Be more expressive / Be more disciplined

I'm sure it's been addressed before, but does anybody know exactly how these work, and what sort of teams are suitable for the instructions.

Logic would suggest that 'expressive' is for better teams, 'disciplined' is for worse teams. Based on the below, I imagine if your team has players with good vision, flair and off the ball, the expressive setting may work nicely:

image.png.b78132f8ef5d816e8ca534656f7cbd96.png

But what about discipline?

image.png.70c8ee03ae8ed2f8c46b8b684debe8f1.png

I'm not entirely sure what this actually does. If your team shape is already fluid with a lot of attacking players, lots of roaming, etc. then telling the players to stick to that tactical shape will not make them robust, surely.

I tend to use 'expressive' when I need a goal and have completely run out of ideas! But I'm never sure when to use the other one, as I have no idea what it actually does.

Any ideas?

I’ve always thought it’s more if you want to ensure your players adhere to the TIs and PIs plus plater traits then you go with the more disciplined approach.

if you want them to go crazy and be unpredictable both for opposition and their team mates then the more expressive one is the one for you.

I don’t select either any more as I wasn’t sure I wanted to be one or the other :D

1 hour ago, Fritz13 said:

I’ve always thought it’s more if you want to ensure your players adhere to the TIs and PIs plus plater traits then you go with the more disciplined approach.

That's what I thought, but then the description says that they play as a stronger unit, with a focused tactical shape. I was wondering therefore if this instruction might actually override some of the TIs and PIs, rather than tell the players to stick to them.

E.g. If you had an attacking mezzala, but with a TI to be more disciplined, would that player (a) Roam all the time, and go wide all the time, as those are his PIs, or (b) Roam less, and go wide less, to maintain tactical shape?

(god knows why you would have an attacking mezzala in a 'disciplined' team, but you get the point!)

As a lot of things in this game, Be more expressive or disciplined will just Change the sliders(that goes from 1 to 20) of specific things. In this case it will raise the freedom/risk-taking decision slider. They will raise/decrease the probability of roam from position and the risky passess. If you already have an high mentality with take more risks on a lot of players this is not a very good idea. I used be more disciplined to create heavy focused possession-control tactics but it surely limits the players of their flair.

Be more disciplined/expressive could come handy sometimes but they can have an heavy weight on how your tactic will play. Watch out

9 minutes ago, Andrew Marines said:

As a lot of things in this game, Be more expressive or disciplined will just Change the sliders(that goes from 1 to 20) of specific things. In this case it will raise the freedom/risk-taking decision slider. They will raise/decrease the probability of roam from position and the risky passess. If you already have an high mentality with take more risks on a lot of players this is not a very good idea. I used be more disciplined to create heavy focused possession-control tactics but it surely limits the players of their flair.

Be more disciplined/expressive could come handy sometimes but they can have an heavy weight on how your tactic will play. Watch out

That would make sense. So with 'expressive,' a player who wouldn't normally roam might start to roam from position a little, while on 'disciplined' a roaming player will likely roam slightly less? Or something like that

6 minuti fa, ryandormer ha scritto:

That would make sense. So with 'expressive,' a player who wouldn't normally roam might start to roam from position a little, while on 'disciplined' a roaming player will likely roam slightly less? Or something like that

It should work like that yes. I don't have visible proof to give(except maybe some more risky passes) but yes.

ChatGBT says:

In football, the term "expressive" is generally used to describe a team that focuses on attacking and creating scoring opportunities through individual skill and creativity. This style of play is often associated with teams that have a lot of attacking talent and are willing to take risks to score goals.

On the other hand, a team that is described as playing a more "disciplined" style of football is one that focuses on defense and organization. This type of team may prioritize preventing the opposition from scoring over creating scoring opportunities for themselves.

An example of a nation that is known for playing an expressive style of football is Brazil. Brazilian teams are often known for their creative attacking play and their emphasis on individual skill. On the other hand, an example of a nation that is known for playing a more disciplined style of football is Italy. Italian teams are often known for their strong defense and their focus on organization and strategy.

Be more Expressive will increase the level of creative freedom that players are allowed to play with, compared to your current level (depending on Team Mentality and individual Roles). Players will roam more freely from their position and try to force unexpected, risky moves by using their flair and vision. 
Overall, this is a high risk instruction, as your team may concede possession more easily due to their playstyle. Defensive transitions may suffer as well, due to players not staying within the tactical shape. However, acting more fluid and being unpredictable, will hopefully help your team to create more opportunities.

Be more Disciplined will decrease the level of creative freedom that players are allowed to play with, compared to your current level (depending on Team Mentality and individual Roles). Players will stick more cloesly to their desired position and will carry out their assigned responsibilities more accurately by being more predictable.
Overall, this is a low risk instruction, as your players will stick to the tactical shape  which may help to transition more quickly. Due to their tactical discipline it may be easier to keep possession, at the cost of creating high quality chances from being more predictable.

Team Mentality sets the base level of your teams creative freedom. A high Team Mentality comes with high Creative Freedom. A low Team Mentality comes with low Creative Freedom.

Creative Freedom / discipline is one of the attacking principles, on which your team may rely on or not. Don't look at it in isolation. There is a very good chance for being sucessful by using either one.

Edited by CARRERA

3 hours ago, b28937 said:

An example of a nation that is known for playing an expressive style of football is Brazil. Brazilian teams are often known for their creative attacking play and their emphasis on individual skill. On the other hand, an example of a nation that is known for playing a more disciplined style of football is Italy. Italian teams are often known for their strong defense and their focus on organization and strategy.

I think the difficulty here is when you consider, for example, Pep's Barcelona. That team would generally be considered one of the most creative teams in modern football. And yet, Henry explained how Pep was furious with him for leaving his assigned position to cut inside and look to impact play in the centre, even when he ended up scoring. He wanted Henry to stick to his position out wide instead. So was Pep's Barcelona 'expressive' (given the amount of creativity in the side) or 'disciplined' (because Pep wanted each player to do exactly what he told them to do)?

2 hours ago, CARRERA said:

Creative Freedom / discipline is one of the attacking principles, on which your team may rely on or not. Don't look at it in isolation. There is a very good chance for being sucessful by using either one.

I agree, that's why I raise the example of an attacking mezzala in a 'disciplined' system. Would being disciplined stop him from roaming (being more disciplined positionally), or would he roam even more (sticking rigidly to his role)?

I guess I've just never been sure what 'be more disciplined' does to the team. 'Expressive' seems to be explained slightly better. It says that players use vision, flair, and roam more. That makes sense. But it isn't clear whether 'be more disciplined' means 'stick to your positions' or 'stick to your roles.' So I never really use it!

41 minutes ago, ryandormer said:

I agree, that's why I raise the example of an attacking mezzala in a 'disciplined' system. Would being disciplined stop him from roaming (being more disciplined positionally), or would he roam even more (sticking rigidly to his role)?

I guess I've just never been sure what 'be more disciplined' does to the team. 'Expressive' seems to be explained slightly better. It says that players use vision, flair, and roam more. That makes sense. But it isn't clear whether 'be more disciplined' means 'stick to your positions' or 'stick to your roles.' So I never really use it!

Of course I have no deep insights, but you have to consider, that there is a difference between the player having the ball or not. Be more disciplined will make the player sticking more rigidly to his position (roaming is reduced). On the ball, he will carry out his responsibilities more rigidly as well. 

The mezzala will still roam more compared to his team mates, as it’s a creative role, but he won’t be roaming as much as he would in more creative approach.

Someone else on this thread was talking about scales behind the scenes and that’s exactly what happens