Updating a tactic for FM23

Hello.

On FM22 I ended up with a very succesful 532 formation, that lead me to a Portuguese championship with Estoril Praia in the third season and winning the Conference League with Hammarby in 2029. I have tried it on FM23, but the added focus - or what you want to call it - on DM's seems to have made it not as effective.

MEZ was mainly on support and WBL was mainly WB A

How could you update this to suit FM23 better? Of course I changed things up sometimes. Mentality to positive, playing a flat three in midfield and more.

spacer.png

I have thought something along the lines of:

GK/Defense stay unchanged

DMCR - BWM D

DMCL - DLP S or RPM S

Front three unchanged.

Mentality to positive for starters.

Would that be viable?

Edited by Mr_Demus

For a start, isn't a Mez (A) and a SS going to fill kinda a similar role in your system? 

I would expect both of them to want to make runs beyond your TF and even your PF when the latter is in the left channel making space in the middle. 

I really like both SS and Mez A and I've built tactics around both but I don't think I'd use both together and I'm not sure you NEED both together. 

So personally I'd probably just drop the SS in favour of a DM and then change up your left CM to something on a support duty. 

While we're at it, can I ask about your use of "work ball in to box?" You seem to have quite a fast, direct tactic here. The use of a target man, the fast distribution, the attacking mentality, it looks like you want to hit people pretty quickly and directly. 

I'd have thought you'd get more joy then if you take work ball in to box off. It's pretty much an instruction that helps facilitate more patient play. Think the Spanish national team probing around the box before a nice through ball gets put in. 

Not only does that instruction seem contradictory to your style, it seems contradictory to your roles as well. You don't really have the personnel in the final third to be probing the box, you just have a bunch of guys that want to get in it and then deeper lying players that want to punt the ball at it. 

It feels like you want to hybridise two very different approaches that aren't going to blend very well. 

I think if you took that instruction off but lowered your mentality to positive you might find the approach play you're possibly looking for a bit more organically. 

Edited by Finners