Making Saka the next "Ballon d'Or" : my attempt to an agressive 4-3-3

Problems I saw :

- We let too easily the opp playing in the back. However, I can't play a high press or it will decrease the space Saka can have (like here : https://gyazo.com/54fed5422c2f8d27df411d4b2b20db18 ; https://gyazo.com/71d6f8f9f9ae6168c822c63f825e5b4c)

- Even if we manage to create an overload for Saka to use, it seems he's not using it (https://gyazo.com/e0bdaacf0d4e4d1c78cf21add71e255f ;

- Most of the time, we fin Saka outwide (https://gyazo.com/96af7b55e3895ab3fc2f6a81e20160ce ; https://gyazo.com/175e3d915523f379af5bf4de0fc30fa3)

- We often face a lot of people in the box (https://gyazo.com/50e805af314f28274c5683dc78605cb0 ; https://gyazo.com/dbbcf178deceea3ef323b9aa67edbcc6 with Odegaard missing the goal ;https://gyazo.com/f8e27e7017bd7faf661b560042620d79)

To be fair, I have no idea how to solve that

Edited by CKBrahMa

30 dakika önce, CKBrahMa said:

Problems I saw :

- We let too easily the opp playing in the back. However, I can't play a high press or it will decrease the space Saka can have (like here : https://gyazo.com/54fed5422c2f8d27df411d4b2b20db18 ; https://gyazo.com/71d6f8f9f9ae6168c822c63f825e5b4c)

- Even if we manage to create an overload for Saka to use, it seems he's not using it (https://gyazo.com/e0bdaacf0d4e4d1c78cf21add71e255f ;

- Most of the time, we fin Saka outwide (https://gyazo.com/96af7b55e3895ab3fc2f6a81e20160ce ; https://gyazo.com/175e3d915523f379af5bf4de0fc30fa3)

- We often face a lot of people in the box (https://gyazo.com/50e805af314f28274c5683dc78605cb0 ; https://gyazo.com/dbbcf178deceea3ef323b9aa67edbcc6 with Odegaard missing the goal ;https://gyazo.com/f8e27e7017bd7faf661b560042620d79)

To be fair, I have no idea how to solve that

I honestly think the roles and defensive style are OK. Start with no TIs and see what happens. Maybe too many of them are ticked complicating things making it harder for you to create the desired movements.

il y a 8 minutes, frukox a dit :

I honestly think the roles and defensive style are OK. Start with no TIs and see what happens. Maybe too many of them are ticked complicating things making it harder for you to create the desired movements.

I think the problem might be "Work Ball into box", as I don't really want the player to stop to find an opening, but to force his way into the box

10 dakika önce, CKBrahMa said:

I think the problem might be "Work Ball into box", as I don't really want the player to stop to find an opening, but to force his way into the box

Please think about no TIs with regard to in-possession and in-transition. Add them one-by-one to see their effect on the pitch and tweak them until you see the style you want. Sometimes simplifying things is the best way unless you thoroughly know how each of them affects the match engine.

image.thumb.png.3b4bf760d587329bca499ca207823ef1.png

Update : I untick the Work Ball into box instruction, and our production is much more like what i want.

However, the right IF-a (Saka, Pépé) have hard time to perform.

On the last 5 games :

IF-a (Saka) has 2 goals and 2 assists. 7.54 rating

F9 (G. Jesus) has 7 goals and 1 assist. 7.82 rating

IW-a (Martinelli) has 1 goal and 3 assists. 7.32 rating

Even though it's working wonder (in the last 5 games, 17 goals scored for 2 against, 5 previous was 14 goals for 0 against. The two series has "low level" teams

11a225168e606bb92d646b7d4b7a925d.png.078c667901a24e8d85b83bfa36f0e001.png

My objective to make Saka the first threat is not working :(

6 saat önce, CKBrahMa said:

image.thumb.png.3b4bf760d587329bca499ca207823ef1.png

Update : I untick the Work Ball into box instruction, and our production is much more like what i want.

However, the right IF-a (Saka, Pépé) have hard time to perform.

On the last 5 games :

IF-a (Saka) has 2 goals and 2 assists. 7.54 rating

F9 (G. Jesus) has 7 goals and 1 assist. 7.82 rating

IW-a (Martinelli) has 1 goal and 3 assists. 7.32 rating

Even though it's working wonder (in the last 5 games, 17 goals scored for 2 against, 5 previous was 14 goals for 0 against. The two series has "low level" teams

11a225168e606bb92d646b7d4b7a925d.png.078c667901a24e8d85b83bfa36f0e001.png

My objective to make Saka the first threat is not working :(

Results look good, mate. Is the team able to hold the ball on the left flank? If not, get rid of Low Crosses and Focus Play Down Saka's flank because Low Crosses instructs the team to cross the ball low and parallel to the goal, often resulting in a cutback. This ultimately reduces available space for Saka because you push opposition deeper. That's not what you want. You want early diagonal balls and crosses to Saka for easy tap-ins or simple finishes at the far post. Untick it.

