Complacent Players Drive Me Batty

With my first full season playing FM23 nearly done, my impression is that complacency among players has become more prevalent. I'm used to seeing it in some players in pre-season friendlies or the occasional regular season blowout, but in my Vigo save, hardly a match went by in which at least some players didn't become complacent, sometimes with as little as a one-goal lead. Add to it the new (and irritating) "would have preferred to remain in the bench", and you have the makings of a make-or-break issue for players (at least for me).

I'm already on the record with my thoughts about the whole player interaction module in FM23, so this isn't about that. Do complacent players p*** anyone else off as much as they do me? My initial reaction to repeated complacency, and especially to "would have preferred to remain on the bench" is to show the players involved the door. But that would mean transferring out about 20% of my squad. Not very practical. So. my question is: how many others have seen this uptick, and what do you do about it?

I can’t help much with how to deal with it other than I just ignore it, and then give them individual shouts of demand more/fire up to try to get their minds on the job in hand. 
The “ preferred to stay on bench” I’m particularly struggling with. Seems SI is moving towards the everyone is a sulking Ronaldo. In a recent game I had two U21 players on bench, was comfortably winning, brought them both on around 75th min, even tho one was showing complacent. Within minutes of being on pitch the other is wanting to have stayed on the bench. IRL I can’t imagine u21 players having this attitude to getting first team minutes. Nervous, sure.  If anything there should be a setting that shows they are overly excited and chomping at the bit to get on, much more realistic to real life. 
Or maybe SI needs to improve teamtalk at sub time where u can say to a youngster go take the opportunity of this x minutes and show you deserve being with the first team. 
And I don’t think I am doing anything wrong in shouts etc because the first 11 on the pitch, none were showing as complacent. 
So following with interest to see if any smart solutions are offered! 

SI is absolutely trolling with this year's edition. Stuff like the preferred to stay on bench couldn't have passed anybody's sanity check before releasing the game, especially after a full beta period.

Though tbf I don't think it matters that much anyway. It is just annoying and unrealistic.