Trying to create a 4231 or 433 counter attack on fm23, cannot seem to get the balance right. Are my roles and tactical instructions ok. My main query is the roles of the Dmidfielders, AMC. Do my roles work for breakaways

Regarding your 4231, I think you should swap the 2 CDMs to have the support one on the right. Then you should change your BWMsu into a DMsu in order for him to bring the ball forward.

Your left AM could be an IF on support to attack the space more often than an IWsu.

Your left FB could be more attack minded (FBat for exemple) since there will be a defensive minded midfielder and a player on support in front of him. 

Then, you could remove ‘play out of defense’ or, if you really have the quality to perform this, consider 1 or 2 BPDs to help you to bring the ball out of defense. 

Finally, I suggest you to remove counter-press since you play with a low block. If the counter press fails, your players will take too much time getting back to their defensive positions

On 07/12/2022 at 12:38, sonnevillejr said:

Regarding your 4231, I think you should swap the 2 CDMs to have the support one on the right. Then you should change your BWMsu into a DMsu in order for him to bring the ball forward.

Your left AM could be an IF on support to attack the space more often than an IWsu.

Your left FB could be more attack minded (FBat for exemple) since there will be a defensive minded midfielder and a player on support in front of him. 

Then, you could remove ‘play out of defense’ or, if you really have the quality to perform this, consider 1 or 2 BPDs to help you to bring the ball out of defense. 

Finally, I suggest you to remove counter-press since you play with a low block. If the counter press fails, your players will take too much time getting back to their defensive positions

BPD’s look to play risky passes, so removing the POOD option will encourage that more.  I usually have 1 BPD in my tactics with POOD on and even then, the amount of times he play passes to no-one upfield is unreal.  I wish SI would either change the name of the role or remove the risky pass trait.  

PS - I get BPD’s do make risky passes but they don’t do it all the time or as much as it happens in FM

Edited by michael_hughes

51 minutes ago, michael_hughes said:

BPD’s look to play risky passes, so removing the POOD option will encourage that more.  I usually have 1 BPD in my tactics with POOD on and even then, the amount of times he play passes to no-one upfield is unreal.  I wish SI would either change the name of the role or remove the risky pass trait.  

PS - I get BPD’s do make risky passes but they don’t do it all the time or as much as it happens in FM

Play out of defense without BPD will result in excessive amount of passes between defenders and you will struggle against high press. The « take more risk » pi is here to balance the shorter passing 

On 07/12/2022 at 14:23, Chingwu said:

Trying to maintain a balance between a defensively solid team as well as being able to break on the counter. 

4231.JPG

433.JPG

Regarding 433 since you lack penetration and based on cautious you are too passive with your roles.

Use more aggressive roles in this mentality.

Check Cleon topic Art of Possesion  to get an idea

By the way remove more often pressing when you defend low