Lastly, focusing down right flank means Saka may get the ball earlier without moving opposition to the left to isolate him against opposition FB. So untick this, too.

Edited by frukox

I played 3 games today (one against a way weaker team in the FA cup, one PL game at home, one UCL game away against Bayer Leverkusen). All went 3-0 for me, which is nice.

What I tweaked :

- Untick the low cross

- Tempo back to standard instead of higher ,

- DL down to standard

And the IF-a/Saka is still disappointing... (0 goal, 0 assist on these games).

I see that I'm facing way more cautious teams now, closing down the space. Saka still got great chances, but miss them, while the F9 (3 goals, 1 assist) and the left IW-a (3 goals, 1 assist).

I'm wondering if putting Saka as an IF-a is a waste ? I took a look at Rashidi book of roles and he states this :

"While some may say its vital to choose the right player for the right role, what’s more
important is understanding how these roles are meant to perform. You can try any
role with any player in the game, naturally some perform better at it, and this could
be down to how they combine with other players. This is why its important to know
what they are capable of doing. Attributes will then help you understand if they are
not performing as well as you expect."

Maybe I should play him as an IW-a as he's no IF-a ("poor" finishing with 12, "poor" long shot with 13). Especially, when Saka scored in my game, it's more with movement like the IW than the IF...

I am no expert here, and reading how frukox think, things through makes my head spin!  But i wonder if being less aggressive with roles on he left may help in getting more goals out of Saka?  Having so many attacking roles on the left might encourage them to head for goal, maybe changing the IWA to IWS and the MEZA to MEZS might have them a bit deeper, playing with the ball until the space arrives on the right (I do think the IWB role restricts a bit here, as having a WBA i think would be useful).  Also there needs to be an out ball, somebody (or people) need to be looking for Saka.  I guess those could be the right cm, maybe the AML and ST.  Ideas: make the AML a playmaker to encourage the play on the left and then for the player to look for a killer ball?  Or make the right CM a DLP so that people are looking for the out ball and that player can then move the ball quickly to Saka?  Another thought: have shoot less often for people scoring too much?

Maybe PPMs could be useful here.  Having lots of people on the left with 'plays one twos' and the right people with 'likes to switch ball to other flank' can help.

Anyway, reading this thread with interest.

Edit: I think Rashidi did exactly this idea in a thread a long time ago with Liverpool.  I only remember him having Mane as a Treq (or target man...) on the left.

Edit 2: I know it breaks your rules and there are possibly too many support roles in midfield, but just an idea:

image.png.fdbe323abb9904ad0f787572ff3246d7.png

Edited by Andros

1 saat önce, Andros said:

I am no expert here, and reading how frukox think, things through makes my head spin!  But i wonder if being less aggressive with roles on he left may help in getting more goals out of Saka?  Having so many attacking roles on the left might encourage them to head for goal, maybe changing the IWA to IWS and the MEZA to MEZS might have them a bit deeper, playing with the ball until the space arrives on the right (I do think the IWB role restricts a bit here, as having a WBA i think would be useful).  Also there needs to be an out ball, somebody (or people) need to be looking for Saka.  I guess those could be the right cm, maybe the AML and ST.  Ideas: make the AML a playmaker to encourage the play on the left and then for the player to look for a killer ball?  Or make the right CM a DLP so that people are looking for the out ball and that player can then move the ball quickly to Saka?  Another thought: have shoot less often for people scoring too much?

Maybe PPMs could be useful here.  Having lots of people on the left with 'plays one twos' and the right people with 'likes to switch ball to other flank' can help.

Edit: I think Rashidi did exactly this idea in a thread a long time ago with Liverpool.  I only remember him having Mane as a Treq (or target man...) on the left.

Edit 2: I know it breaks your rules and there are possibly too many support roles in midfield, but just an idea:

@CKBrahMa and @Andros, I'm also now developing  a promising tactic recreating Arteta's Arsenal 22/23. My player in Saka's role both scored and had some assists-he has lots of support and supply. Mate, you are in search of the holy grail using an IWB but I think this system needs a role keeping ball longer on that flank. My proposal is for a such a specific system if I had such a goal:

AFA

IWS                              IFA

MEZA     CMS

DMS

FBA    BPDD    CDD    FBS

SKS

However, you want to play with an IWB and this makes things complicated, mate:idiot:

Let me explain the system. Everything is set to create space for Saka. How?

