advanced settings, down near the bottom. I think the default is to “allow matches to be moved to tv”. 

keep in mind that if you change it, it won’t take effect until the next season

Thanks, i'll check it and see if it solve my issue.