FBA, MEZA, IWS is a wonderful combination to overload the left flank. Think about CMS and DMS who will also drift a bit to the left with a Focus Play instruction strengthening the overload. AF will also be a nuisance on the shoulder of the defender of the left side pinning him. FBS will also refrain from overlapping until it's safe to do generally will do it when the ball is close to opposition penalty area being a backward passing outlet for Saka if he can't find a way to go through. So where must be the space now? On the right for Saka!:brock:

Edited by frukox

Il y a 7 heures, Andros a dit :

Thanks for your review, mate ! (As a non-native, is saying « mate » is lame or still ok ? Maybe « buddy » ?)

It was my fear too to put too much on the left, especially players trying to go ahead with an attacking task : they push the whole block deeper. Still, good to test !

I think I will Go with something like this :

164DA94F-315E-4E63-9277-E3C7C6C0BA52.jpeg.9233e92ed0270d6b542b9aba1321bdbb.jpegAnd untick the focus play on the right flank. I might put the F9 as a ST Left to emphasise the overload. The AP will be a ball magnet and help for killer ball. I may lack of width so I’m thinking of putting Martinelli as a W-a. However, his poor crossing bother me. Maybe add « stay wider » PI ?

The F9, as he’s dropping deep, will give late run in the box, same for the CM-s.

Il y a 6 heures, frukox a dit :

@CKBrahMa and @Andros, I'm also now developing  a promising tactic recreating Arteta's Arsenal 22/23. My player in Saka's role both scored and had some assists-he has lots of support and supply. Mate, you are in search of the holy grail using an IWB but I think this system needs a role keeping ball longer on that flank. My proposal is for a such a specific system if I had such a goal:

AFA

MEZA     CMS

DMS

SKS

However, you want to play with an IWB and this makes things complicated, mate:idiot:

FBA, MEZA, IWS is a wonderful combination to overload the left flank. Think about CMS and DMS who will also drift a bit to the left with a Focus Play instruction strengthening the overload. AF will also be a nuisance on the shoulder of the defender of the left side pinning him. FBS will also refrain from overlapping until it's safe to do generally will do it when the ball is close to opposition penalty area being a backward passing outlet for Saka if he can't find a way to go through. So where must be the space now? On the right for Saka!:brock:

Yes I know I make my life harder haha ! But here is the challenge : can I create a great tactic with some obstacles ?

During the Beta, I create a great 442 with Monaco, last year I created a great system around Ødegaard as a F9, this year I try (and failed) to create an Arteta recreation.

it’s like I try to create something different each season (or couple of season).

I’m kinda breaking my rule of not putting Saka as an IF-a, but the goal was more to make him a potential Ballon d’Or winner rather than an IF-a with success.

I will try the tactic I send up there. Another solution : just « reverse » the tactic as the left winger tends to be more involved than the right one haha

8 dakika önce, CKBrahMa said:

Thanks for your review, mate ! (As a non-native, is saying « mate » is lame or still ok ? Maybe « buddy » ?)

It was my fear too to put too much on the left, especially players trying to go ahead with an attacking task : they push the whole block deeper. Still, good to test !

I think I will Go with something like this :

164DA94F-315E-4E63-9277-E3C7C6C0BA52.jpeg.9233e92ed0270d6b542b9aba1321bdbb.jpegAnd untick the focus play on the right flank. I might put the F9 as a ST Left to emphasise the overload. The AP will be a ball magnet and help for killer ball. I may lack of width so I’m thinking of putting Martinelli as a W-a. However, his poor crossing bother me. Maybe add « stay wider » PI ?

The F9, as he’s dropping deep, will give late run in the box, same for the CM-s.

Yes I know I make my life harder haha ! But here is the challenge : can I create a great tactic with some obstacles ?

During the Beta, I create a great 442 with Monaco, last year I created a great system around Ødegaard as a F9, this year I try (and failed) to create an Arteta recreation.

it’s like I try to create something different each season (or couple of season).

I’m kinda breaking my rule of not putting Saka as an IF-a, but the goal was more to make him a potential Ballon d’Or winner rather than an IF-a with success.

I will try the tactic I send up there. Another solution : just « reverse » the tactic as the left winger tends to be more involved than the right one haha

As you wish. My only concern would be your static midfield. APA and CMS will support the play but who is going to get forward so as not to isolate the striker. If I went for such a supporting midfield set-up, I'd try to make up for it by being really aggressive on the wings like Klopp's Liverpool.You can report your findings here and will happily try to help you if you have any other problems. Cheers.:)

Il y a 2 heures, frukox a dit :

As you wish. My only concern would be your static midfield. APA and CMS will support the play but who is going to get forward so as not to isolate the striker. If I went for such a supporting midfield set-up, I'd try to make up for it by being really aggressive on the wings like Klopp's Liverpool.You can report your findings here and will happily try to help you if you have any other problems. Cheers.:)

I feel you about the static midfield.

What about the IWB on Attack duty ? And the AP on support ?

I did have a play around with this for a while using FM19.  I tried playing the same game over and over again making small changes. The things I noticed:

Getting overloads on my chosen side was not a problem, the issue was getting it to the desired goal scorer.

Full backs would cross a lot and the crosses would get blocked and not hit anyone.

The IF (desired goal scorer) would come too deep to get the ball and then tried to dribble passed too many people and lose the ball.

There was no space for the IF goal scorer.

The only time I got the ball to the goal scorer as desired, was when the ST put a through ball to him, it was rare to see.

I probably chose the wrong team for this (Liverpool with the squad for 2022) but perhaps I need to look at really slowing the pace down, getting the goal scorer to remain as high as possible, and role and players that will look to tiki taka on the overloading side before unleashing to the goal scorer.   I haven't gotten it working yet, too tired for tonight so will try again later.

Ideas at the moment:

Get the IF to man mark the CB closest to him to stay high

Change the IF to a Poacher or Advanced Forward but on the side

I don't know what to do with the CM closest to the IF, might need to be more aggressive to provide an out and through balls

Reduce crossing on FB

Have the ST as an AMC and closest to the overloading side

DLP in the DM strata to get out balls

I might play with the editor to see the impact of PPMs

Play around with stay wider, play narrower, also runs wide with ball

PS whilst the FB crossing got blocked a lot, the overloading side would really struggle without a FB that pushes forward hugging the line IMO.

I think I find something interresting : putting the left side with Martinelli as a IW-a and Odegaard as a Mezz-a, while both G. Jesus as a F9 and Saka as an IF-s (and not on attack).

Now, i have the left side pushing up and on the left, freeing space for both the F9 and the IF-s that are deeper. I felt that, before, Saka was the one pushing up the field, so it was difficult for him to find space

1 saat önce, CKBrahMa said:

I think I find something interresting : putting the left side with Martinelli as a IW-a and Odegaard as a Mezz-a, while both G. Jesus as a F9 and Saka as an IF-s (and not on attack).

Now, i have the left side pushing up and on the left, freeing space for both the F9 and the IF-s that are deeper. I felt that, before, Saka was the one pushing up the field, so it was difficult for him to find space

Try it out for a number of games and see whether it will work for you and I strongly advise you to try the set-up I've already shown you above if you aren't using an IWB any more:)

Il y a 15 heures, frukox a dit :

Try it out for a number of games and see whether it will work for you and I strongly advise you to try the set-up I've already shown you above if you aren't using an IWB any more:)

I saw, but I really want to succeed in my own way. Copying what you’re doing won’t help me to improve. 

Thinking during my lunch break, I think I lost myself in my tactic. I think I made too many confusion between attacking football and counter attacking football. Especially, I wanted Saka to beat them with a lot of space, while this reflects more a counter-attacking tactic more than an attacking tactic.

If we think of Mbappe as an IF-a (even though I think he’s more an IW-a), he’s rarely playing in a counter attacking style right now (facing a lot of low blocks).

Times to times, he does have counter attack opportunities, but he also plays more with the ball on his feet !

Maybe that’s where I begin to being mislead.

I will do all the process once again (starting from scratch).

On 08/12/2022 at 03:38, frukox said:

AFA

MEZA     CMS

DMS

SKS

Change the advanced forward to a false nine/ pressing forward support ( or perhaps dlf a) and this tactic will probably be the best bet. Ideally you want your st dropping deep to create space for saka

Edited by _mxrky

2 saat önce, CKBrahMa said:

I saw, but I really want to succeed in my own way. Copying what you’re doing won’t help me to improve. 

Thinking during my lunch break, I think I lost myself in my tactic. I think I made too many confusion between attacking football and counter attacking football. Especially, I wanted Saka to beat them with a lot of space, while this reflects more a counter-attacking tactic more than an attacking tactic.

If we think of Mbappe as an IF-a (even though I think he’s more an IW-a), he’s rarely playing in a counter attacking style right now (facing a lot of low blocks).

Times to times, he does have counter attack opportunities, but he also plays more with the ball on his feet !

Maybe that’s where I begin to being mislead.

I will do all the process once again (starting from scratch).

Ok. Have it your way, no hard feelings but you're right. Watching transitions and working out how all these things related to a tactical system come together in the ME is definitely the best way to learn this game. Looking forward to seeing your new system, then.:)

Thinking a lot about the « attacking » playstyle, as I said yesterday.

I think that, by « attacking », we’re looking at Hansi Flick’s Bayern, or ETH’s Ajax. Something very agressive in the end, suffocating the opponent in their own half.

I give it a go : win 7-0 against Watford.

However, I was not a huge fan of the playstyle. Most of my goals where from midfielders shooting from distance because we overload their box. Furthermore, I don’t like how we play.

I give a go to the BTN/Rashidi Arsenal recreation and it’s very close to what I’m looking for. 

So, here is the thing : I said that I wanted to create a tactic (1.) that makes Saka shine (2.).

Taking BTN recreation miss the first point. So, I’m going to create my own based on my experience with one tweak :

- I will play with a 4231 as it helps to naturally overload the opponent half (as I have no DM, I won’t play with an IWB. Zinchenko has a great left foot. However, Aaron’s….)

- it will be easier to overload the left space to make Saka the main goal scorer.

I think I will go with something like this :

F9733FD6-E50E-4ED5-A46B-00EFDE56A73E.jpeg.f665022522338d2fa43260da5f5916c6.jpeg

35 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

CM-D covers better for your FB-A and BWM-S supports your IF-A better.

You could swith the BPD and CD as well then..

Yeah this makes the most sense. Also means the Bpd can hit the balls to the inside forward as well

4 minutes ago, CKBrahMa said:

Well ok !

And, otherwise, other comments about the process ? Switching to a 4231, following the Saka BO winner ?

Making ballon d’or winners in fm is quite hard when you play in the premier league. You basically have to gear your entire system to him (and this may include putting him on most of the set pieces). I think the new version of the tactic should maximise his output although it won’t really be a recreation of Arteta’s arsenal if that’s what you wanted originally.

maybe having the wingback on Wb- attack could be good if you want all 5 channels occupied constantly in the final third plus the byline cutbacks to the inside forward rather than the deeper crosses you get from from the fullback.

Edited by _mxrky

il y a 5 minutes, _mxrky a dit :

Making ballon d’or winners in fm is quite hard when you play in the premier league. You basically have to gear your entire system to him (and this may include putting him on most of the set pieces). I think the new version of the tactic should maximise his output although it won’t really be a recreation of Arteta’s arsenal if that’s what you wanted originally.

maybe having the wingback on Wb- attack could be good if you want all 5 channels occupied constantly in the final third plus the byline cutbacks to the inside forward rather than the deeper crosses you get from from the fullback.

I’m not seeking an Arteta recreation here (it is my previous thread).

I’m aiming on creating a winger as a main goalscorer :) 

yes, I’m talking Ballon d’Or but let’s say a worldwide attacker ! It is going to be difficult with Haaland and Mbappé to win it…

Having the 2 WB on attack ? I’m not sure I have the players for it + it is very risky, while this tactic is already risky.

but I’ll keep that in mind

22 minutes ago, CKBrahMa said:

I’m not seeking an Arteta recreation here (it is my previous thread).

I’m aiming on creating a winger as a main goalscorer :) 

yes, I’m talking Ballon d’Or but let’s say a worldwide attacker ! It is going to be difficult with Haaland and Mbappé to win it…

Having the 2 WB on attack ? I’m not sure I have the players for it + it is very risky, while this tactic is already risky.

but I’ll keep that in mind

I meant the left back would be wing back attack. The right back on support is fine 

• 5 weeks later...

Good evening everyone !

Finish the season 2 with the following resultats :

- UCL winner

- Carabao Cup Winner

- Community Shield Winner

- UEFA Supercup winner

- 2nd in PL (lost at the end of the season as I lacked of players, they were all tired at the end)

Here is the tactic :

Révélation

image.thumb.png.f8f49c3f57e7895a431f7e2e2a068dde.png

As you can see, Saka became the 2nd best goalscorer (but G. Jesus being way ahead with 40 goals !) and the top assist with 16.

The main tweak was putting Martinelli as a W-a to keep the width and Tomi as a FB-a for the same thing.